Global microbial culture market is projected to reach USD 2.2 billion by 2024, growing at a CAGR of 5.5% during the period of 2019-2024.
- Fermented foods have grown tremendously in recent years giving way to a profitable market of food culture. Probiotics and functional foods are the new trends in the market capturing the world across, from the US to developing regions. Functional dairy products have created a huge competition among microbial culture companies.
- Microbial culture is also gaining attraction from the manufacturers due to the growing acceptance of the bio-preservation concept. Bio-preservation is an attractive alternative to chemical and physical preservation. Food fermentations offer excellent models for studying the basic principles and mechanisms of bio-preservation, and traditional fermentations may be valuable resources of new strains for bio-preservation.
Key Market Trends
Starter Cultures Remains the Major Driver of the Market
Consumption of fermented food has substantially increased in recent years, due to their valuable traits that extend well beyond shelf life, preservation, and sensory qualities. Fermented food production is mainly carried out using starter cultures for a precise and expectable fermentation. Lactic acid bacteria (LAB) and yeast are the highly studied starters applied in several fermented food production industries, such as dairy, meat, sourdough, vegetables, etc. Dairy cultures are the most prominent category of starter cultures. In China, India, and the rest of Asia, as well as the Middle East, the dairy culture markets are experiencing a boom in growth and innovation.
Asia-Pacific Emerges as the Fastest Growing Market
Asia-Pacific remains the fastest-growing market for microbial cultures in 2018 owing to strong demand surge from developed countries such as China. The manufacturers are eyeing on this potential region and heavily investing to bring the latest innovations and increase production capacity in order to address the growing demand in the region. For instance, in 2017, the US-based ingredient manufacturer Dupont, expanded their Beijing based plant capacity by 115% to supplement the production of microbial food cultures.
Global microbial food culture market is highly competitive and is dominated by several local and international players which leads in a fragmented and unorganised market at the global level. Major players in the market include Chr. Hansen A/S, DuPont, Koninklijke DSM N.V., and Kerry Group among others. Major players are focusing on product innovation in the market to expand their presence, to enhance their brand portfolio, and to cater to various preferences of product manufacturers.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.1 Starter Cultures
5.1.2 Adjunct and Aroma Cultures
5.2 By End-user Industry
5.2.1 Bakery and Confectionery
5.2.3 Fruits and Vegetables
5.2.5 Other End-user Industries
5.3.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 South America
18.104.22.168 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle East and Africa
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 United Arab Emirates
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6.2 Most Active Companies
6.3 Market Share Analysis
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Chr. Hansen
6.4.2 DuPont De Numors Inc.
6.4.3 Koninklijke DSM NV
6.4.4 Mediterranea Biotecnologie SRL
6.4.5 Himedia Laboratories
6.4.6 Ingredion Incorporated
6.4.7 Kerry Group
6.4.8 Givaudan SA (Naturex)
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Chr. Hansen
- DuPont De Numors Inc.
- Koninklijke DSM NV
- Mediterranea Biotecnologie SRL
- Himedia Laboratories
- Ingredion Incorporated
- Kerry Group
- Givaudan SA (Naturex)