Centrifugal Separations in Biotechnology, Second Edition, is the only book on the market devoted to centrifugal separation in biotechnology. Key topics covered include a full introduction to centrifugation, sedimentation and separation; detailed coverage of centrifuge types, including batch and semi-batch centrifuges, disk-stack and tubular decanter centrifuges; methods for increasing solids concentration; laboratory and pilot testing of centrifuges; selection and sizing centrifuges; scale-up of equipment, performance prediction and analysis of test results using numerical simulation.
Centrifugal Separations in Biotechnology, Second Edition, provides guidance on troubleshooting and optimizing centrifuges, and then goes on to explore the commercial applications of centrifuges in biotechnology. It gives detailed process information and data to assist in the development of particular processes from existing systems. It is of value to professionals in the chemical, bioprocess, and biotech sectors, and all those concerned with bioseparation, bioprocessing, unit-operations and process engineering.
- Provides a comprehensive guide to centrifuges, their optimal development, and their operation in the biotechnology industry
- Updated throughout based on developments in industrial applications and advances in our understanding of centrifugal separations in biotechnology
- Discusses applications for the separation of proteins, DNA, mitochondria, ribosomes, lysosomes and other cellular elements
- Includes new sections on use of optimal polymer dosage in waste treatment, new centrifuge designs for applications in algae processing, biopharma, and more
1. Introduction 2. Principles of Centrifugal Sedimentation 3. Batch and Semi-Batch Centrifuges 4. Disk Centrifuge 5. Decanter Centrifuge 6. Commercial Applications of Centrifugation in Biotechnology 7. Concentrating Solids by Centrifugation 8. Lab and Pilot Testing 9. Selection and Sizing of Centrifuges 10. Troubleshooting and Optimization 11. Flow Visualization and Separation Modeling of Tubular Centrifuge 12. Disk Stack Modeling 13. Performance Projection of Centrifuges in Bioseparation 14. Rotating Membrane in Bioseparation
Dr. Wallace Woon-Fong Leung is Chair Professor of Innovative Products and Technologies, Department of Mechanical Engineering and Director, Research Institute of Innovative Products and Technologies, The Hong Kong Polytechnic University, Hong Kong.