The Chinese automotive seat market (henceforth referred to as the market studied) is anticipated to register a CAGR of about 3.77% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- In China, the passenger car production reached 23,529,000 units in 2018, reflecting a 5.2% decline Y-o-Y, while sales reached 23,710,000 units, reflecting a 4.1% decline Y-o-Y.
- Intending to increase the sales of cars, the Chinese government, in January 2019, introduced numerous measures. The National Development and Reform Commission (NDRC) announced that the restrictions are expected to be loosened on the second-hand automobile market, and appropriate subsidies are likely to be provided to boost the rural sales of some vehicles, as well as the purchase of new energy vehicles. This, in turn, is expected to drive the demand for and sales of vehicles at a slow pace, eventually propelling the market for automotive seats in the country.
- Adient PLC, Faurecia, Lear Corporation, Magna International, and Toyota Boshoku are the key players operating in the market studied, and they are aiming to gain a competitive edge over each other.
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand for Ventilated Seats
At present, cars are all about luxury, comfort, and best driving experiences. Seats are the integral part of driving experience, and in order to improve comfort and luxury, all the automobile manufacturers are trying to provide best seating experience by offering more passenger friendly seats in cars. One of the latest trends in the automotive seats market in China or any part of the world is ventilated seats, especially in the budget segment vehicles. These seats are meant to offer comfort and healthy experience to the occupant. Ventilated seats contain small seat ventilation fans, which direct air through the seat onto the occupant.
The production trend of cars till 2018 has contributed to a direct increase in the demand for seat assembly. Owing to the rising air pollution and extreme climatic conditions in the country, the preference and usage pattern of air conditioning have been prevalent in serving the occupants. Moreover, the increasing average drive time spent in vehicles has led to a rise in the demand for ventilated seats in luxury automobiles.
In 2019, the country noticed a decline of 3% in the SUV sales, when compared to that of 2018, registering 10.35 million units. However, the country remains as a top market in the SUV segment at a global level. In the recent launches of new SUV models, the front seats have been equipped with ventilated seats. For instance, in 2018, GAC Trumpchi launched next-generation Trumpchi GS5 compact SUV, equipped with ventilation systems for front seats. Similarly, SWM launched the G01 compact SUV, equipped with high-quality leather seats that feature ventilation designs (the main seat is equipped with a heating system). The trend of ventilated seats and the increasing demand in the SUV segment may drive the market studied in the future.
Leather Seats are Likely to Lead the Seat Market in China
The genuine leather is majorly used in the premium segment cars, as leather is seen as luxury in cars. In 2018, the sales volume of the Chinese luxury car market reached 2.82 million units, a year-on-year growth rate of 8%, however, the growth rate was relatively slow. In 2017, the sales volume of the market was 2.61 million units, a year-on-year growth rate of 17%.
The growing sales of premium cars will be an opportunity for the genuine leather segment, as customers are demanding for tailor-made solutions, and this trend has picked up pace by introducing combine modules, to compose the car seats in luxury cars.
Major players in the china automotive seats market are Yanfeng Adient Seating Co., Ltd., Lear Corporation, Faurecia SE, Magna International Inc, and among others. Lear corporation occupied a significant share in the china automotive seats market followed by Yanfeng Adient Seating Co., Ltd and Faurecia SE respectively. For being ahead in the competition the companies are making new joint ventures and expanding their presence in the country. For instance,
- In September 2019, Yanfeng Automotive Trim Systems Co. Ltd announced a plan to consolidate the development functions of its interior, seat, electronics, safety, and exterior departments. It'll set up a new company called Yanfeng Technology Co., Ltd., which will accelerate the development of intelligent cabins. The company may incorporate digital technology into seat parts and systems
- In July 2018, Faurecia and BYD entered into joint venture worth of CNY 200 million (30% for BYD, 70% for Faurecia). Faurecia rented BYD’s existing factory for production, with an annual production capacity of over 700,000 seats and reach annual sales revenue of more than RMB 2 billion in 2022. Under the JV Faurecia will supply complete car seats, seat framework, seat foaming and seat trims to the BYD.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.3 Other Materials
5.2 By Technology
5.2.1 Standard Seats
5.2.2 Powered Seats
5.2.3 Ventilated Seats
5.3 By Vehicle Type
5.3.1 Passenger Cars
5.3.2 Commercial Vehicles
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 Yanfeng Adient Seating Co. Ltd
6.2.2 Lear Corporation
6.2.3 Toyota Boshoku
6.2.4 Jifeng Auto Parts Co. Ltd
6.2.5 Magna International Inc.
6.2.6 Faurecia SE
6.2.7 NHK Spring Co. Ltd
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Yanfeng Adient Seating Co. Ltd
- Lear Corporation
- Toyota Boshoku
- Jifeng Auto Parts Co. Ltd
- Magna International Inc.
- Faurecia SE
- NHK Spring Co. Ltd