The gas separation membranes market is expected to witness a CAGR of over 5%, globally, during the forecast period. The major factor driving the market studied is the increasing demand for membranes in carbon dioxide separation processes. On the flip side, plasticization of polymeric membranes in high-temperature applications is hindering the growth of the market studied.
- The carbon dioxide removal application is expected to dominate the market studied, over the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific represents the largest market and is also expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period, owing to the increasing consumption from countries, such as China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Carbon Dioxide Removal Application to Dominate the Market
- Rising concerns over global warming, due to the increasing carbon dioxide emissions, are expected to be the primary factor, fueling demand for gas separation membranes in the removal of carbon dioxide.
- Stringent government regulations on the emission of carbon dioxide from the industries are further expected to drive the growth of the market studied in the future. Additionally, the significant increase in the demand for the membrane separation process in natural gas treatment to capture carbon dioxide is expected to favor the growth of the market studied, during the forecast period.
- In February 2020, the UAE government announced the discovery of new natural gas reserves between Abu Dhabi and Dubai. The newly discovered gas reserves possess about 80 trillion cubic feet of natural gas, and this discovery may certainly help the nation achieve its self-sufficiency in gas production.
- With further increase in manufacturing activities and increase in natural gas explortaion activities across the world, the demand for gas seperation membrane is expected to increase over the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific to Dominate the Market
- Asia-Pacific is anticipated to account for the largest and the fastest-growing market for gas separation membrane, attributed to growing industrialization in the region, which, in turn, boosts market growth and increases the demand for energy-efficient and cost-effective gas separation techniques.
- This growth is driven mainly by the rising demand for carbon dioxide removal from reservoirs, increasing demand for sanitation and fresh water, increasing urbanization, and improved standard of living. Rapid growth and innovation, coupled with industry consolidations, are expected to lead to the rapid growth of the market in the region.
- Additionally, the increasing use of gas separation membranes for the control of CO2 emissions from the industrial effluents is expected to have a positive impact. Strengthening government regulations to curb the gaseous emissions are expected to fuel the demand for the product in the future.
- Furthermore, significant growth of natural gas production in the region may propel the demand for gas separation membrane in acid gases separation in the regional market.
The gas separation membrane market is partially consolidated in nature, with a few major players dominating a significant portion of the market. Some of the major companies are Air Products and Chemicals Inc., Ube Industries Ltd, Air Liquide Advanced Separations, GENERON, and Membrane Technology and Research Inc. among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.1.1 Increasing Demand for Membranes in Carbon Dioxide Separation Processes
4.1.2 Other Drivers
4.2.1 Plasticization of Polymeric Membranes in High-temperature Applications
4.2.2 Other Restraints
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.1 Polyimide and Polyaramide
5.1.3 Cellulose Acetate
5.1.4 Other Material Types
5.2 By Application
5.2.1 Nitrogen Generation and Oxygen Enrichment
5.2.2 Hydrogen Recovery
5.2.3 Carbon Dioxide Removal
5.2.4 Air Dehydration
5.2.5 Other Applications
5.3 By Geography
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6.2 Market Share (%)/Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Air Liquide Advanced Separation
6.4.2 Air Products and Chemicals Inc.
6.4.3 DIC Corporation
6.4.4 FUJIFILM Manufacturing Europe BV
6.4.6 Honeywell International Inc.
6.4.7 Membrane Technology and Research Inc.
6.4.8 Schlumberger Limited
6.4.9 SRI International
6.4.10 Ube Industries Ltd
7.2 Other Opportunities
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Air Liquide Advanced Separation
- Air Products and Chemicals Inc.
- DIC Corporation
- FUJIFILM Manufacturing Europe BV
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Membrane Technology and Research Inc.
- Schlumberger Limited
- SRI International
- Ube Industries Ltd