Transplantation is among one of the preferred treatment options for many patients suffering from end-stage renal disease and undergoing chronic dialysis therapy. Additionally, transplantation is a viable option considered in cases associated with heart, liver, and bone marrow. In many of the liver associated transplantation, there is significant relation with kidney dysfunction, which includes end-stage renal disorders.
In the case of heart transplants, there is significant attention given to diagnostics associated with pulmonary function and overall health. In the past decade, the diagnostics have improved significantly with companies committed to developing better HLA typing technologies, antibody monitoring, instrument, and software. This is gradually being used for diagnostics during transplantation across different organs of the body.
Along with technological advancements, many transplant procedures are being performed by the multispeciality hospitals in the developed markets, as well as growing funding opportunities provided by the government and private collaborations. The diagnosis in transplants is done at the donor's and patient's end, to analyze the infection level inside an organ. However, some of the limitations include the high cost of transplants, irregular insurance, reimbursement policies, and social and ethical issues related to organ transplants.
Key Market Trends
Solid Organ Transplant Dominates the Market Segmentation by Transplant Type over the Forecast Period
- Solid-organ transplantation, which started as an experimental approach in the 20th century, is now considered as well-established and practical definitive treatment option for patients suffering from end-stage organ dysfunction. The majority of transplants are done for kidney, followed by liver.
- Some of the technologies used during solid organ transplants include the emergence of molecular diagnostics. However, the most significant yield is obtained from PCR-based techniques, which are widely accepted and used across the world.
- There is no gold standard for the transplant diagnostics. However, the World Health Organization recommended specific guidelines and tests, before and after the transplant procedures, related to chronic advanced kidney diseases. The other transplant type is still at an experimental stage of development, which is expected to grow at a healthy rate over the forecast period.
North America is Expected to Dominate the Market Among Other Regions over the Forecast Period
- Countries, like the United States and Canada, are well-equipped with the funded organizations, infrastructure, and government participation in raising funds and awareness, to promote transplantation of organs for patients. There are several initiatives and awareness programs conducted by companies, such as Roche collaborating with various hospitals, and organizations, like the American Transplant Foundation, to boost the organ donor rate. These companies are advanced in marketing new products for faster diagnostics of diseases, before and after the transplants, which are well accepted by the private organizations and governments of the United States and Canada.
- Although there are more than 0.1 million awaiting transplants, mostly for kidney, there has been a steady rise in the number of liver donor rates, followed by the deceased donor rate. This shows the improvement and demand for more diagnostics facilities across the healthcare sector related to transplant. With a large section of the population across the world approach these two nations for better healthcare facilities, the region is expected to be very lucrative for growth and dominance of transplant over the forecast period.
The technological advancements, in terms of reagents effectiveness, affordability, clinicians' decision making and raising awareness, and proper organ preservation facilities, are some of the present-day opportunities and challenges that the companies are expected to overcome, during the forecast period. Some of the major companies expanding in the transplant diagnostics market include Abbott Laboratories, Biomérieux SA, F Hoffmann La Roche AG, Qiagen NV, and Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Transplant Procedures
4.2.2 Technological Advacements in Transplant Diagnostics
4.2.3 Government and Private Collaboration into Funding Research of Target Diseases
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Cost of Transplant
4.3.2 Insurance and Reimbursement Policies
4.3.3 Social and Ethical Issues Related to Organ Transplant
4.4 Porter’s Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
184.108.40.206 PCR-based Molecular Assays
220.127.116.11 Sequencing-based Molecular Assays
5.2 By Product
5.3 By Transplant Type
5.3.1 Solid Organ
5.3.2 Stem Cell
5.3.3 Soft Tissue
5.4 By Application
5.5 By Geography
5.5.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.5.3 Asia Pacific
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia Pacific
5.5.4 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
5.5.5 South America
22.214.171.124 Rest of South America
6.1.1 Abbott Laboratories
6.1.2 Becton, Dickinson and Company
6.1.3 Biomérieux SA
6.1.4 Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
6.1.6 F Hoffman-La Roche AG
6.1.7 Hologic Inc.
6.1.8 Illumina Inc.
6.1.9 Qiagen NV
6.1.10 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Abbott Laboratories
- Becton, Dickinson and Company
- Biomérieux SA
- Bio-Rad Laboratories Inc.
- F Hoffman-La Roche AG
- Hologic Inc.
- Illumina Inc.
- Qiagen NV
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.