United States Gaming Console & Accessories Market is expected to reach a CAGR of 3.5% during the forecast period 2021 - 2026. Console owners always look keen to upgrade with the next generation. New consoles may offer a higher frame rate and advanced visuals to attract customers in the coming future. Also, the introduction of new consoles with wireless connectivity will provide a new trend for the gaming console market in the United States.
- Launch of new gaming content with high graphic requirements is driving the market. Console gaming is in the transition to on-demand graphic content, and this transition has already begun. Microsoft announced the launch of Xbox Series X (the successor of its range-topping Xbox One X gaming console). It will pack vastly more powerful hardware, adding a 4K gaming experience at up to a mind-boggling 120 frames per second, support for gameplay with variable refresh rate, compatibility with 8K displays.
- Further social channels are making gaming content easier to access than ever before. Among the weekly users surveyed, 78% of US console gaming buyers use Facebook for gaming-related activities, and 69% use Instagram for gaming-related activities. To help players understand the new consumer journey, Facebook IQ commissioned Accenture to survey 1,000 people in the United States who are aged 18 and above. Combining this data with emerging cultural shifts and an expert interview, this has been uncovered that three important trends affecting console gaming today are social players, community purpose, and gaming inclusivity. The shift towards a more diverse player base is fuelling a desire for brands to better cater to all demographics with the content.
- Integration of newer technologies Like 3D and AR/VR gaming is driving the market. The gaming console is no longer limited to characters fighting battles, completing missions, and conquering foes in two-dimensional space. Now, there’s virtual reality where technology meshes video games with the real 3D world. Diminishing the lines between fantasy and reality, VR is helping create gaming worlds that are more realistic and immersive for today, technology-obsessed gamers. Oculus in the United States sees its future in cordless, self-contained headsets that operate like gaming consoles. This standalone Quest virtual reality headset has 80 percent media and 20 percent gaming, where the Oculus Quest is emphatically gaming-focused.
- Further, the low supply chain distribution due to coronavirus pandemic could challenge the market growth currently. Nearly 90% of video game consoles imported into the United States in 2019 were manufactured in China. Many United States gaming companies, especially those that rely on Chinese manufacturers to produce their products, continue to have supply chain disruptions. These include Nintendo Co. Ltd., which is currently struggling to meet the demand for its Switch consoles in the United States. Most of the Switch’s components come from some of the factories in Wuhan, China. Also, Facebook Inc. is facing severe shortages of its Oculus virtual reality headsets in the United States.
- Further, cloud gaming service challenges market growth. Though multiple services are currently available, Google’s debut entry into the gaming landscape with the release of Stadia marks the first solely dedicated cloud gaming device, without the need for a console. Buying a new console certainly warrants a financial commitment, but Stadia’s USD 119 price tag gives it an edge against the competition. Also, other players are focusing on providing cloud servicing, which restraints the market.
Key Market Trends
VR/AR Head Mounted Display Accessory Witness a Significant Market Growth
- According to a new survey of gamers conducted by the Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers via an interactive timeline on Facebook from June 11 through July 13 in 2019, 51% of respondents, globally, believe that AR/VR is the future of gaming. Further, according to Goldman Sachs, the revenue for VR/AR software for Videogames in the United States in 2025 will be USD11.6 billion, which is highest compare to other industrial applications.
- Virtual reality games can be played on major specialized game consoles, where these games are much similar to PCs games but work only with specific game consoles provided by players. A prime example is the PlayStation VR headset/platform which are preferred mostly in United States in the Home Console Game segment.
- American players such as Sony provide PlayStation VR where these are still the only VR head-mounted display designed for gaming consoles. These are quite immersive and good when it comes to performance. These are part of Sony’s best products apart from the other PlayStation VR games apart from the other exclusive games.
- Further, according to MediaPost, in the United States, users spend around 90% of their time using various applications, from which 50% of applications are gaming applications, including console gaming. It was also found that one-third of all gamers belong to the age of 45, whereas 19% belong to the age group of 34-44, and almost 21% belong to 25-34, which simply means that around 65% of gamers are younger. As the ratio of gamers is increasing day by day, the gaming industry has introduced various applications using advanced technology like AR/VR.
- Currently, the market is in the eighth generation of gaming consoles with PlayStation 4, Xbox One, and Wii U steadily replacing their previous generation’s counterparts. These provide gamers with the superior immersive experience of AR as compared to desktops and smartphones. The consoles are compatible with popular Head Mounted Devices (HMDs) such as Oculus VR and HTC Vive, which provide artificial simulation effects in the games.
Home Video Game Console Platform Holds a Significant Market Share
- There are a total of four home video game consoles released in the current generation where United States people mostly prefer to play compared to the handheld console. As an eighth-generation console, Nintendo Switch competes with Microsoft's Xbox One and Sony's PlayStation 4.
- These all provide home video console platform where Nintendo is a hybrid provider. The Nintendo console shipped nearly three million in the first month of its launch activity, exceeding Nintendo's initial projection of two million, and within a year of release achieved over 14 million units sold worldwide, outselling total lifetime sales of the Wii U. As of December 2019, the Nintendo Switch and Switch Lite have sold more than 6.2 million units in the United States, and Switch sales have been strongly tied to sales of Nintendo's first-party titles.
- Moreover, due to tuff competition among these consoles in the United States, the Xbox team has announced that Microsoft will provide the next generation of Xbox hardware known as Xbox Series X, which seems to provide an intense rivalry to Sony's PlayStation. As one reason Microsoft fell behind Sony in terms of this generation’s console sales in 2019 was that the company unwisely forced a largely-unwanted Kinect motion-sensing peripheral on early adopters. The glorified camera accessory failed to live up to Microsoft’s unrealistic expectations and was partly responsible for the Xbox One shipping against the PS4 as the less-powerful of the two consoles.
- Further, Sony announced to launch PS5 in 2020, which apparently features a Ryzen-based CPU from AMD. Both Microsoft and Sony are attempting to produce 8K visuals and support for "ray tracing" (an improved lighting system for game visuals). Further, two other major games have been announced for unspecified next-gen home consoles which are "The Elder Scrolls VI" and "Starfield."
The united states gaming console & accessories market is consolidated due to the presence of very few global vendors who hold a high market share in the United States region. The leading players are focusing on technological innovations. product differentiation, and pricing strategy, which are the major factors the vendors usually compete on. Key players are Sony Corporation, Microsoft Corporation, etc. Recent developments in the market are -
- April 2020 - Sony revealed details about its new PS5 controller and announced that it has starting to ship the controller to game developers. The new DualSense wireless controller has more immersive 3D audio, improved tactile sensations via haptic feedback, such as rumbling and shaking, so users can better feel what's going on within a game. The new controller also has built-in microphones for quickly chatting with friends, although Sony recommends relying on a headset for longer conversations.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Launch Of New Gaming Content With High Graphic Requirements?
4.2.2 Integration Of Newer Technologies Like 3D and AR/VR Gaming?
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Increasing Threat From Cloud Gaming Services
4.3.2 Rising Demand For Mobile-based Platform?
4.4 Industry Value Chain Analysis?
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis?
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.6 Assessment of Impact of Covid-19 on the Industry
7.1.1 Gaming Console?
8.1.1 Sony Corporation??
8.1.2 Microsoft Corporation??
8.1.3 Nintendo Co., Ltd.??
8.1.4 Logitech International S.A.
8.1.5 Turtle Beach Corporation?
8.1.6 Razer Inc.
8.1.7 Corsair Components Inc.
8.1.8 Mad Catz Global Limited?
8.1.9 Kingston Technology Corporation?
8.1.10 Performance Designed Products LLC?
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Sony Corporation
- Microsoft Corporation
- Nintendo Co., Ltd.
- Logitech International S.A.
- Turtle Beach Corporation
- Razer Inc.
- Corsair Components Inc.
- Mad Catz Global Limited
- Kingston Technology Corporation
- Performance Designed Products LLC