From 2018 to 2019, the automotive market in the Association of South East Asian Nations (ASEAN) shrunk by 2.9% year-on-year (YoY), and total sales reached 3.5 million units. The main reasons include the direct impact of the global economic slowdown on automotive sales and the decline in sales in Indonesia (by political election), which is the leader of the ASEAN, with a 29.8% share.
In Thailand, passenger vehicle (PV) market sales declined by 2.7% from 481,646 units in 2018 to 468,547 units in 2019. Affordable, energy-saving vehicles (engine displacement less than 1,300 ccs) were highly popular with a 27.3% share in 2019.
Commercial vehicle (CV) sales decreased by 3.8% from 560,094 units in 2018 to 539,003 units in 2019. One-ton pickups dominated Thailand’s CV market with 91.3% share. In the top-5 OEM list, 4 Japanese OEMs, Toyota, Isuzu, Mitsubishi, and Nissan, held a 75.8% market share.
The premium vehicle segment is leading Thailand’s electric vehicle (EV) market. The total sales of EV reached 10,194 units in 2019. Plug-in hybrid electric vehicles (PHEVs) held 92.8% of the market share. Limited EV infrastructure and incentives result in the low adoption of battery electric vehicles (BEVs). Top-3 OEMs, such as BMW, Mercedes-Benz, and Volvo, accounted for 87% of the EV market.
Shared mobility services are offered in major tourist cities such as Bangkok, Chiang Mai, Pattaya, and Phuket. The total fleet size of car sharing was 15,470 units in 2019. Peer-to-peer (P2P) car-sharing providers held more than 90% share. Thailand had 92,500 units of the vehicle in the eHailing industry in 2019. Public taxis accounted for 54.6% of the eHailing fleet size. The Thai Government had planned to roll out regulations governing the eHailing industry in March 2020 but there have been no updates on this as of mid-April 2020.
The 3 main bicycle-sharing providers in Thailand accounted for 18,500 bicycles in 2018. However, all of them ceased operations in 2019 due to the tropical weather, high operating cost, theft, vandalism, and poor local management. GoBike, Grab, and Get (Go-Jek) offer Motorcycle eHailing, with fleet size of 44,500 units in 2019. Disputes and conflicts happen frequently between eHailing riders and traditional motorcycle taxis. Neuron Mobility and Scoota provided 850 units of eScooter in 2019, concentrating in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and Pattaya.
Key Issues Addressed
- What are the current scenarios and future trends in the automotive and shared mobility industries in Thailand?
- What are the government regulations in the automotive and shared mobility industries in Thailand?
- What is the current status of EVs and EV-related industries in Thailand?
- Which are the key market participants in the automotive and shared mobility industries in Thailand?
- Which are the main market participants in the connected vehicle industry in Thailand?
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Automotive Market Outlook in Thailand
- Key Automotive Market Highlights in 2019
- Top Predictions
- Growth Outlook 2020
2. Research Scope, Objectives, and Methodology
- Research Scope
- Research Aims and Objectives
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Research Methodology
- Segmentation Definitions
4. 2020 Global Economic Outlook
- Covid-19 Global Economic Impact-Visioning Scenarios
- Global, Advanced, and Emerging Market Growth
- Global Economic Outlook 2020-Top 5 Predictions
5. Automotive Market Overview
- ASEAN Automotive Market Snapshot
- Thailand’s Automotive Market Snapshot
- Thailand’s Automotive Market Breakdown by Vehicle Segments
- Top Leading OEMs and Vehicle Models in Thailand
- Emission Standard and Fuel Specification
- Key Predictions in 2020-Thailand’s Automotive Market
6. Electric Vehicle Market
- Key Government Regulations and Policies
- Electric Vehicle Market Snapshot
- Electric Vehicle Product Launch Roadmap
- Electric Vehicle Charging Infrastructure Snapshot
- Leading Charging Operators
- Charging Infrastructure Development Plan in Thailand
- Key Predictions in 2020-Thailand’s EV Market
7. Shared Mobility Market
- Key Government Regulations
- eHailing Market Snapshot
- Leading eHailing Operators
- Motorcycle eHailing Market Snapshot
- Leading Motorcycle eHailing Operators
- Car Sharing Market Snapshot
- Leading Car Sharing Operators
- eScooter Sharing Market Snapshot
- Leading eScooter Sharing Operators
- Bicycle Sharing Market Snapshot
- Leading Bicycle Sharing Operators
- Key Predictions in 2020-Thailand’s Shared Mobility Market
8. Connected Cars and Connected Trucks
- OEMs’ Connected Car Solutions in Thailand-A Snapshot
- OEMs’ Connected Truck Solutions in Thailand-A Snapshot
- Connected EV Car Case Study-MG ZS EV
- Key Predictions in 2020-Thailand’s Connected Mobility Market
9. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth Opportunity-Automotive Market in Thailand
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
- Key Trends and Recommendations
- The Last Word-3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- Acronyms Used
- Market Engineering Methodology
- List of Exhibits