The global pipeline maintenance service market is expected to grow at a CAGR of approximately 2.8% during the forecast period. Factors such as increasing development of unconventional oil and gas sources leading to the pipeline expansion, the bid to maintain output from aging pipeline systems, and the need to cater to the growing energy demand by expanding oil and gas pipeline infrastructure are some of the factors driving the demand for the pipeline maintenance services market. However, high construction costs and delays in the implementation of projects are expected to restrain the growth of the market in the coming years.
- Corrosion is the biggest contributor to pipeline damages, globally. Corrosion is expected to have the biggest share of operational and maintenance cost of a pipeline, indicating the importance of corrosion control services.
- In the coming years, regions, such as the North Sea and the Gulf of Mexico, are likely to experience a high volume of pipeline decommissioning and abandonment. Moreover, it is estimated that within 30 years more than 470 pipelines in the North Sea alone will require partial or complete removal. This, in tun, is expected to create a huge opportunity for pipeline maintenance services market around the globe.
- North America is expected to dominate the market, with the majority of the demand coming from the United States, and Canada.
Key Market Trends
Pipeline Repair & Maintenance Segment to Have a Significant Share in the Market
- The low carbon steel is the most widely used material for oil and gas pipelines, worldwide, owing to its properties, such as toughness, ductility, weldability, ability to withstand temperature changes, and cost-effectiveness, as compared to stainless steel. But it is susceptible to corrosion in presence of air, soil, and water, which is a significant disadvantage.
- The corrosion repair systems are designed to strengthen the pipe affected by corrosion and contain the transported fluid in the event failure. The corrosion repair systems include full circumferential welded sleeves, welded patches, composite reinforcements, and pipe section replacements.
- One of the major drivers for corrosion repair services is the growing share of heavy crude. The reserves for conventional oil are declining, while the demand for oil and gas is expected to register a modest growth. Therefore, in order to meet the growing demand, the production of unconventional and heavy oil is increasing. The transportation of the heavy oil is harmful to the pipeline carrying the oil. Therefore, the heavy oil pipelines witness more frequent corrosion-related problems. Thus, the growing share of heavy crude is expected to drive the demand for corrosion repair services, during the forecast period.
- Hence, with high demand for services from Canada and the United States, North America is expected to dominate the corrosion repair services market during the forecast period. On the other hand, in the Asia-Pacific and European region, where the pipelines are relatively new, the demand for corrosion repair services is expected to be limited.
North America to Dominate the Market
- North America is expected to have the largest market for pipeline maintenance services during the forecast period, primarily owing to huge installed pipeline capacity and government regulations.
- The United states has the largest network of pipelines in the world. Approximately one third of the total pipeline market in the country is used to transport crude oil, delivering millions of gallons of oil equivalent/day to various refineries and export terminals.
- As of 2018, there are more than 210 natural gas pipeline systems, with a vast network of natural gas pipeline network, being used to transport natural gas across the country and to other countries.
- Moreover, over the past five years, the geographic focus of oil production shifted from the United States to Canada.
- The oil pipeline transportation industry grew mainly due to the steady oil production. Directional drilling, hydraulic fracturing, and other advanced drilling techniques have increased the number of profitable oil reserves.
- Further, Canada's pipeline system is highly interconnected with the United States' pipeline system. This relationship has served both countries well in terms of the pipeline networks and is expected to continue to do so in the future with many expansions and new pipeline projects planned.
- Hence, this is expected to create new opportunities for additional pipeline capacity during the forecast period, thereby, boosting the pipeline maintenance services market in the region.
The pipeline maintenance services market is fragmented. Some of the key players in this market include Baker Hughes A GE Co, EnerMech Ltd, T. D. Williamson Inc., STATS Group, and Dacon Inspection Services Co. Ltd.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2026
4.3 Installed Pipeline Historic Capacity and Forecast in Kilometers, Until 2026
4.4 Recent Trends and Developments
4.5 Government Policies and Regulations
4.6 Market Dynamics
4.7 Supply Chain Analysis
4.8 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.8.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.8.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.8.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.8.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.8.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.2 Flushing & Chemical Cleaning
5.1.3 Pipeline Repair & Maintenance
5.2 Location of Deployment
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Pipeline Operators
18.104.22.168 ExxonMobil Corporation
22.214.171.124 BP PLC
126.96.36.199 China National Petroleum Corporation
188.8.131.52 Kinder Morgan Inc.
184.108.40.206 Chevron Corporation
220.127.116.11 Royal Dutch Shell PLC
6.3.2 Pipeline Maintenance Services Providers
18.104.22.168 Baker Hughes A GE Co
22.214.171.124 EnerMech Ltd
126.96.36.199 STATS Group
188.8.131.52 Dacon Inspection Services Co. Ltd
184.108.40.206 Intertek Group PLC
220.127.116.11 IKM Gruppen AS
18.104.22.168 Oil States Industries Inc.
22.214.171.124 T. D. Williamson Inc.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- ExxonMobil Corporation
- BP PLC
- China National Petroleum Corporation
- Kinder Morgan Inc.
- Chevron Corporation
- Royal Dutch Shell PLC
- Baker Hughes A GE Co
- EnerMech Ltd
- STATS Group
- Dacon Inspection Services Co. Ltd
- Intertek Group PLC
- IKM Gruppen AS
- Oil States Industries Inc.
- T. D. Williamson Inc.