The aluminum caps and closures market was valued at USD 12.1 billion in 2020 and is expected to reach USD 15.32 billion by 2026 and grow at a CAGR of 4% over the forecast period (2021-2026). Aluminum caps and closures are essential for extending the shelf-life and retaining the taste, flavor, and texture of the packaged products. Besides offering leak-proof and contamination-resistant features, aluminum caps and closures play a vital role in driving visual appeal, brand differentiation, and convenience for consumers.
- Aluminum caps and closures are imperative for the packaging industry, and this serves as the primary driving force for the market's growth. Furthermore, increasing demand for packaged products is anticipated to augment the steady momentum of the global market.
- Also, the beverage industry is one of the major contributors to the aluminum caps and closures market. Various types of aluminum caps are used in beverage packaging, such as crown caps, aluminum ROPP caps, tall aluminum caps, pull ring caps, lugged caps, and others. Carbonated soft drinks, energy drinks, and alcoholic beverages are among the major end-user segments of aluminum caps and closures. Moreover, the use of aluminum closure in the wine industry is becoming predominant, as aluminum screw caps provide better insulation for the wine from oxygen and have cost benefits compared to cork.
- Further, the cosmetic industry is also a prominent user of aluminum caps and closures owing to their lightweight, strong, and durable properties. Due to these properties, aluminum closures are widely used for child-resistant closures (CRC) in cosmetics, such as perfumes, color cosmetics, and skin cosmetics that are harmful to children. For instance, Ball Corporation recently launched an infinitely recyclable aluminum bottle line equipped with reclosable threaded caps.
- Pharmaceutical is the fastest-growing segment that uses aluminum caps and closures due to its barrier and insulating properties, and it can be sealed securely, opened easily, and resealed effectively. Due to the growing market for OTC drugs, especially syrup bottles, aluminum caps, and closures have been witnessing rising demand in the market. For instance, FDA regulations state that "containers, closures, and other parts of drug packages to be suitable for their intended use, must not be reactive, additive or absorptive to the extent that the identity, strength, quality or purity of the drug will be affected ."
- Additionally, The spread of novel coronavirus has augmented the demand for caps and closures in the pharmaceutical market. The growth was especially high in Q1 2020. Pharmacies worldwide reported an increase in their revenues due to 90-day prescriptions and more customers getting involved in panic buying. For instance, The pharmaceutical sector in North America is highly dependent on foreign markets. The onshore production is expected to gain traction due to the United States changed policy of offshore production of medicines post COVID-19 pandemic.
Key Market Trends
Pharmaceutical Sector is Expected to Witness the Highest Growth Rate
- The pharmaceutical and healthcare industry demonstrates a persistently sturdy growth rate, with surging demand in several regions, like North America, Europe, and Asia-Pacific. Aluminum caps and closures used in the pharmaceutical sector are sterile and are generally composed of layered material. Besides, aluminum can be highly customizable: natural or colored, plain or embossed. Thus, pharmaceutical packaging can be supplied according to the consumers’ needs.
- The increased pharmaceutical production and the regulatory changes are further favoring value-added, child-resistant, and senior-friendly closures, which are anticipated to drive the market in the foreseen period. For instance, in 2019, Growpacker Inc., a contract manufacturer of THC- and CBD-infused edibles in the United States, announced the launch of its patent-pending Cannasafe, a child-resistant lid for aluminum cans containing THC-infused beverages.
- Moreover, aluminum closures create a highly effective barrier without affecting the product’s taste and smell. All materials used in aluminum closures are perfectly neutral from an organoleptic point of view, helping to prevent taste, color, and other changes that occur in drugs. Additionally, the usage of insulin shots, syringes, and injection pens is increasing with the increase in the diabetic population across the world. This is further driving the use of aluminum caps in syringe nozzles, vials, and other cartridges.
- Additionally, The pharmaceutical industry is exponentially growing with the increase in the demand for over-the-counter (OTC) medicines. Most of the OTC medications, like cold and cough remedies (Syrups), ophthalmic tubes, and injections, consist of aluminum hubs, lids, vials, and other closure materials. For instance, as per the IQVIA’s institute report, the OTC drug market is growing at a global rate of 3-6%. Since most of the aluminum caps and closures are used in the OTC market, it is expected to further boost their demand in the global arena.
North America is Expected to Hold a Major Share
- The North American region is expected to have a significant market share, which is home to many companies, such as Reynold Group Holding Limited, Silgan Holding, Cary Company, O.Berk Company, and Crown Holding. Moreover, the food and beverage industry is one of the major consumers of the aluminum caps and closures market in the region. Aluminum caps or closures are also used to store food products, such as grains, typically stored in glass containers.
- Aluminum caps and closures are used in the beverage industry due to their recycling advantages and ease of disposal. Also, aluminum closure increases the shelf life of the product. According to the NBWA, based on the US census population statistics and beer shipment data, the US consumers aged 21 years and older consumed 26.5 gallons of beer and cider per person during 2018. Also, according to the Beer Institute Annual report, 2018, the US beer industry sells more than USD 119.3 billion in beer and malt-based beverages to US consumers each year.
- Furthermore, in the pharmaceutical sector, concerning the environmental issues and enhancing the brand appeal, various manufacturers are replacing outer box products with plastic bottles made from recycled plastic and prefer aluminum closures to distinguish.
- Additionally, Stringent regulations by the FDA, CPSC, and ISO have been instrumental in driving product innovation and sophistication across the pharmaceutical, food and beverage, and cosmetic industries. To meet the regulation, Aluminum Cap and closure manufacturers are increasingly using product features, such as convenience of use, child resistance, and senior friendliness. For instance, in February 2020, Ball corporation announced building two specialty beverage aluminum can plants in the United States due to its rise in aluminum packaging.
The aluminum caps and closures market is highly fragmented and competitive due to the presence of international vendors. Some of the key players of this market are Pelliconi & C. SpA, O.Berk Company, and Reynolds Packaging Group Ltd, among others. Intense competition prevails in the market in terms of product differentiation, portfolio, and pricing.
- August 2021 - Amcor and Michigan State University announced their partnership to support innovation and talent in the next generation of packaging sustainability. Amcor decided to invest over USD 10 million for a long-term commitment to developing the next generation of responsible packaging talent.
- June 2021 - Herti AD Shumen received the approval from Norway Grants for the project GALP Greener Aluminum Cap as an initiative of industry 4.0 for implementation of green innovative production processes. The framework of this project is towards business development and innovation.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers?
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants?
4.2.4 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.2.5 Threat of Substitutes
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis?
4.4 Market Drivers
4.4.1 Recyclability of the Products
4.4.2 Superior Properties Compared to Other Closure Materials
4.5 Market Restraints
4.5.1 High Adoption Rate of Other Types of Closure Materials
6.2 Market Scenario across Different Geographies
6.3 List of Major Companies in the Aluminum Cap Stock Industry
7.1.1 Screw Caps
7.1.2 Crown Cork
7.1.3 Lugs (Press Twist)
7.1.4 East Open End
7.1.5 Other Types of Caps & Closures
7.2.5 Other Applications
7.3.1 North America
7.3.3 Asia Pacific
7.3.4 Latin America
7.3.5 Middle East and Africa
8.1.1 Amcor PLC
8.1.2 O.Berk Company
8.1.3 Reynolds Packaging Group Ltd Closure Systems International Inc. (CSI)
8.1.4 Pelliconi & C. SpA
8.1.5 Nippon Closures Co. Ltd
8.1.6 Silgan Closures GmbH
8.1.7 SKS Bottle & Packaging Inc.
8.1.8 Berlin Packaging (Qorpak)
8.1.9 Tecnocap Group
8.1.10 The Cary Company
8.1.11 Guala Closures SpA
8.1.12 Herti JSC
8.1.15 RPC Group (PET Power)
8.1.16 Hicap Closures Co. Ltd
8.1.17 Easy Open Lid Industry Corp. Yiwu
8.1.18 Shadong Lipeng Co. Ltd
8.1.19 Rauh GmbH & Co. Blechwarenfabrikations-KG
8.1.20 Federfin Tech SRL
8.1.21 IDEA CAP SRL
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Amcor PLC
- O.Berk Company
- Reynolds Packaging Group Ltd Closure Systems International Inc. (CSI)
- Pelliconi & C. SpA
- Nippon Closures Co. Ltd
- Silgan Closures GmbH
- SKS Bottle & Packaging Inc.
- Berlin Packaging (Qorpak)
- Tecnocap Group
- The Cary Company
- Guala Closures SpA
- Herti JSC
- RPC Group (PET Power)
- Hicap Closures Co. Ltd
- Easy Open Lid Industry Corp. Yiwu
- Shadong Lipeng Co. Ltd
- Rauh GmbH & Co. Blechwarenfabrikations-KG
- Federfin Tech SRL
- IDEA CAP SRL