The mining machinery battery market is expected to exhibit a growth rate of over 20% during the forecast period (2020-2025).
- The global mining industry has been witnessing steady growth for the past few years, owing to the rise in mining exploration activities and the initiation of new mining projects in countries like Canada, the United States, Australia, India, Russia, and South Africa.
- Furthermore, the development of high-performance equipment, with increased automation and electrification, has made the extraction of ores without declining the grades comparatively cheaper, propelling the mining equipment market's growth and thus the mining equipment battery market.
- The increase in mining and production of battery metal such as lithium propels the growth of the mining equipment battery market. However, the production declined in 2019 as the sales of Electric vehicles declined across major EV markets such as China, but production and supply of lithium are expected to triple to 1.5 million metric tons by 2025.
Key Market Trends
Automation and Electrification is Driving the Growth of Market
The mining industry is hugely affected by fluctuating prices and demand for mining products and raw materials. This leads to the generation of low-profit margins for operators and miners. Moreover, the mining industry is affected by stringent emission rules and import-export regulations by the government. It has been found that by raising productivity, profit margins can be increased. This is causing companies to automate and electrify mining equipment by installing sensors and analyzing data generated by them.
Growth in lithium-ion battery adoption is propelling the off-road commercial vehicle electrification market. Since 1990, industry robots' cost decreased by 50% while manual labor increased by 80%. Mining operations, such as drilling and hauling, are now fully automated. Operators are now reaping the benefits of automation by seeing increased productivity and safety. In the last seven years, employment in the mining industry has fallen by 3.23%, and productivity rose by nearly 2%.
Machines use data analytics and statistical techniques to predict the equipment failure, availability of materials in the ground their quantity through drill and sample data. This practice will reduce and eventually end time-consuming activities like face inspection and core logging.
Electrification is primarily under adoption to reduce fuel consumption. Automotive manufacturers such as Volvo are partnering with technology and telecommunication companies such as Telia and Ericsson to develop a 5G network for smooth operations of autonomous manufacturing and vehicles. Volvo's electric battery and autonomous HX2 load carrier is nearly 50% more fuel-efficient than its HX1 predecessor.
Asia Pacific is the Fastest Growing Market
In China, the government is reducing dependence on fossil fuels. This has boosted coal mining in the country. In eastern China, the government has fitted gas pipelines in households but failed to supply gas regularly. This has led to increased consumption of coal by people for heating purposes. China’s largest coal-producing province, Shanxi, has provided relaxation on stringent government policies and plans to add nearly 11 million tons of coke producing capacities to meet growing demand.
In India, coal production grew by 5.17% between 2014 and 2019. Only 20% of Indian reserves have been mined, and this provides a big opportunity for miners. India is the second-largest crude steel producer, and rapid infrastructure development calls for more iron mining. Odisha government plans to auction 17 iron ore plots whose leases will expire in March 2019.
To reduce growing dependence on fossil fuels, China is investing heavily in the exploration of new lithium deposits across the globe. China reportedly invested nearly USD 4.2 billion in South American countries such as Chile and Bolivia for lithium mining. China has also established a monopoly over African lithium mines in countries such as the Democratic Republic of Congo.
The mining machinery battery market is moderately consolidated, with players, such as LG Chem, BYD, and Panasonic, dominating the market.
Key players are focusing on technological developments that include the improvements in size reduction of batteries and increased size density. For instance,
- In February 2020, AESC announced the merger of its subsidiaries Envision AESC Japan Limited and Envision AESC Energy Devices Limited to make Japan a prominent manufacturer of lithium-ion batteries for vehicles.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.1 IC Engine
5.1.2 Hybrid Electric
5.2 Machiney Type
5.2.1 Surface Mining Equipment
5.2.2 Underground Mining Equipment
5.2.3 Mining Processing Equipment
5.3 Battery Type
5.3.2 Lead Acid
5.3.3 Valve Regulated Lead Acid (VRLA)
5.4 Types of Chemical Constituents of Battery
5.4.1 Lithium Ion
5.5.1 North America
126.96.36.199 United States
188.8.131.52 Rest of North America
184.108.40.206 United Kingdom
220.127.116.11 Rest of Europe
18.104.22.168 South Korea
22.214.171.124 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.5.4 South America
126.96.36.199 Rest of South America
5.5.5 Middle-East and Africa
188.8.131.52 South Africa
184.108.40.206 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6.2 Company Profiles
6.2.1 LG Chem Ltd
6.2.2 BYD Co. Ltd
6.2.3 Panasonic Corporation
6.2.4 Automotive Energy Supply Corporation (AESC)
6.2.5 Samsung SDI Co. Limited
6.2.6 Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited
6.2.7 Toshiba Corporation
6.2.8 FW Webb Company
6.2.9 Mouser Electronics
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- LG Chem Ltd
- BYD Co. Ltd
- Panasonic Corporation
- Automotive Energy Supply Corporation (AESC)
- Samsung SDI Co. Limited
- Contemporary Amperex Technology Co. Limited
- Toshiba Corporation
- FW Webb Company
- Mouser Electronics