The Microgrid as a Service Market is expected to register a CAGR of 15% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). The Rapidly increasing need for a reliable microgrid solution is expected to further augment the market growth. In the current market scenario educational universities, remote localities, and hospitals are also looking to leverage multiple benefits that are being offered by a microgrid infrastructure.
- Microgrids primarily offer the customers with more control over their energy needs enabling them to enhance the resiliency and reliability, balance their energy use, achieve cleaner energy goals, and to explore other innovative products and services. When they are deployed by or in combination with electric companies, they can help the electric companies in enhancing the resilience of the entire energy grid while providing numerous public benefits that extend beyond the microgrid users to the grid and to all customers.
- With the emergence of multiple wireless and IoT technologies, the performance of the microgrids can now be optimized with real-time data streaming, processing, storage, and monitoring infrastructure, which can further eliminate any human intervention. Manufacturers today are also leveraging the capabilities of microgrids, primarily to reduce the reliance on long-distance distribution lines, thereby reducing transmission losses.
- The on-going expansion of the utility-based grid infrastructure along with an extensive deployment of renewable energy technologies that includes hydro, solar, and wind energy has enhanced the development of grid systems. The decreasing cost of energy storage, and a significant reduction in emissions are some of the major factors that are expected to boost the market share.
- However, the lack of proper training programs and little awareness regarding the benefits of a microgrid-as-a-service solution is expected to act as a restraint towards market growth. These systems are very advanced, and their design and planning is also highly complex in nature. Thus, in order to understand the technicalities of a microgrid system, proper training is required.
Key Market Trends
Residential and Commercial Segment to Witness Significant Growth
- The residential and commercial facilities have large, flat, and open rooftops that are well-suited for installations of solar panels that can help companies drastically cut their electric bills. The rooftop solar panel-based microgrids can not only generate clean electricity but will also provide an insulation barrier that can help in reducing summer cooling costs.
- With various government initiatives in this segment, the market is expected to witness further growth. For instance, in Jan 2020, as part of a DOE-funded program in conjunction with concurrent design, Pecan Street developed a residential microgrid called The Energy Switch. The program was a fast-paced, one-year development plan that included a two-month demonstration and it ended with the NREL conducting a third-party validation of performance.
- Moreover, the market is also witnessing strategic partnerships so as to increase their market reach and innovate their product. For instance, in April 2019, the Carlyle Group and Schneider Electric announced the enhancement of their partnership primarily to develop new and innovative infrastructure projects. The collaboration will result in Schneider Electric’s applying its capabilities in advanced connectivity and real-time insights to current and future Carlyle infrastructure and microgrid investments.
- Furthermore, the goal of this partnership is to develop a system that is capable of taking on large-sized projects such as the JFK airport modernization project that will primarily use microgrids to transform the airport to a 100% renewable energy, as well as modular microgrid-enabled energy-as-a-service solutions for commercial and industrial customers.
- The Enterprises across the globe are witnessing loss of sales owing to the power outages, which is expected to drive the demand for microgrid services in the segment as they offer a reliable solution in case of power failures also.
North America is Expected to Hold a Significant Market Share
- The North America region is expected to hold a significant share of the market during the forecast period. The increased production rates, high-quality power requirements, and safe industrial operations are some of the factors, that are expected to drive the growth of the market. Moreover, the US Department of Energy is also empowering the development and deployment of microgrids in the country.
- The microgrids that are built on the solar and storage technology are expected to expand even more rapidly in the region as their deployment has become a part of the climate-related strategic plan at the local, state and federal levels. The US military has already deployed multiple microgrids on its military bases across the country and the Department of Defense is also actively implementing renewable-based microgrids on its multiple military bases.
- The US Navy is also expected to drive the demand for microgrids. For instance, in Dec 2019, Northern Reliability, Inc. announced that they have been selected by the Electric Power Research Institute to design and build two transportable microgrid Battery Energy Storage Systems (BESS) for the US Navy. These microgrid will primarily use solar energy and the BESS, along with the Navy's site generation, to provide emergency backup electricity to critical Navy electrical loads.
- The extreme weather conditions in the Northeastern states of US like New York and Massachusetts require an improved resistance to the power outages that microgrids can provide. The renewable energy policy has also driven microgrids in California. Moreover, California expects many more installations as the PUC is now responding to the new microgrid bill.
The Microgrid as a Service Market is highly competitive owing to the presence of many large players in the market that are operating in domestic and international markets. The market appears to be moderately concentrated with the major players adopting strategies like product innovation and mergers and acquisitions primarily to expand their service offerings and expand their global reach while staying ahead of the competition. Some of the major players in the market are ABB Ltd., General Electric Company, Siemens AG, Eaton Corporation among others.
- Nov 2019 - Siemens and a renewable energy developer juwi entered into a strategic technology partnership to focus on the microgrids in the mining industry. Both the companies aim to roll-out and continuously develop the advanced microgrid control systems that will enable the seamless integration of power from renewable energy to a mine's off-grid power supply.
- Apr 2019 - Rolls-Royce Power Systems announced that they will partner with technology company ABB for the advancements in microgrid technology and advanced automation. Both the companies aims to create an energy-efficient microgrid solution for commercial and industrial companies.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Increasing Demand From Hospitals, Defense, and Remote Areas
4.2.2 High Investments from Governments
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Complexities in Managing Large-sized Microgrids
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.5 Porters 5 Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.1 Engineering and Design Service
5.1.2 Software as a Service
5.1.3 Monitoring and Control Services
5.1.4 Operation and Maintenance Services
5.2 End-user Vertical
5.2.2 Residential and Commercial
5.3.1 North America
5.3.3 Asia Pacific
5.3.4 Rest of the World
6.1.1 ABB Ltd.
6.1.2 General Electric Company
6.1.3 Siemens AG
6.1.4 Eaton Corporation Inc.
6.1.5 Pareto Energy
6.1.6 Spirae, Inc.
6.1.7 Green Energy Corp.
6.1.8 Schneider Electric SE
6.1.9 Metco Engineering
6.1.10 Aggreko PLC
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- ABB Ltd.
- General Electric Company
- Siemens AG
- Eaton Corporation Inc.
- Pareto Energy
- Spirae, Inc.
- Green Energy Corp.
- Schneider Electric SE
- Metco Engineering
- Aggreko PLC