Preparation of Phytopharmaceuticals for the Management of Disorders: The Development of Nutraceuticals and Traditional Medicine presents comprehensive coverage and recent advances surrounding phytopharmaceuticals, nutraceuticals and traditional and alternative systems of medicines. Sections cover the concepts of phytopharmaceuticals, their history, and current highlights in phytomedicine. Also included are classifications of crude drugs, herbal remedies and toxicity, traditional and alternative systems of medicine, nanotechnology applications, and herbal cosmeticology. Final sections cover applications of microbiology and biotechnology in drug discovery.
This book provides key information for everyone interested in drug discovery, including medicinal chemists, nutritionists, biochemists, toxicologists, drug developers and health care professionals. Students, professors and researchers working in the area of pharmaceutical sciences and beyond will also find the book useful.
- Includes the history and current highlights in phytomedicine, along with classifications of crude drugs, herbal drug technologies and herbal cosmeticology
- Provides detailed information on herbal remedies and toxicity, traditional and alternative systems of medicine, and applications of microbiology and biotechnology in drug discovery
- Discusses the nutritional and health benefits of nutraceuticals and how they help in the management and treatment of metabolic diseases
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
I. Phytopharmaceuticals and technology
1. General principle of primary and secondary plant metabolites: Biogenesis, metabolism, and extraction 2. Phytopharmaceuticals: Efficacy, safety,and regulation 3. Phytomedicine: Scope and current highlights 4. Ancient and modern practices in phytomedicine 5. Herbal drug technology 6. Herbal remedies, toxicity, and regulations 7. Herbal cosmeticology 8. Herbal wound healing agents 9. Principles of applied microbiology and biotechnology: Technique for the screening of antimicrobial herbs 10. Application of nanotechnology in the packaging of edible materials
II. Health benefits of nutraceuticals
11. Nutraceuticals and their impact on human health 12. Heart health and nutraceuticals 13. Roles of nutraceutical in the treatment of tuberculosis 14. Important food sources of nutraceuticals for the management of HIV 15. Nutraceuticals for male fertility in human 16. Bacteriocin producing lactic acid bacteria: Their relevance to human nutrition and health 17. Health-promoting benefits of honey 18. Biochemical and pharmacotherapeutic potentials of lycopene in drug discovery 19. Health benefits of glucosinolate isolated from cruciferous and other vegetables 20. Glucosamine and chondroitin in osteoarthritis treatment 21. Phytomenadione as a dietary supplement: Sources and health benefits 22. Application of microalgae metabolites in food and pharmaceutical industry 23. Conservation and sustainable use of medicinal plants
III. Traditional system of medicines
24. Overview of traditional systems of medicine in different continents 25. Perspective on herbal medicine in the Philippines, economic demands, quality control, and regulation 26. Traditional system of medicines in Africa 27. Alternative and new plants
Chukwuebuka Egbuna is a chartered chemist, a chemical analyst, and an academic researcher. He is a member of the Institute of Chartered Chemists of Nigeria (ICCON), the Nigerian Society of Biochemistry and Molecular Biology (NSBMB), the Society of Quality Assurance (SQA) (USA), and the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) (United Kingdom).
Egbuna is also an editor of new Elsevier series on Drug Discovery Update. The series includes books, monographs and edited collections from all areas of drug discovery, including emerging therapeutic claims for the treatment of diseases. He has been engaged in a number of roles at New Divine Favor Pharmaceutical Industry Limited, Akuzor Nkpor, Anambra State, Nigeria, and Chukwuemeka Odumegwu Ojukwu University (COOU) in Nigeria. He has collaboratively worked and published quite a number of research articles in the area of phytochemistry, nutrition and toxicology and related areas. He is a reviewer and editorial board member of various journals, including serving as a website administrator for the Tropical Journal of Applied Natural Sciences (TJANS), a journal of the faculty of Natural Sciences, COOU and as an advisory board member under toxicology for the book publisher, Cambridge Scholar Publishing. His primary research interests are in phytochemistry, nutrition and toxicology, food and medicinal chemistry, and analytical biochemistry.
Mishra, Abhay Prakash
Abhay P. Mishra, Ph.D., is an Academic Researcher at the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Hemvati Nandan Bahuguna Garhwal University, Srinagar Garhwal-246174, Uttarakhand, India, since Sept. 2010. Prior to joining Garhwal University, he held the position of Lecturer at the Department of Pharmaceutical Chemistry, Uttaranchal College of Science and Technology, Dehradun, Uttarakhand, India. He has vast experience in the field of teaching and research. He has published many peer-reviewed scientific articles, books and presented papers at many national and international conferences. He is acting as a reviewer for many journals and has extensive professional affiliations. He is a seasoned researcher, filed an Indian patent (Published) on Nutraceutical tablet formulation from the high altitude medicinal plant of the Indian Himalayan Region. A. P. Mishra having twin interests in Phytochemistry, Natural Product Research, Analytical Method Development, and Herbal Formulation Development. He has won several academic awards.
Goyal, Megh R.
Megh R. Goyal, PhD, PE, is a Retired Professor in Agricultural and Biomedical Engineering from the General Engineering Department in the College of Engineering at University of Puerto Rico-Mayaguez Campus; and Senior Acquisitions Editor and Senior Technical Editor-in-Chief in Agriculture and Biomedical Engineering for Apple Academic Press Inc. He has worked as a Soil Conservation Inspector and as a Research Assistant at Haryana Agricultural University and Ohio State University. During his professional career of 45 years, he has received many prestigious awards. A prolific author and editor, he has written more than 200 journal articles and textbooks and has edited over 25 books. He received his BSc degree in engineering from Punjab Agricultural University, Ludhiana, India; his MSc and PhD degrees from Ohio State University, Columbus; and his Master of Divinity degree from Puerto Rico Evangelical Seminary, Hato Rey, Puerto Rico, USA.