1h Free Analyst TimeData Centers in Oil & Gas - Thematic Research
Speak directly to the analyst to clarify any post sales queries you may have.
Data management has become an important theme in the oil and gas industry as the volumes of data generated by the industry have increased significantly, thus driving the demand for high-performance data storage and processing solutions. The upstream sector, in particular, is contributing to the bulk of the data generated from oil and gas processes. In order to facilitate superior warehousing and mining of this operational data, companies are leveraging the advantages of data centers and high-performance computing systems.
Availability of data during exploration and production activities is helping companies in evaluating project requirements and accurately determining drilling locations for extracting hydrocarbons cost-effectively. This is being made possible by integrating advanced sensing technologies with a wide range of production equipment deployed on wellheads, including drill bits, injection equipment, pumps, and valves to collect real-time data.
Data centers are playing a pivotal role in this aspect by providing solutions to big data management. Companies are investing in data centers to gain the ability of processing data in real-time and generating insights for creating revenue opportunities, increasing drilling performance, and improving operational efficiencies.
Sensors and connected devices that form the Industrial Internet ecosystem are triggering a massive data deluge from oil and gas operations. Data centers provide the ideal platform to accumulate this data and apply big data analytics to monitor real-time performance and predict equipment malfunction. It can also serve as a back-up and recovery mechanism in the event of a critical system failure.
A data center is a very capital intensive asset as it incurs significant costs both to set up and then for its operation and maintenance. The advancement in cloud computing has opened up a more cost-effective avenue for secure, scalable, high-performance data storage solutions.
Oil and Gas companies are leveraging cloud-based data centers as an alternative to traditional data centers as it facilitates remote data access via internet connectivity, which compliments field operations. It also enables oil and gas companies to focus on their core competencies while leaving the management of IT systems with the technology players.
The latest thematic report, ‘Data Centers in Oil & Gas’, discusses how rising data volumes from oil and gas operations are making data centers inevitable in data management within the industry. The thematic research report identifies ADNOC, BP, Eni, Equinor, ExxonMobil, Mansfield Oil, NNPC, Saudi Aramco, and Total among the major oil and gas players present in the data centers theme.
- Overview of the emergence of data center as a theme in the oil and gas industry and its impact on operations
- Detailed analysis of the emerging use cases for data centers across the oil and gas value chain
- A brief overview of the major application areas for data centers in the oil and gas industry
- Analysis of the data center industry along with its trends across different industry verticals
Reasons to buy
- Understand the importance of adopting data center in oil and gas operations
- Identify the key applications and trends for the data center theme
- A review of some of the case studies highlighting the growing capabilities of data centers in addressing business challenges across the oil and gas value chain
- Identify and benchmark key oil and gas companies and technology providers based on their exposure to data center theme
Table of Contents
IMPACT OF DATA CENTERS ON THE OIL AND GAS INDUSTRY
- Data center offers solutions to big data management…
- …and plays a big role in disaster recovery and redundancy
- Cloud-based data center is the next big thing
- Energy efficiency of data centers is the big challenge
- Case studies
- Eni’s Green Data Center ensures the highest level of data reliability for seismic imaging
- BP data center helps discover hydrocarbons in the Atlantis field
- Sinopec applies cutting-edge technology to achieve energy efficiency in data center
- Oil & gas trends
- Industry growth drivers
- Hardware trends
- Software trends
- The Internet of Things, the cloud and AI are driving growth in the data center industry
- The mobile revolution is spreading all the way up to the data center
- Optimising latency is the biggest challenge facing hyperscale data centers
- The fireworks are largely at the software level…
- Software defined networking (SDN) could turn the networking industry upside down
- Winners and Losers
- Servers and storage
- Networking equipment
- Data center operators
- Oil & gas companies
- Technology companies
GLOSSARYAPPENDIX: OUR “THEMATIC” RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
- A brief history of networking
- The OSI Model