German Doner Kebab is a franchise business established in 1989 offering a gourmet take on the doner kebab concept. Having grown from its native Germany and backed by a Scottish-based global franchisee, the brand is expanding rapidly, especially in the UK, and was recently voted the number-one place to eat in London.
Often synonymous with cheap, decidedly non-premium eating occasions, a trend has emerged elevating the humble doner kebab to a much more premium, healthy, and influencer-friendly status in recent years. The brand German Doner Kebab is at the core of this ongoing development.
- GDK has effectively sought to reposition the doner kebab, changing consumer perceptions of what the fast-food staple can be.
- Freshness and local sourcing are indicators of high quality for a sizable share of consumers globally, with both aspects featuring in the GDK brand narrative.
- GDK has targeted the Generation Z audience specifically and successfully. Generation Z's perceptions of a product like doner kebabs are arguably more open to influence. As a generation, they drink less, and have different tastes and expectations.
- GDK has global ambition and has achieved success through an aggressively development-minded franchising operation. Since the creation of GDK International, the brand has undergone significant expansion, proliferating across the UK in addition to its Middle Eastern and Nordic presence.
Reasons to buy
- Use the selection of successful and failed product launches and marketing campaigns from across the globe to inspire innovation.
- Reduce the risk of failure by learning from brands/products that have under-performed: failed innovation can severely impact profit and reputation.
- Understand the relevant consumer trends and attitudes that drive and support innovation success.
- Obtain a broader appreciation of the consumer packaged goods industry by gaining insights from both within and outside of your sector.
Table of Contents
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- German Doner Kebab
- GDK International