The market for biomedical textiles is expected to grow at a CAGR of about 6% globally during the forecast period. The major factors driving the market are the rising number of surgeries and the growing need for high-quality wound dressing material are driving the market growth. On the flip side, the high cost of vascular grafts & artificial skin and the complexity in the integration of electronic circuits in textiles for data processing are hindering the market growth.
- The implantable segment is expected to dominate the global biomedical textile market over the forecast period.
- North America region represents the largest market over the forecast period owing to the increasing consumption from countries such as the United States, and Canada.
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand from the Implantable Segment
- Biomedical textiles have been increasingly used as a substitute to replace and aid damaged body parts by surgeons and physicians. Biomedical textile finds its application in artificial arteries, sutures, and vascular grafts, among others.
- Vascular grafts made of biomedical textiles are used as an artificial vein or artery that is implanted in the heart to replace the original vein or artery that is blocked or weakened. Veins or arteries ranging from 6 mm to 1 cm in diameter can be replaced by grafts.
- Biomedical textile is also used in various orthopedic operations, such as sutures, joint and ligament fixation, reconstruction devices, and spinal fixation tethers, among others.
- The rising number of surgical procedures, growing aging population, increasing prevalence of chronic diseases, technological advancements, and favorable healthcare policies in the developed regions are driving the demand for implantable surgeries, which in turn, is expected to drive the market for biomedical textiles through the years to come.
North America Region to Dominate the Market
- North America is expected to dominate the global market, owing to the highly developed healthcare sector in the United States, coupled with the continuous investments done in the region to advance the medical technology sector through the years.
- Moreover, with the growing obesity issues in the country, most populations getting affected with various diseases, and the increasing need for various medical attention in the country, the demand for biomedical textiles in various applications is increasing.
- According to the US Food and Drug Administration (FDA), on an annual scale, more than 1 million hernia procedures are performed in the United States, owing to the growing issue of obesity among the general population in the country.
- According to the National Institutes of Health, somewhere between 10% and 15% of the US population suffers from gallstones in the bile duct. Furthermore, more than 5 million Americans are affected by valve-related heart diseases each year.
- Performing such surgeries requires advanced medical devices and components, including biomedical textile. Continuous growth in the prevalence of diseases among the American population is expected to drive the market for biomedical textiles through the years to come.
The biomedical textiles market is partially consolidated in nature, with a few major players dominating a significant portion of the market. Some of the major companies are Johnson & Johnson Services Inc., Integra LifeSciences Corporation, B. Braun Melsungen AG, Medline Industries Inc., and Bally Ribbon Mills, among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.1.1 Rising Number of Surgeries
4.1.2 Growing Need for High-Quality Wound Dressing Material
4.2.1 High Cost of Vascular Grafts and Artificial Skin
4.2.2 Complication in Integration of Electronics Circuits in Textiles for Data Processing
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porters Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5.1.1 Non-biodegradable Fiber
5.1.2 Biodegradable Fiber
5.2 Fabric Type
5.2.3 Other Fabric Types
5.3.3 Other Applications
188.8.131.52 South Korea
184.108.40.206 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.2 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 United Kingdom
22.214.171.124 Rest of Europe
5.4.4 Rest of the World
6.2 Market Share (%)/Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 B. Braun Melsungen AG
6.4.2 Bally Ribbon Mills
6.4.3 BSN medical
6.4.4 Cardinal Health
6.4.6 Integra LifeSciences Corporation
6.4.7 Johnson & Johnson Services Inc.
6.4.8 Medline Industries Inc.
6.4.9 Meister & Cie AG
6.4.10 HARTMANN USA Inc.
6.4.11 Secant Group LLC
7.2 Other Opportunities
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- B. Braun Melsungen AG
- Bally Ribbon Mills
- BSN medical
- Cardinal Health
- Integra LifeSciences Corporation
- Johnson & Johnson Services Inc.
- Medline Industries Inc.
- Meister & Cie AG
- HARTMANN USA Inc.
- Secant Group LLC