Reliability of Semiconductor Lasers and Optoelectronic Devices simplifies complex concepts of optoelectronics reliability with approachable introductory chapters and a focus on real-world applications. This book provides a brief look at the fundamentals of laser diodes, introduces reliability qualification, and then presents real-world case studies discussing the principles of reliability and what occurs when these rules are broken. Then this book comprehensively looks at optoelectronics devices and the defects that cause premature failure in them and how to control those defects. Key materials and devices are reviewed including silicon photonics, vertical-cavity surface-emitting lasers (VCSELs), InGaN LEDs and lasers, and AlGaN LEDs, covering the majority of optoelectronic devices that we use in our everyday lives, powering the Internet, telecommunication, solid-state lighting, illuminators, and many other applications. This book features contributions from experts in industry and academia working in these areas and includes numerous practical examples and case studies.This book is suitable for new entrants to the field of optoelectronics working in R&D.
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
Table of Contents1. Introduction to optoelectronic devices
Robert W. Herrick and Qiang Guo
2. Reliability engineering in optoelectronic devices and fiber optic transceivers
Robert W. Herrick
3. Case studies in fiber optic reliability
Robert W. Herrick
4. Materials science of defects in GaAs-based semiconductor lasers
5. Grown-in defects and thermal instability affecting the reliability of lasers: III-Vs versus III nitrides
Osamu Ueda and Shigetaka Tomiya
6. Reliability of lasers on silicon substrates for silicon photonics
Justin C. Norman, Daehwan Jung, Alan Y. Liu, Jennifer Selvidge, Kunal Mukherjee, John E. Bowers and Robert W. Herrick
7. Degradation mechanisms of InGaN visible LEDs and AlGaN UV LEDs
C. De Santi, A. Caria, F. Piva, G. Meneghesso, E. Zanoni and M. Meneghini