This study reports the findings of a major survey conducted by the author in 2019.
The survey was conducted in the U.S. and Europe (England, Germany, France) and had the following objectives:
- Measure the current use of and future decision-making behaviour toward mobile worker applications and devices
- Uncover preferences and plans regarding a number of related mobility topics and issues in the workplace
- Include a specific focus on two complex mobile worker app categories: 1) Mobile field service management (also known as mobile workforce management), and 2) Mobilized sales force automation
Mobile worker apps are being used by more than just remote employees. This survey identifies the various types of users and prioritizes the many positive business impacts these apps are having in the business sector.
The survey respondent sample was screened to include only management personnel involved in purchase decisions related to enterprise digital solutions. The respondents worked for businesses that already use mobile worker applications and/or devices. These businesses had 25 or more employees. The survey was conducted as a computer-based web interview. The sample size was 502 respondents (201 in the U.S. and 301 in Europe).
Mobile worker apps allow mobile and field employees real-time access to and exchange of information, collaboration, and/or guidance via their smartphones, tablets, wearables, and other mobile devices. These solutions can be as simple as an approved GPS navigation app or basic mobile form. They can also be as sophisticated as mobilized field service management or field selling apps that automate and optimize complex work processes.
Key Issues Addressed
- How many different mobile worker apps have typically been deployed by today’s businesses?
- What are customers’ future plans for app deployment and expansion?
- What factors must be addressed when making a mobile worker app purchase? What are the top selection criteria used to select a particular mobile worker app?
- Do today’s businesses prefer packaged or custom mobile worker applications? Do they prefer cloud or on-premise delivery? How satisfied are current users with the level of back-office integration currently implemented? How important is the incorporation of artificial intelligence in today’s more complex solutions?
- Who do today’s businesses favour as their mobility partners when evaluating and selecting a mobile business app? Corporate software vendors? Wireless carriers? Systems integrators? What are the top selection criteria used to select a particular mobility partner?
- What types of growth opportunities exist for the providers of mobile worker apps?
- What are the current preferences and plans regarding mobile field service management solutions and mobilized sales force automation apps?
1. Survey Objectives and Methodology
- Survey Research Objectives
- Survey Research Methodology
- Definition of Mobile Worker Applications
2. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
3. Mobile Worker Applications - Pros and Cons
- Users of Mobile Worker Applications, By Title
- Current and Planned Deployment of Mobile Software Applications for Employees
- Pros for Providing Mobile Apps to Employees
- Cons Against Providing Mobile Apps to Employees
- Tactics Being Used to Encourage Usage of Mobile Worker Apps
4. Mobile Worker Applications - Securing with Enterprise Mobility Management
- Employee Use of Unauthorized Mobile Apps
- Current and Planned Usage of Enterprise Mobility Management Platform
- Barriers to Enterprise Mobility Management Implementation
5. Mobile Worker Applications - Insights for Mobility Partners
- Preferred Strategic Mobility Partner
- Mobility Partner Selection Criteria
- Mobile Application Selection Criteria
- Preference Regarding Packaged vs. Custom Apps
- Key Parties in the Mobile Worker App Deployment Decision Process
- Cloud vs. On-Premise Mobile Apps Implementation
6. Mobile Field Service Management Solutions
- Defining Mobile Field Service Management
- Types of Field Services Provided
- Current and Planned Deployment of a Mobile Field Service Management Solution
- Mobile Field Service Management Implementation
- Prioritized Mobile Field Service Management Capabilities
- Degree of Current FSM Integration with Other Systems
- Top Business Impacts of Mobile Field Service Management
- Mobile Field Service Management Plans Regarding Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Barriers to Implementation of Mobile Field Service Management
- Respondents’ Primary Mobile Field Service Management Brand
7. Mobilized Sales Force Automation Solutions
- Summary - Brand Consideration and Preference
- Types of Field Sales Personnel Employed
- Current and Planned Deployment of a Mobilized Sales Force Automation Solution
- Mobilized Sales Force Automation Implementation
- Prioritized Mobilized Sales Force Automation Capabilities
- Degree of Current SFA Integration with Other Systems
- Top Business Impacts of Mobilized Sales Force Automation
- Mobilized Sales Force Automation Plans Regarding Artificial Intelligence and Machine Learning
- Barriers to Implementation of Mobilized Sales Force Automation
- Respondents’ Primary Mobilized Sales Force Automation Brand
8. Respondent Demographics
- Survey Respondents - Global Annual Revenue
- Survey Respondents - Past Year’s Revenue Growth
- Survey Respondents - Last Year’s Net Profit Margin
- Survey Respondents - Top 2020 Enterprise Digital Solution Investments
- Survey Respondents - Main Location of IT/Telecom Assets
- Survey Respondents - Total Employees
- Survey Respondents - Decision-Making Role
- Survey Respondents - Industry Mix
- Survey Respondents - By Job Title
9. The Last Word
- Legal Disclaimer
- List of Exhibits