Automotive market participants have realized that the future of the automotive industry lies in the direction of electric vehicles, and hence are investing heavily in developing their own electric vehicles. After the disruption initiated by Tesla, many startup companies are developing electric vehicles and challenging mainstreams original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) in various vehicle segments. Logistics and transportation companies are also moving their focus on adding energy-saving means to last-mile transportation options.
Rivian is one of the EV startups with unique vehicle design, proprietary skateboard vehicle platform, battery technology and financial funding from big companies such as Amazon and Ford. The company gained a lot of attention from automotive companies when it showcased its electric pickup truck (R1T) and SUV (R1S) in the 2018 LA Auto Show. Rivian is both an automotive and technology company with a vision to change consumer perception of electric vehicles. Some of the unique features of Rivian’s vehicles are design, real off-road capabilities, 400+ miles range, and 0-60 mph acceleration in just 3 seconds.
As of 2019, Rivian had secured nearly $2 billion in investment from global companies including Amazon, Ford, and Cox Automotive that reinsures the potential of Rivian’s technology to produce and retail a viable EV. Rivian targets a highly differentiated vehicle segment, pure electric pickup and SUVs, which are potential, new markets for mainstream OEMs as well as startups and the reason behind all the attention from automotive and non-automotive companies.
The company will start delivering its first products i.e., electric pickup trucks and full-size SUVs in the last quarter of 2020. It has already secured 10,000 pre-orders. Additionally, Amazon has ordered 100,000 custom-designed electric delivery-vans from Rivian; this has ensured a cashflow for Rivian to continue its business. Rivian also has plans for its skateboard platform and battery technology. Its retail future plans include offering vehicle subscription services and other business models. All these make Rivian a potential company that can change the idea of sustainable transportation. Rivian’s importance in the automotive industry lies in its technology, product design, investor portfolio, and future business models.
This OEM profile aims to understand and analyze Rivian's corporate strategy, as it targets a unique niche segment of the automotive market: electric sports/adventure vehicles. This study also analyzes its skateboard platform technology and its importance in future business models for Rivian. It also highlights investments from various companies such as Amazon, Ford, and Cox Automotive and its implications to them.
The reader will benefit from a thorough analysis of Rivian’s product, technology, and growth strategies and how Rivian will impact the automotive industry globally.
Key Issues Addressed
- What is Rivian’s plan for electric pickups and electric SUVs? What are the future vehicles expected from Rivian?
- What is Rivian’s strategy for CASE technologies?
- What are Rivian’s manufacturing and sales strategies? What are the USPs for Rivian’s vehicles and how will the company leverage them for better sales?
- How will investors benefit from funding Rivian and how will the company profit from investments?
- What is the skateboard platform and how will Rivian use it for growth?
1. Executive Summary
- Executive Summary - Key Highlights
- Executive Summary - Rivian’s Brand Vision, 2019–2025
- Executive Summary - Rivian Products and Key Features
- Executive Summary - Rivian’s 2019 Status and 2025 US Strategy
- Executive Summary - Rivian’s Key Partners and Investors
- Executive Summary - Rivian’s Current and Future Outlook
2. Research Scope, Objective, Background and Methodology
- Research Scope
- Research Aims and Objectives
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Research Methodology
- Research Background
3. Rivian - Company Overview
- Rivian’s Corporate Overview
- Rivian’s 2025 CASE Mobility Proposition
- Rivian’s Partner Ecosystem
- Competitor Mapping for Rivian
4. Rivian’s Product and Production Strategy
- Rivian’s Manufacturing and R&D Footprint
- Rivian’s R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Specifications
- Rivian’s R1T Pickup and R1S SUV Models Comparison
- Rivian’s Future Product Plan
- Rivian’s Sales Estimation and Global Expansion
5. Rivian’s Technology Strategy
- Rivian’s Proprietary Skateboard Platform
- Rivian’s Battery Technology
- Rivian’s Vehicle Charging
- Rivian’s Patent Analysis
6. Rivian’s Sales Strategy and Targeted Unique Selling Propositions
- Rivian Sales and Channel Strategy - In-store Digitization
- Rivian’s Unique Selling Propositions
- Rivian’s Retail Strategy
- Rivian’s Possible New Business Models
- SWOT Analysis
7. Investor Outlook
- Implications of Amazon - Rivian Deal
- Implications of Ford and Cox Automotive Agreement
8. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunities for Rivian
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
9. Key Conclusions
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Acronyms
- Market Engineering Methodology
- List of Exhibits