With about 1,000 BEVs and PHEVs in Operation as of 2018, PHEVs are Expected to Lead Market Growth in 2019
The study analyzes and provides growth forecasts for 2025 for the Brazilian electric vehicles market (only PHEVs and BEVs). In Brazil, about 15,000 EV units (about 9,300 PHEVs and 5,800 BEVs) are expected to be commercialized by 2025. This study focuses on vehicle features, technology, infrastructure, brands, models, and new services in the Brazilian EV market.
The Brazilian automotive market is still driven by the ethanol industry, which may be another factor in restraining strong and rapid growth in the share of electric vehicles. Some of the OEMs are announcing the Flex Hybrid technology that dispenses with the need for charging infrastructure and can effectively leverage the existing regulations and incentives in the country.
Electrification in new services and mobility types is in a growth stage. Solutions such as EV car sharing will grapple with challenges to develop profitable business models mainly due to high asset cost, whereas micromobility will record strong growth, particularly in solutions such as electric bikes and scooters.
The research is structured in 5 key sections that are discussed below:
- Market Overview: The section provides an overview of the vehicles in operation, current brands, models, technology, legislation, and existing partnerships between cities, government companies, and OEMs in the Brazilian EV market.
- EV Sales and Forecasts: This section focuses on presenting the progress of the sales by technology and model, providing PHEV and BEV sales forecasts until 2025, and highlighting upcoming vehicle introductions in the market and the required infrastructure.
- EV Charging Infrastructure: This section provides an overview of charging technology, highlights the currently available infrastructure by connector type, region, and establishment, and identifies the most commonly used chargers.
- EVs in New Mobility Services: This section discusses new mobility services and activities.
- Growth Opportunities and Strategic Imperatives: This section highlights the key growth opportunities in the Brazilian EV market.
The EV market in Brazil lags behind that in the developed countries in all areas of the electrification ecosystem. However, going forward, the market is expected to grow, primarily driven by attractive Plug-in Hybrid Vehicle offers and decreasing EV prices. Currently, OEMs are focusing more on EV launches and sales strategies in developed markets as compared to emerging markets. However, going forward, the emerging economies are expected to make significant strides in testing the EV market with regard to infrastructure, vehicle price, technology, regulations, and models.
EV regulations and incentives are at an initial stage in Brazil. Although the government is developing new regulations to stimulate the EV market and infrastructure, vehicle prices and technology costs are high. This impedes strong growth in the Brazilian EV market in the near term.
Table of Contents
- Key Findings
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Brazil - Top-level Fact Sheet
- Brazilian EV Market - Top Trends
- EV Ecosystem in Brazil
- EV Sales in Brazil
- Projected National EV Parc based on Market Forecast
- Key Conclusions and Future Outlook
- Research Scope and Aim
- Research Aim and Objectives
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Research Methodology
- Vehicles Segmentation
- EV Segmentation
- EV Chargers Segmentation and Types of Connectors
- Brazilian EV Market Drivers
- Drivers Explained
- Brazilian EV Market Restraints
- Restraints Explained
- Brazilian EV Market Challenges
- Market Engineering Measurements
- Total Electrified VIO in Brazil (Including HEV)
- Brands and Models Currently Available in the Market (PHEV and BEV)
- BEVs and PHEVs Models by Technology
- Snapshot of Tax Exemption and Incentives for EVs in Brazil
- EV Pilots/Testing–Existing Partnerships among OEMs, Cities, National Government, and Companies
- Total EV Sales (Including HEVs)
- EV Sales Snapshot by Model
- Projected National Electric Vehicle Parc
- Expected BE/PHE Vehicle Introductions in Brazil
- EVs in Operation and Associated Charging Infrastructure
- EV Charging Overview
- Existing Charging Infrastructure in Brazil
- Charging Station Installation by Location
- Charger Infrastructure Activities
- New Mobility Solutions in Brazil (including Non-EVs) - An Overview
- City-level activities with OEMs
- EVs in New Mobility
- Case Example - Riba Brasil Indústria e Comércio Ltda
- Growth Opportunity - Infrastructure Development
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
- Key Conclusions
- Legal Disclaimer
- Abbreviations and Acronyms Used
- Learn More - Next Steps
- Market Engineering Methodology
- List of Exhibits
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Riba Brasil Indústria e Comércio Ltda