The can coatings market is expected to record a CAGR of over 3% globally during the forecast period. The market is projected to witness growth on account of increasing usage of can coatings on food and beverage cans to protect products from contamination. However, stringent regulations on usage of BPA (Bisphenol A) and volatility in raw material prices are expected to hinder market growth.
- Can coatings are primarily applied in metal packaging to strengthen as well as enhance flexibility, adhesion, and resistance. Furthermore, this product is employed in metal shaping process for elasticity, hardness, resistance, and adhesion.
- In addition, metal packaging products employ can coatings owing to its properties, such as resistance to acidic additives as well as foodstuffs. These products find its application in various end-use industries, mainly to metal packaging, as they offer protection and decorative aesthetics.
- The Asia-Pacific region is anticipated to be fastest-growing can coatings market across the world. The region is a manufacturing hub for food and beverages, pharmaceutical, and chemical industries owing to cheap labor and low cost of raw materials. This is projected to boost the consumption of metal cans, thus fueling the can coatings market.
- Furthermore, increasing per capita expenditure on personal care, healthcare, and food and beverages, rising urban population, and a large consumer base has been a massive source of attraction for pharmaceuticals and food and beverage manufacturers to switch production facilities to this region.
Key Market Trends
Growing Demand for Beverage Cans
- Epoxy can coatings are extensively used in wide scope of applications among beverage can manufacturers. However, in recent years, manufacturers have started substituting epoxy-based coatings with other replacements owing to toxicological presence and regulatory policies put forth by various governing agencies. Acrylic and polyester coatings are currently being used as first generation substitutes to epoxy coatings and, more recently, polyolefin and non-BPA epoxy coatings were developed.
- Acrylic-based can coatings offers clean appearance coupled with corrosion and sulfide stain resistance. However, these coatings are brittle, with a possibility of change in odor and taste of foods. Thus, these coatings are mostly ideal for applications in general line cans.
- Beverage cans comprised the largest application segment for can coatings as it eases in maintenance of the flavor and taste of product. Beverage cans are utilized for alcoholic (beer) and non-alcoholic beverages (energy drinks, teas, fruit juices, herbal teas, soft drinks, etc.). Beverage cans extend a barrier against oxygen and light, consequently retaining the flavor and freshness of beverages.
- In addition, beverage cans cool down faster than other materials, such as plastics and are preferred by customers. The surge in the demand is attributed to the rising demand for can coatings to preserve the taste and flavor. Beverage can manufacturers have to comply with stringent regulations laid down by food authorities pertaining to quality of cans. This is anticipated to propel the demand for can coatings.
North America Region to Dominate the Market
- North America represents the largest market for can coatings. The growth of can coatings market in the region is credited to the established presence of food and beverages, personal care, chemical, and pharmaceutical industries. This, in turn, is anticipated to use of metal cans in food and beverages, chemicals, pharmaceutical, and personal care industries, thus boosting the demand for can coatings market in the region.
- Cans production in the region is mainly regulated by the US Food and Drug Administration. Manufacturers in the region must comply with regulations pertaining to coating products. This, in turn, is expected to impel the can coatings producers to develop alternatives to BPA (bisphenol A)-based can coatings.
- Americans are now eating out more than ever before, as of 2019, more money was spent on food at restaurants and dining establishments compared to grocery or food stores.
- Another driving factor behind the surge in growth in the restaurant sector has been the continued adoption of foodie culture by Americans and the rise of the fast casual sector, with a greater emphasis on quality ingredients, authenticity and ethnic variety.
- Hence, with the increase in demand for metal cans, the demand for can coatings is expected to rapildy increase over the forecast period.
The can coatings market is partially consolidated in nature with a few major players dominating a significant portion of the market. Some of the major companies are Akzo Nobel NV, PPG Industries Inc., National Paints Factories Co. Ltd, TOYOCHEM CO. LTD, and IPC GmbH & Co. KG, among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.1.1 Growing Demand from the Food and Beverage Industry
4.1.2 Wide Scope of Application across Various End-user Industries
4.2.1 Stringent Regulatory Policies
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5.1.4 Other Types
5.2.1 Beverage Can
5.2.2 Food Can
5.2.3 General Line Can
5.2.4 Aerosol Can
5.2.5 Other Applications
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
220.127.116.11 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 South Africa
126.96.36.199 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6.2 Market Share (%)** / Ranking Analysis
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Akzo Nobel N.V.
6.4.2 IPC GmbH & Co. KG
6.4.3 Kupsa Coatings
6.4.4 National Paints Factories Co. Ltd
6.4.5 PPG Industries Inc.
6.4.6 The Sherwin-Williams Company
6.4.7 TIGER Coatings GmbH & Co. KG
6.4.8 TOYOCHEM CO., LTD.
6.4.9 VPL Coatings GmbH & Co KG
7.2 Other Opportunities
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Akzo Nobel N.V.
- IPC GmbH & Co. KG
- Kupsa Coatings
- National Paints Factories Co. Ltd
- PPG Industries Inc.
- The Sherwin-Williams Company
- TIGER Coatings GmbH & Co. KG
- TOYOCHEM CO., LTD.
- VPL Coatings GmbH & Co KG