Master the veterinary technician's role in caring for critically ill or injured pets! Small Animal Emergency and Critical Care for Veterinary Technicians, 4th Edition provides quick access to dozens of common, life-saving protocols and procedures. Each treatment technique is described in step-by-step detail and illustrated in full color. To prepare you for the veterinary setting, a team approach is emphasized. This edition adds three new chapters and includes practical, easy-to-apply medical math and scenario-based exercises. Written by experienced veterinary technicians Andrea Battaglia and Andrea Steele, this resource prepares you for success on the VTNE, in veterinary practices, and in animal hospital emergency departments.
1. Critical Thinking - Skill of Observation and Interpretation
2. Monitoring of the Critically Ill or Injured Patient
3. Patient's Lifeline: Intravenous Catheter
4. Fluid Therapy
5. Transfusion Medicine
6. Nutritional Support for the Critically Ill Patient
7. Oxygen Therapy Techniques
8. Mechanical Ventilation
9. Pain Assessment and Treatment
10. Supporting the Critically Ill or Injured through Physical Rehabilitation Techniques NEW!
11. Anesthesia in the Critically Ill or Injured
12. Isolation Techniques in Clinical Practice
SECTION II: Emergency Care for Small Animals
13. Emergency Receiving
14. Management of Patients in Shock
15. Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation: Current Practice
16. Traumatic Emergencies
17. Hematologic Emergencies
18. Cardiovascular Emergencies
19. Respiratory Emergencies
20. Gastrointestinal Emergencies
21. Metabolic and Endocrine Emergencies
22. Urologic Emergencies
23. Reproductive Emergencies
24. Ocular Emergencies
25. Neurologic Emergencies
26. Toxicologic Emergencies
27. Avian and Exotic Emergencies
28. Disaster Medicine
SECTION III: Practice Management
29. Fostering Wellbeing in the ER and ICU NEW!
30. The Art of Scheduling
31. Client Communication in an Emergency
32. Managing Pharmaceuticals in the ER NEW!
Steele, Andrea M.