The North American calcium carbonate market is expected to register a CAGR of about 1% during the forecast period.
- The major factor driving the growth of the market is the increasing demand for paints and coatings from the construction industry.
- The declining rate of paper production in North America is expected to hinder the growth of the market studied. Moreover, the health hazards associated with the usage of calcium carbonate are also expected to hinder the growth of the market.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Paints and Coatings Industry
- In paints and coatings, calcium carbonate (CaCO3) functions as the main extender. The fineness and particle-size distribution impacts the opacity of coatings. Moreover, CaCO3 offers interesting features, like high brightness, low oil absorption, dispersibility, weather resistance, low abrasiveness, low electrolyte content, pH stabilizing effect, and improved anti-corrosion and rheological properties.
- Ultrafine CaCO3 used in paints and coatings has a spatial steric effect. The addition of ultra fine CaCO3 to paint can cause the relatively dense lithopone to stay in suspension and not sink to the bottom. It can increase the whiteness and luster of the paint film without reducing covering ability. These performance-enhancing qualities have ensured the large-scale acceptance of ultrafine calcium carbonate by the paint industry.
- It can prevent settling in latex paints and can reduce the amount of dispersant needed. It is used even more extensively in the aqueous paint industry. Typically, 20%-60% of ultra-fine CaCO3 is used in aqueous paints.
- The construction industry in the United States witnessed a rapid growth in the past few years, as a result of increased private sector expenditure on residential construction. This increasing trend is expected to continue, depending on the funding for larger projects, such as the Hudson Yards in New York City, among various others.
- This growth in the construction industry is expected to contribute to the demand for paints and coatings. This factor, in turn, is expected to boost the demand for calcium carbonate.
United States to Dominate the Market
- The United States is expected to be the largest market for calcium carbonate during the forecast period.
- The United States is the second-largest producer of paper, globally, with China being the largest producer. The largest pulp and paper mill is in Memphis, Tennessee, and it is owned by International Paper.
- The country also exports large amounts of pulp and paper-related products to various countries, globally. However, the recent trends are hindering the growth in the demand for calcium carbonate in paper applications.
- The demand for adhesives and sealants, as well as paints and coatings, is hugely boosted by the burgeoning construction and transportation industries in the country. This unveils key opportunities for the growth of the calcium carbonate market.
- The healthcare sector is one of the most advanced sectors in the country. The increasing geriatric population and the growing requirement for medical facilities for the treatment of chronic diseases have been supporting the growth of the healthcare sector. These factors are also expected to boost the demand for calcium carbonate in the country.
- Owing to the growing end-user industries, the market for calcium carbonate in the country is estimated to witness a moderate growth during the forecast period.
The North American calcium carbonate market is fragmented in nature, with only some of the top players accounting for a significant share of the market. The major companies include Omya AG, Imerys, Minerals Technologies Inc., Mississippi Lime Company, and JM Huber Corporation, among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Paints and Coatings from the Construction Industry
4.2.1 Health Hazards Associated with Calcium Carbonate
4.2.2 Declining Paper Industry
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products and Services
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
4.5 Mine Locations
5.1.1 Ground Calcium Carbonate
5.1.2 Precipitated Calcium Carbonate
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.3 Adhesives and Sealants
5.2.4 Paints and Coatings
5.2.5 Other End-user Industries
5.3.1 United States
6.2 Market Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Cerne Calcium Company
6.4.3 Columbia River Carbonates
6.4.4 Covia Holdings Corporation
6.4.5 GLC Minerals LLC
6.4.7 JM Huber Corporation
6.4.8 Lhoist Group
6.4.9 Minerals Technologies Inc.
6.4.10 Mississippi Lime Company
6.4.11 Newpark Resources Inc.
6.4.12 Omya AG
6.4.14 The Cary Company
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Cerne Calcium Company
- Columbia River Carbonates
- Covia Holdings Corporation
- GLC Minerals LLC
- JM Huber Corporation
- Lhoist Group
- Minerals Technologies Inc.
- Mississippi Lime Company
- Newpark Resources Inc.
- Omya AG
- The Cary Company