Single cell genomic and proteomics tools have gained significant importance in the past 2 years. The year 2018 was particularly very active with a lot of platforms made available by both established life sciences tools companies and start-ups. 10X Genomics and Fluidigm have demonstrated the potential for high-throughput single cell applications. There is a constant quest for delivering the lowest cost per cell which is keeping the innovation curve high. Single cell technology developers continue to attract funds from venture capitalists, making it one of the attractive areas to invest in the life science industry. While advancements in the hardware side are addressing throughput and low cost per cell, complexity in the data analysis remains unaddressed, which leaves opportunities to develop analytical tools and bioinformatics pipeline for single cell analysis data. From an application standpoint, while most of the current applications for single cell analysis are restricted to translational research, biopharma applications present the second largest opportunity. Single cell analysis for clinical applications is a long-term opportunity and the company that focuses more on addressing this application will clearly gain the first-mover advantage.
This study analyzes the global single cell genomic and proteomic technologies and workflows and identifies key application areas and concepts that can help companies steer their way toward running a successful business. Documented insights from single cell biologists and researchers have been studied to identify current and future applications across translational, biopharma, clinical, and basic research. The study covers an assessment of the market across workflows, technologies, geographic regions, and applications. These assessments have been developed after carefully studying 23 companies that are currently offering and developing solutions for single cell isolation and analytical purposes.
Key Issues Addressed
- What is the future outlook for single cell technologies?
- What specific applications offer growth opportunities that can be leveraged by existing and future participants?
- What are the unmet needs and challenges in the single cell genomics and proteomics industry?
- What types of technologies (e.g., droplet based) are poised for growth?
- Who are the major companies offering high-, moderate-, and low-throughput solutions?
- What applications are driving the update of single cell genomic technologies?
- What are the strengths of companies offering single cell genomic and proteomic technologies?
- How will the structure of the market change over time? Is it ripe for acquisitions?
- How has the industry M&A evolved between various companies offering single cell genomics solutions?
- Where are the major themes of partnership?
- Who are the right customers/target audience for platforms?
- What do they want? What are they willing to pay?
- Key Findings
- Scope and Segmentation
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
Drivers & Restraints
- Market Drivers
- Market Restraints
- Interest in Single Cell Genomics
- Research Areas of Interest in Single Cell Analysis
- Comparison of Traditional Cell Isolation Techniques
- Analyst’s Take on Established Companies
- Key Technologies and Workflow - Competitor Landscape
- Single Cell Analysis Workflow Technology
- Early-Stage Company Funding Trends for Single Cell Analysis
- U.S Research Center Funding Trends
- U.S Research Center Funding (Y-o-Y) Analysis
- Commercial Funding
- SCG Cores Around the World
- Key Partnerships
Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action (C2A)
- Shift towards High-Throughput Platforms
- Increased Focus on Computational Tools
- Emergence of New Applications for SCG
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
- Mission Bio Gains the First-mover Advantage as the Only DNA Isolation Platform
- The Only Renowned Platform in the Market for High-throughput Single Cell Analysis
- While Seen as an Industry Standard for Single Cell Analysis, New Competitors can Weaken Fluidigm’s Market Position
- UK-based Company Set Out to Provide Competition to Existing Single Cell Companies
- When Combined with Veridex CTC Cell Search Deparray, the Company’s Solution Proves its Potential in the Clinical Setting
- Commercially Launched in December 2018, 1CellBio Aims to Tap into Machine Learning to Identify Patterns of Gene Expression in Single Cells
- Revenue Forecast
- Single Cell Genomics and Proteomics Market - Revenue Forecast
- Single Cell Genomics and Proteomics Market - Revenue Forecast by Application
- Revenue Breakdown by Technology and Workflow
Unmet Needs and Future Application Areas
- Challenges with Single Cell Analysis Workflows
- Future Applications and Use Cases
- Future Outlook
- Key Conclusions and Future Outlook
- Legal Disclaimer
- Computational Tools
- List of Companies Mentioned in this Report
- List of Exhibits