In Urban and Rural Areas, the Average Ownership of Two-Wheeler Motorcycle Per 100 Households is Approximately 39 Units
In 2018, China produced about 14 million units of two-wheeler motorcycles.
Among them, domestic sales accounted for 47.6% and 52.4% of sales was contributed by export activities. This is a mature market. The country is experiencing market decline for two-wheeler motorcycles due to government regulations, such as driving restrictions in designated areas and times, as well as the market competition from alternative solutions such as electric bicycles, public transportation, and shared mobility solutions, including eHailing and car sharing.
In urban and rural areas, the average ownership of two-wheeler motorcycle per 100 households is approximately 39 units.
High ownership regions include Guangxi, Guangdong, and Fujian, achieving 72.8, 64.2, and 62.6 units per 100 households, respectively. Comparatively, Beijing and Shanghai have relatively weak ownership due to higher purchasing power and developed urban public transport infrastructure.
Two-wheeler motorcycle with an engine displacement of below 125mL has led the market, accounting for 68.7% of share.
Fuel efficiency, economical price, and general short-distance transport solutions are likely to continue to increase the attractiveness of this market. Looking ahead, the purchase tax exemption for engine displacement below 125mL implemented in 2019 is expected to enhance the market dominance toward 2025. Nevertheless, increased purchasing power, especially in the eastern region, is likely to accelerate the market adoption among enthusiasts for the middleweight and heavyweight segments.
The two-wheeler motorcycle market in China is highly fragmented, with approximately 90 OEMs.
Jiangmen Dachangjiang Group Co., Ltd. and Chongqing Loncin Motor Group Co., Ltd. are the key two-wheeler motorcycle OEMs in China. Dachangjiang led 25% of domestic market share, whereas Loncin was highly popular in export activities. They both have developed strategic partnerships with Suzuki Motorcycle Co., Ltd. and BMW Motorrad, respectively.
Since 1 July 2018, the Chinese Government has implemented emission standard upgrade to China IV. In 2019, the newly purchased two-wheeler motorcycles will be exempted from inspection for 6 years. It is likely to accelerate the industrial upgrade of two-wheeler motorcycles, especially in engine and fuel injection technology.
The aim of this study is to research and analyze the two-wheeler motorcycle market in China. This study presents the current scenario in the two-wheeler motorcycle market in China and provides a future outlook toward 2025.
To provide an overview of two-wheeler motorcycle market in China, including market drivers, market restraints, and SWOT analysis
To give an overview of government policies that affect the two-wheeler motorcycle market in China
To identify key automotive OEMs and their market shares in the Chinese two-wheeler motorcycle market
To estimate the size and an actionable set of recommendations for stakeholders to grow in the Chinese two-wheeler motorcycle market
Key Issues Addressed
What are the factors that affect the development of two-wheeler motorcycle market in China?
How do government regulations affect the market?
What are the key drivers and restraints in the market?
Who are the key participants in the market?
What is the most favorable powertrain solution that is adopted by customers in this market?
Table of Contents
- Executive Summary - Key Findings
- Executive Summary - Market Engineering Measurements
- Executive Summary - Two-wheeler Motorcycle Market Overview
- Executive Summary - Two-wheeler Motorcycle Market Breakdown
- Executive Summary - Two-wheeler Motorcycle Market Structure
- Executive Summary - Current and Future Outlook
- Research Scope
- Research Aims and Objectives
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Research Methodology
- Market Drivers
- Drivers Explained
- Market Restraints
- Restraints Explained
- Key Chinese Government Regulations
- Domestic Two-wheeler Motorcycle Ownership Overview
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Domestic Two-wheeler Motorcycle Scenario Analysis
- Forecast Scenario Assumptions to 2025
- Two-wheeler Motorcycle Market Breakdown by Segments
- Two-wheeler Motorcycle Market Structure
- Two-wheeler Motorcycle Market Breakdown by OEMs
- Two-wheeler Motorcycle Export Market Overview
- Two-wheeler Motorcycle Import Market Overview
- SWOT Analysis
- Case Study - E2W Motorcycle Market Overview
- Top Domestic OEM Profile - Jiangmen Dachangjiang Group Co., Ltd.
- Top Export OEM Profile - Chongqing Loncin Motor Group Co., Ltd.
- Case Study - Yadea Group Holdings Ltd., the Top E2W OEM Profile
- Growth Opportunity - Two-wheeler Motorcycle Market in China
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
- Key Conclusions and Future Outlook
- The Last Word - 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- Abbreviations and Acronyms Used
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Jiangmen Dachangjiang Group Co., Ltd.
- Chongqing Loncin Motor Group Co., Ltd.
- Yadea Group Holdings Ltd
- Suzuki Motorcycle Co., Ltd
- BMW Motorrad