Key Questions Answered
Target audience /Reasons to buy
- What is the evolving market size for LED bulbs due to rural electrification in India?
- What is the evolving market size for electric consumer durables such as refrigerator and washing machines due to rural electrification in India?
- Which are the best performing and least performing states with regards to rural electrification and reliability of power supply?
- What are the likely challenges and pitfalls that may undermine the objective of rural electrification?
Target audience /Reasons to buy
- Electrical appliances companies: Rural India is a proven business case for FMCG and consumer packaged goods (CPG) sector. The rural electrification, both off-grid and on-grid, is bound to have a ripple effect on the adoption and demand of electrical appliances in the times to come.
- Power Generators, traders and Suppliers- Both infrastructure and availability are mutually tied to enable sustainable demand growth and future base demand potential. The report captures opportunities and challenges emerging from growing rural demand base which will is of strategic importance to both generators and suppliers.
- Government Agencies/Policy Makers -The report will be vital for the Government and its policy making agencies who have the mandate of achieving the end objective of enabling sustainability in rural segment through electrification of households and businesses.
- Banks/Financing Institutions/ Investors- The report provides an independent analysis of the opportunities and pitfalls to take an informed investment decision and frame a robust outlook towards rural India electrification impact.
Table of Contents
1. Executive Summary
2. Evolution of the accessibility and reliability of electricity in rural India
- Demand and Supply of electricity for rural segment
- Reliability of supply of electricity, in terms of average hours of electricity supply per day in rural areas
- Major demand drivers for electricity in rural segment
4. What are the headwinds and tailwinds in rural electrification from a regulatory, economic and social view-point?
3. Commentary on the policy and regulatory interventions around rural electrification, and their success
- Government interventions through major policies such as:
- Rajiv Gandhi Grameen Vidyutikaran Yojana
- Deendayal Upadhyaya Gram Jyoti Yojana (DDUGJY)
- Saubhagya, Pradhan Mantri Sahaj Bijli Har Ghar Yojana
- Overview of allocated budget and actual spent
- High-level audit of the efficacy of these major interventions
5. Categorizing of states based on success in rural electrification as well as reliability of power supply:
- Tier I: States with most visible improvement in rural electrification
- Tier II: States with varying degree by notable improvement in rural electrification
- Tier III: States lagging on account of various reasons
7. High-level outlook on evolving demand potential for major electrical appliances from rural areas on a state-wise basis projected for 20208. High-level opportunity assessment in USD/INR terms for electrical appliances across the states9. Conclusion
6. Understanding from a rural consumer’s perspective, the key soft and hard benefits of critical electrical appliances such as:
- Lightning appliances such as LED bulbs
- Room heating and cooling appliances
- Consumer durables such as fridge and washing machines
- Entertainment & recreational appliances
- Other key appliances such kitchen appliances, pumps & motor, water heater, etc.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Bajaj Electricals
- Schneider Electric