The Organ Transplant Immunosuppressant Drugs Market is expected to register a CAGR of 3.5% during the forecast period. Organ transplantation is a medical procedure used to replace a damaged or missing organ by removing it from the donor and placing in the body of the recipient and this can be done either when the donor and the recipient are at the same location or the organs are transported from the donor location to the recipient. Organs such as kidneys, liver, heart, lungs, pancreas, etc. can be successfully transplanted, and among them, kidney transplants are the most common, followed by liver transplants and then heart transplants.
Immunosuppressants or anti-rejection drugs are the categories of drugs that lower the body's ability to reject a transplanted organ. There are two types of immunosuppressants drugs, induction and maintenance drugs, induction drugs used at the time of transplant and maintenance drugs used for the long term. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), approximately 100,800 solid organ transplants are performed every year worldwide among them 69,400 kidney transplants, 20,200 liver transplants, 5,400 heart transplants, 3,400 lung transplants, and 2,400 pancreas transplants. Increasing the incidence of chronic ailments and technological advancements in tissue engineering and organ transplantations are the key driving factors in the organ transplant immunosuppressant drugs market.
Key Market Trends
Calcineurin Inhibitors Segment is Expected to Hold a Major Market Share in the Organ Transplant Immunosuppressant Drugs Market
- Calcineurin inhibitors are medicines that inhibit the action of calcineurin which is an enzyme that activates T-cells of the immune system. These inhibitors exert their effects by reducing interleukin-2 production and receptor expression, leading to a reduction in T-cell activation.
- According to the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services and Health Resources and Services Administration, more than 113,000 people were in need of transplants as of 2019 and 36,528 transplants were performed in the year 2018.
- Calcineurin Inhibitors segment holds a significant market share in the organ transplant immunosuppressant drugs market and is anticipated to show a similar trend over the forecast period due to effective and have been used in kidney transplant recipients for a long period, even though they hold extensive toxicity profile.
- Rising incidence of kidney failures which increases the demand for kidney transplantation and technological advancements in organ transplantations are the key driving factors in the calcineurin inhibitors segment.
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Share in the Market and Expected to do Same in the Forecast Period
North America is expected to hold a major market share in the global organ transplant immunosuppressant drugs market due to the high number of transplant procedures, increasing incidence of chronic ailments and the presence of favorable reimbursement policies in this region. According to the Disease Control and Prevention (CDC), the most commonly transplanted organs in the United States are kidney, liver, heart, lungs, pancreas, and intestine. A total number of transplant procedures is dependent on the number of donors, as on an average every day, there are about 75,000 people on the active waiting list for organ transplantation. Furthermore, technological advancements in tissue engineering and organ transplantations, increasing healthcare spending and the presence of well-established healthcare infrastructure is also fueling the growth of the overall regional market to a large extent.
The Organ Transplant Immunosuppressant Drugs Market is fragmented competitive and consists of several major players. In terms of market share, few of the major players are currently dominating the market. Some of the companies which are currently dominating the market are Astellas Pharma, Inc, Sanofi (Genzyme), Bristol-Myers Squibb Company, Novartis AG, F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd, GlaxoSmithKline Plc, Accord Healthcare Ltd, Mylan Laboratories, Inc, Dr. Reddy’s Laboratories Ltd and Veloxis Pharmaceuticals A/S.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Rising Incidence of Chronic Ailments Increases Demand for Transplantations
4.2.2 Technological Advancements in Tissue Engineering and Organ Transplantations
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 High Cost of Transplantation
4.3.2 Low Availability of Organs
4.4 Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.1 Calcineurin Inhibitors
5.1.2 Antiproliferative Agents
5.1.3 mTOR Inhibitor
5.1.5 Others Drug Class
5.2 By Transplant Type
5.2.6 Other Transplant Type
5.3.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.4 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
5.3.5 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
6.1.1 Astellas Pharma, Inc
6.1.2 Sanofi (Genzyme)
6.1.3 Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
6.1.4 Novartis AG
6.1.5 F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
6.1.6 GlaxoSmithKline Plc
6.1.7 Accord Healthcare Ltd
6.1.8 Mylan Laboratories, Inc
6.1.9 Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd
6.1.10 Veloxis Pharmaceuticals A/S
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Astellas Pharma, Inc
- Sanofi (Genzyme)
- Bristol-Myers Squibb Company
- Novartis AG
- F. Hoffmann-La Roche Ltd
- GlaxoSmithKline Plc
- Accord Healthcare Ltd
- Mylan Laboratories, Inc
- Dr. Reddy's Laboratories Ltd
- Veloxis Pharmaceuticals A/S