The market for Silicone Films is expected to grow at a CAGR of over 5% globally during the forecast period. Major factors driving the market studied are the growing demand from the packaging industry and increasing usage in the electronics industry. On the flip side, the high manufacturing cost of silicone films and unfavorable conditions arising due to the COVID-19 outbreak are hindering the market growth.
- The electrical & electronics industry is expected to dominate the global silicone films market over the forecast period.
- Asia-Pacific region represents the largest market and is also expected to be the fastest-growing market over the forecast period owing to the increasing consumption from countries such as China, India, and Japan.
Key Market Trends
Electrical & Electronics Industry to Dominate the Market
- Silicone films are widely used in the electronics industry due to their key properties, such as hydrophobicity, high dielectric breakdown, resistance to high and low temperatures.
- Silicone films provide adhesive release in pressure-sensitive adhesives, which are used for industrial use, tapes, and pressure-sensitive label stock in the electronics industry.
- With the increase in the disposable incomes of the Chinese middle-class population and the rising demand for electronic products in the countries importing electronic products from China, the production of electronics is estimated to grow further, which is expected to in-turn boost the market for silicone fluids and elastomers during the forecast period.
- The total revenue of the consumer good market was about USD 290 billion in 2018, it grew from USD 260 billion in 2017 and is expected to be about USD 340 billion. The market is forecasted to be about USD 530 billion by 2023.
- The number of users in the consumer electronics market has also been growing, in 2017, 7,200 million people used electronics, 7,300 million users were in the market for electronics in 2018. This number is forecasted to grow to 7,700 by 2023.
- These factors are expected to contribute to the demand for silicone films from the electronics industry durting the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Region to Dominate the Market
- The Asia-Pacific region is the largest market for silicone films majorly due to the consumption from electronics, packaging and the medical industry.
- China has the world’s largest electronics production base. Electronic products, such as smartphones, OLED TVs, tablets, wires, and cables, recorded the highest growth in the electronics segment. The country not only serves the domestic demand for electronics but also exports electronic output to other countries.
- The country, further, has one of the largest healthcare sectors across the world. Moreover, the country’s 13th five-year plan prioritizes health and innovation, which is expected to increase investments in the medical device manufacturing sector, during the forecast period. This, in turn, is expected to raise the production of high-tech medical equipment to treat chronic and age-related diseases in the country, which is, further, expected to increase the demand for silicone films in the coming years.
- According to the Indian Brand Equity Foundation (IBEF), the Indian electronics market is expected to witness a CAGR of 41% over the period of 2017-2020 and is estimated to be valued at USD 400 billion. The Indian electronics industry is one of the fastest-growing, globally. The domestic demand for PCB is expected to increase significantly, primarily due to an increase in the demand from the smartphones and consumer electronics industry. Currently, only 35% of the demand for PCB is met by local manufacturers, and 65% of the demand is met by imports. In India, there are around 200 manufacturers of PCB. Overall, the growing production of PCBs, semiconductors, etc. will drive the market for silicones in the electronics sector.
- According to Korea Medical Devices Industry Association (KMDIA), the medical device market reaches more than USD 5.5 billion at the end of FY 2019. The country imports high-end medical devices form the United States, Germany, and Japan to meet around 60% of its total market demand. The rest 40% of the demand is met by local manufacturers.
- Such factors and established industries in the region is expected to contribute to the demand for silicone films during the forecast period.
The silicone films market is fragmented in nature with the presence of many companies eyeing for a share in the market. The major companies are Wacker Chemie AG, Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation, Elkem Silicones, DuPont, and Mitsui Chemicals Tohcello.Inc among others.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.1.1 Growing Demand from Packaging Industry
4.1.2 Increasing Usage in the Electronics Industry
4.2.1 High Manufacturing Cost
4.2.2 Unfavorable Conditions Arising Due to COVID-19 Outbreak
4.3 Industry Value Chain Analysis
4.4 Porter Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers
4.4.3 Thereat of New Entrants
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Degree of Competition
5.1.1 Release Liner
5.1.2 Coated Films
5.1.3 Rubber Films
5.2 End-user Industry
5.2.1 Electrical & Electronics
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.3.2 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
5.3.4 South America
188.8.131.52 Rest of South America
5.3.5 Middle-East and Africa
184.108.40.206 Saudi Arabia
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Rest of Middle-East and Africa
6.2 Market Share (%)/Ranking Analysis**
6.3 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.2 Cheever Specialty Paper & Film
6.4.5 Elkem Silicones
6.4.6 Garware Polyester Ltd.
6.4.7 GASCOGNE FLEXIBLE, S.A.S.
6.4.8 Industrias de transformacion de Andoain SA - ITASA
6.4.11 Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
6.4.12 Mitsui Chemicals Tohcello.Inc
6.4.15 Rayven, Inc.
6.4.16 Rossella S.r.l.
6.4.17 Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics
6.4.18 Siliconature S.P.A.
6.4.19 SJA Film Technologies Ltd
6.4.20 SKC, Inc.
6.4.21 Tee Group Films
6.4.22 The Rubber Company
6.4.23 Toray Advanced Film Co. Ltd
6.4.24 Wacker Chemie AG
7.2 Other Opportunities
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Cheever Specialty Paper & Film
- Elkem Silicones
- Garware Polyester Ltd.
- GASCOGNE FLEXIBLE, S.A.S.
- Industrias de transformacion de Andoain SA - ITASA
- Mitsubishi Chemical Corporation
- Mitsui Chemicals Tohcello.Inc
- Rayven, Inc.
- Rossella S.r.l.
- Saint-Gobain Performance Plastics
- Siliconature S.P.A.
- SJA Film Technologies Ltd
- SKC, Inc.
- Tee Group Films
- The Rubber Company
- Toray Advanced Film Co. Ltd
- Wacker Chemie AG