The market is poised to register a CAGR of over 4% during the forecast period (2020-2025).
- Increasing passenger comfort has become one of the most important considerations in the passenger car exteriors market. Components should take as little human effort as possible and provide the maximum level of comfort. As a result, consistent development is taking place in this regard.
- Component suppliers are working intensively on various new technology for vehicle exteriors with a variety of new functionalities and which can be adapted to the continuously changing requirements of passengers and drivers.
- These liftgates solutions improve vehicle efficiency by reducing the weight of the vehicle and improving fuel consumption. Such properties are further enhanced by metalized paint that creates a chrome-like appearance without the additional weight in case of using the metal itself. This new paint technique is around 5 to 20% less expensive than chrome electroplating and reduces overall weight by 10 to 20%.
- Aerodynamics is also a key aspect in the tailgate, nowadays the tailgates aerodynamics are improved with the help of an active rear spoiler and side spoiler that transfer the air better over the car roof. The new tailgates can improve the drag coefficient by 3-4%, and also reduce CO2 emissions by 1 g per km.
Key Market Trends
SUV will fuel the growth of automotive automatic liftgate market.
The factor which is likely to fuel the demand of the automotive automatic liftgate industry is the increasing share of SUV in passenger cars as, in the first half of 2019, 14.76 million SUVs were sold out of 39.06 million passenger cars across the world. Leading automotive OEMs and exterior component manufacturers are spending of huge amount on research and development of exterior for future vehicles.
The SUV segment is expected to record high CAGR, on account of the rising sales of this segment over other passenger cars segment, passenger-vehicle sales declined at roughly the same rate as SUV sales have risen. Some of the reasons for the rise of SUVs are flexibility, payload-carrying ability, drivability, commanding view from the driver’s seat, and ease of cabin access. Most of the latest SUVs come under the crossover category which are larger, more bulbous cars rather than the pickup truck-based sports utilities in the US.
With the recent launches of SUVs, the automatic liftgates are becoming the standard option. For instance, 2019 Jeep Cherokee, comes with a new and redesigned lightweight composite liftgate that is adopted, which is operated by making a kicking motion under the bumper to open for customer convenience.
Additionally, 2019 Cadillac Escalade a luxury SUV comes with automatic tailgate as a standard for all Escalade trims. The occupant can open and close it by simply making a kicking motion under the rear bumper.
Asia Pacific is Anticipated to Lead the Automotive Automatic Liftgate Market
The Asia Pacific is among the leading automobile producer in the world. China, India, and Japan are the major economies in the regional market that are anticipated to influence the global market too. Regional automotive sales reflected a steady growth trajectory in 2019 despite weak market sentiment in overall car sales due to new energy vehicles.
Luxury vehicles are also driving the market as the automatic liftgates are mostly being employed in luxury vehicles and in 2019 the sales of luxury vehicles reached 179.3 thousand units compared to 176.5 thousand units in 2018.
Some of the SUVs which come equipped with the automotive liftgates are 2020 Honda Pilot, 2021, 2021 Volkswagen Atlas, 2020 BMW X7.
The region is the main market for many global as well as local car manufacturers and tier players, the automotive exterior component manufacturers are doing a partnership with OEMs to develop next-generation liftgate for their future vehicles. For instance, the 2019 Acura RDX comes with a programmable power tailgate as a standard. This power tailgate can be operated by the remote key fob, button on the driver's door panel, a button above the rear license plate, from a button located inside the tailgate, and by simply kicking a foot underneath the rear bumper.
Magna International Inc. is the supplier of the Acura RDX liftgate, this exterior component manufacturer also supplied its liftgate for BMW i3, Nissan Rogue and 2019 Jeep Cherokee.
The Automotive Automatic Liftgate market is consolidated and majorly dominated by few players, such as Magna International Inc., Faurecia. The market is highly driven by factors like advanced technology, more use of sensors, growing investment in R&D projects, and growing market of electric vehicles. To provide a more convenient experience for the car owner, major automotive automatic liftgate manufacturers are developing new technology for lighter and more convenient liftgates.
- For instance, in 2018, Plastic Omnium developed a lighter and more reactive tailgate that can operate in three ways, facial recognition system, touch and open systems that work through conductive paint, and the obstacle avoidance system.
- In April 2020, Magna won the 2020 Automotive News PACE Award for its composite space frame liftgate reinforcement solution, which is employed in Toyota Supra. This kind of automotive liftgate provides 10 percent weight savings as compared to a steel liftgate.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.2 Sports Utility vehicle
5.2 By Material Type
5.3 By Sales Channel Type
5.4 By Geography
5.4.1 North America
22.214.171.124 United States
126.96.36.199 Rest of North America
188.8.131.52 United Kingdom
184.108.40.206 Rest of Europe
5.4.3 Asia Pacific
220.127.116.11 South Korea
18.104.22.168 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 Rest of the World
22.214.171.124 United Arab Emirates
126.96.36.199 Other Countries
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 Faurecia SE
6.2.2 Magna International Inc.
6.2.3 Plastic Omnium Group
6.2.4 Huf Group
6.2.5 Strattec Security Corporation
6.2.6 Woodbine Manufacturing
6.2.7 Autoease Technology
6.2.8 Brose Fahrzeugteile
6.2.9 Aisin Seiki Co., Ltd.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Faurecia SE
- Magna International Inc.
- Plastic Omnium Group
- Huf Group
- Strattec Security Corporation
- Woodbine Manufacturing
- Autoease Technology
- Brose Fahrzeugteile
- Aisin Seiki Co., Ltd.