The Handbook of Chitin and Chitosan: Chitin and Chitosan Based Polymer Materials for Various Applications, Volume Three, is a must-read for polymer chemists, physicists and engineers interested in the development of ecofriendly micro and nanostructured functional materials based on chitin and their various applications. The book addresses their isolation, preparation and properties and their composites, nanomaterials, manufacturing and characterizations. This is the third of three volumes in a series that contains the latest on the major applications of chitin and chitosan based IPN's, blends, gels, composites and nanocomposites, including environmental remediation, biomedical applications and smart material applications.
- Provides a comprehensive overview of Chitin and Chitosan materials, from their synthesis and nanomaterials, to their manufacture and applications
- Volume Three focuses on the applications of Chitin and Chitosan
- Includes contributions from leading researchers across the globe and from industry, academia, government and private research institutions
- Highlights current status and future opportunities
1. Polymer blends, IPN's, gels, composites and nanocomposite from chitin and chitosan; manufacturing, and applications 2. Chemically modified chitin and chitosan as biomaterials 3. Chitin and chitosan-based hybrid nanocomposites for supercapacitors 4. Chitin and chitosan in textile industries 5. Chitin and Chitosan as Potential Nutraceuticals 6. Chitin and chitosan based blends, IPN's, gels, composites and nanocomposite for environmental remediation 7. Chitin and chitosan based blends, composites and nanocomposite for packaging applications 8. Chitin and chitosan for biomedical applications 9. Fundamentals of chitosan for biomedical applications 10. Polymeric nanostructured materials for biomedical applications 11. Chitin and chitosan polymeric materials for bone tissue engineering and cartilage repair 12. Smart polymeric gels based on chitin and chitosan 13. Preparation and application of Biomimetic and bioinspired membranes based on chitosan 14. Chitin, chitosan microgels and nanogels for drug delivery applications 15. Smart polymers: Physical forms and bioengineering applications 16. Heterogeneous catalysis on chitosan-based materials 17. Synthetic biopolymer nanocomposites for tissue engineering scaffolds 18. Interaction of chitin/chitosan with salivary and other epithelial cells 19. Chitosan-chitin nanocrystal composite scaffolds for tissue engineering 20. Chitin and chitosan based materials for sensor technology 21. Chitosan as biomaterial in drug delivery and tissue engineering 22. Biomedical applications of carboxymethyl chitosan 23. Chitosan: A potential biopolymer for wound management 24. Chitin and Chitosan Composites for Bone Tissue Regeneration 25. Chitin and Chitosan Tissue Engineering and Stem Cell Research 26. Biomedical applications of chitin hydrogel membranes and scaffolds 27. Future aspects of chitin and chitosan in biomedical applications 28. Life cycle analysis of chitin and chitosan based materials
Professor Thomas is currently Pro-Vice Chancellor of Mahatma Gandhi University and the Founder Director and Professor of the International and Interuniversity Centre for Nanoscience and Nanotechnology. He is also a full professor of Polymer Science and Engineering at the School of Chemical Sciences of Mahatma Gandhi University, Kottayam, Kerala, India.
Prof. Thomas is an outstanding leader with sustained international acclaims for his work in Nanoscience, Polymer Science and Engineering, Polymer Nanocomposites, Elastomers, Polymer Blends, Interpenetrating Polymer Networks, Polymer Membranes, Green Composites and Nanocomposites, Nanomedicine and Green Nanotechnology. Dr. Thomas's ground-breaking inventions in polymer nanocomposites, polymer blends, green bionanotechnological and nano-biomedical sciences, have made transformative differences in the development of new materials for automotive, space, housing and biomedical fields. In collaboration with India's premier tyre company, Apollo Tyres, Professor Thomas's group invented new high performance barrier rubber nanocomposite membranes for inner tubes and inner liners for tyres. Professor Thomas has received a number of national and international awards which include: Fellowship of the Royal Society of Chemistry, London FRSC, Distinguished Professorship from Josef Stefan Institute, Slovenia, MRSI medal, Nano Tech Medal, CRSI medal, Distinguished Faculty Award, Dr. APJ Abdul Kalam Award for Scientific Excellence - 2016, Mahatma Gandhi University- Award for Outstanding Contribution -Nov. 2016, Lifetime Achievement Award of the Malaysian Polymer Group, Indian Nano Biologists award 2017and Sukumar Maithy Award for the best polymer researcher in the country. He is in the list of most productive researchers in India and holds a position of No.5. Recently, because of the outstanding contributions to the field of Nanoscience and Polymer Science and Engineering, Prof. Thomas has been conferred Honoris Causa (DSc) Doctorate by the University of South Brittany, Lorient, France and University of Lorraine, Nancy, France. Very recently, Prof. Thomas has been awarded Senior Fulbright Fellowship to visit 20 Universities in the US and most productive faculty award in the domain Materials Sciences.
Professor Thomas has published over 800 peer reviewed research papers, reviews and book chapters. He has co-edited 80 books published by different publishers. He is the inventor of 6 patents and has delivered over 300 Plenary/Inaugural and Invited lectures in national/international meetings over 30 countries. He has established a state of the art laboratory at Mahatma Gandhi University in the area of Polymer Science and Engineering and Nanoscience and Nanotechnology through external funding from DST, CSIR, TWAS, UGC, DBT, DRDO, AICTE, ISRO, DIT, TWAS, KSCSTE, BRNS, UGC-DAE, Du Pont, USA, General Cables, USA, Surface Treat Czech Republic, MRF Tyres and Apollo Tyres.
Professor Pius achieved her BSc. in Chemistry in 1985 from Holy Cross College, Nagercoil, Madurai Kamaraj University, India following this with and MSc and PhD in Chemistry. Her research interests are environmental chemistry and pollution control, polymer composites, nanocomposites, food chemistry, bioavailability - in vitro studies, photodegradation of pollutants, waste water treatments and anion sensors. Professor Pius is a reviewer for a number of well-known journals including Ecological Engineering, Environmental Monitoring and Assessment, Environmental Science and Pollution Research, Journal of Chemistry & Applied Biochemistry, Journal of Water Process Engineering, National Academy Science Letters and Separation Science and Technology.
Mr Gopi is completing doctoral research in Polysaccharide composites for water purification in the group of Professor Anitha Pius and Professor Sabu Thomas in the Department of Chemistry at the Gandhigram Rural Institute (Deemed University), Tamilnadu, India. His research area includes preparation of Synthesis, characterisation of nanochitin, chitin nanowhiskers for crystal violet adsorption, reinforcement of chitin nanowhiskers in polyvinylidene fluoride for indigo carmine adsorption, Cellulose acetate and chitosan blend films for water treatment etc. He was awarded the prestigious Erasmus Mundus scholarship by EUPHRATES, European Union in the year of 2015 and has presented at several International conferences.