The market for Cross Laminated Timber is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 3% during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied are the increasing demand from residential sector and high adaptivity of cross laminated timber in flexible designs and stylish architecture. Moisture absorbing capacity of wood and dearth of awareness among consumers are expected to hinder the growth of the Cross Laminated Timber Market.
- Residential sector dominated the market and is expected to grow during the forecast period owing to the increasing demand for wooden structures looking into its adaptability in stylish architecture across the globe.
- Europe dominated the Cross Laminated Timber Market across the globe with the largest consumption from the countries such as United Kingdom and Germany.
Key Market Trends
Increasing Demand from Residential Sector
- Cross-laminated timber is a structured wood panel made from gluing layers of solid-sawn lumber, usually oriented perpendicular to adjacent layers in a symmetric way which are used as load-bearing parts for building frames, such as walls, floors and roofs. Cross laminated timber is also used in facade cladding and interior lining.
- In Japan on an average about 58.9% of houses are built in wood making it world’s largest country in the construction of wooden houses. The number of newly constructed houses rose from 76,751 units in 2017 to 78,364 units in 2018. A similar trend was observed even in 2019 with an increase in number of wooden structures constructed. Hence, with the huge number of wooden structures further expected to be constructed, the Cross Laminated Timber Market is estimated to grow rapidly during the coming years.
- According to statistics of European Union, countries such as Sweden use 84%, Germany uses 20% prefabricated materials in constructing houses mainly consisting of wooden structures. About 6 lakh new houses in Sweden and 3 lakh new houses in Germany are to be built by 2025 to cater the rising demand from the growing population. This is expected to create a major scope for the growth of cross laminated timber market.
- Residential sector dominated the use of cross laminated timber in construction. Japan leads in the usage of cross laminated timber across the globe followed by Germany, United Kingdom, Italy and Canada.
Europe Region to Dominate the Market
- Europe region dominated the global market share. With growing construction sector in countries such as United Kingdom, Germany, Italy, and France, the utilization of cross laminated timber is increasing in the region.
- The largest producers of cross laminated timber are located in Europe. Some of the leading companies in the production of cross laminated timber are Binderholz GmbH, Pfeifer Group, Stora Enso, Mayr-Melnhof Holz, HASSLACHER Holding GmbH.
- According to UK-Housing Fit For Nature, about 1.5 million new houses made of timber are planned to be constructed by 2022.
- United Kingdom government has announced home building fund of EUR 4.5 billion (~USD 4.87 billion) for the construction of 150,000 new homes by 2022 with timber frame playing a very significant part in this .
- In United Kingdom about 20%-25% of houses use timber frame for construction. It is estimated that around 27,000 - 50,000 new homes would be built by 2022 thus increasing the growth opportunity in residential sector.
- Because of the best application of cross laminated timber that its use reduces the construction cost, time and risk during earthquakes, the demand for cross laminated timber has been increasing rapidly.
- More than 50,000 affordable homes will be built in Greater Manchester by 2038 under new plans to tackle the region's "housing crisis" creating a major scope for the Cross Laminated Timber Market.
- The aforementioned factors, coupled with government support, are contributing to the increasing demand for cross laminated timber during the forecast period.
The global cross laminated timber market is fragmented with top 5 players accounting for a major share of the market. The major companies include Binderholz GmbH, Pfeifer Group, Stora Enso, Mayr-Melnhof Holz, HASSLACHER Holding GmbH.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.1.1 Increasing Demand from the Residential Sector
4.1.2 Adaptability In Flexible Designs And Stylish Architecture
4.2.1 Moisture Absorbing Capacity of Wood
4.2.2 Dearth of Awareness Among Consumers
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5.1.2 Mechanically Fastened
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 United Kingdom
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
220.127.116.11 Saudi Arabia
18.104.22.168 South Africa
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6.2 Market Share/Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Binderholz GmbH
6.4.2 Eugen Decker Holzindustrie KG
6.4.4 KLH Massivholz GmbH
6.4.5 Maye-Melnhof Holz Holding AG
6.4.6 SCHILLIGER HOLZ AG
6.4.7 Stora Enso
7.2 Other Opportunities
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Binderholz GmbH
- Eugen Decker Holzindustrie KG
- KLH Massivholz GmbH
- Maye-Melnhof Holz Holding AG
- SCHILLIGER HOLZ AG
- Stora Enso