Sudden outbreak of COVID-19 rendered a sharp decline in the country’s Polypropylene demand causing inventories to pile up at unprecedented levels because of sudden halt in downstream manufacturing activities due to nationwide lockdown. However, as a key raw material for manufacturing personal protective equipment (PPE), the demand outlook for some grades remained uplifted. Industrialists reported that the outbreak, has supported the demand for PP in the medical sector for the production of masks, injection syringes, and PPE kits which consume non-woven PP, fibre grade and transparent PP (TPP) grade. However, because unit consumption is too small, actual demand for PP has been subdued since the onset of the pandemic. Meanwhile, the demand from the sectors like infrastructure and daily necessities has dip sharply triggering a fall in other grades amid already existing uncertainties due to nationwide ban on single-use plastics implemented with effect from October 2019.
In addition, the demand for Polypropylene from the automotive sector remained lull in Q4FY20 due to plant shutdowns and lack of buying sentiments. However, restart of automobile plants with ease in lockdown restrictions has led to a gradual pick up in the PP volumes produced and procured. With major players like RIL, IOCL and OPAL ambitiously expanding their polyolefins sectors, the Indian PP industry is expected to witness tremendous growth heightened by new capacity additions which are scheduled for the next five years. One such project under construction is HPCL Rajasthan Refinery Ltd’s (HRRL’s) 181,000-bpd integrated refinery and petrochemical complex which is still under construction in the Barmer District, Rajasthan. The refinery will possess two 490 KTPA Polypropylene units each, thereby propelling the growth in the country’s PP market. Latest technological investments in the country’s Polypropylene sector such as adoption of LyondellBasell’s 5th generation Spheripol polypropylene process technology by HPCL-Mittal Energy Limited (HMEL) for its 500 KT per year plant in Bathinda, India, will further propel the growth of PP market in the subsequent years.
Years Considered for this Report:
- Historical Years: 2015 - 2019
- Base Year: 2020
- Estimated Year: 2021
- Forecast Period: 2022 - 2030
- The primary objective of the study was to evaluate and forecast polypropylene capacity, production, demand, inventory, and demand - supply gap in India.
- To categorize polypropylene demand based on end-use, grade, application, region and sales channel.
- To study trade dynamics and company share in the Indian polypropylene market.
- To identify major customers of polypropylene in India.
- To evaluate and forecast polypropylene pricing by grade in the Indian polypropylene market.
- To identify and profile major companies operating in the Indian polypropylene market.
- To identify major news, deals and expansion plans in the Indian polypropylene market.
Import of Propylene increased by almost 2.6 per cent in FY 2020 and PP yearly prices were assessed at USD XXX per MT on bulk contract basis. Polypropylene CFR prices in India fell by $20 per tonne and settled around $930-960 per tonne in India in Q4FY20 due to COVID-19 related uncertainties. However, with downstream sectors restarting their production activities, prices are likely to show an uptrend by the Q2FY21.
To extract data for the Indian polypropylene market, primary research surveys were conducted with Polypropylene manufacturers, suppliers, distributors, wholesalers and end-users. While interviewing, the respondents were also inquired about their competitors. Through this technique, the author was able to include manufacturers that could not be identified due to the limitations of secondary research. Moreover, the author analyzed various end-user segments and projected a positive outlook for The Indian polypropylene market over the coming years.
The author calculated the demand for polypropylene in India by analyzing the historical data and demand forecast which was carried out considering crude oil prices. Researchers sourced these values from the industry experts and company representatives and externally validated through analyzing historical sales data of respective manufacturers to arrive at the overall market size. Various secondary sources such as company websites, association reports, annual reports, etc., were also studied.
Key Target Audience:
- Polypropylene manufacturers and other stakeholders
- Organizations, forums and alliances related to polypropylene distribution
- Government bodies such as regulating authorities and policy makers
- Market research organizations and consulting companies
In this report, the Indian Polypropylene market has been segmented into following categories, in addition to the industry trends which have also been detailed below:
- Market, by Grade- Polypropylene Homopolymer, Polypropylene Copolymer
- Market, by Application- Flexible Packaging, Raffia, Fiber and Filament, Injection Molding, Others
- Market, by End-use- Packaging, Electronics and Electrical Appliances, Equipment Manufacturing, Automotive, Construction, Others
- Market, by Sales Channel- Direct/Institutional Sales, Retail Sales, Other Channel Sales
- Market, by Region- North, South, East, West
The author offers detailed analysis of major players including basic company details, Segmental/product information, financial matrices, growth strategies, expansion plans, collaborations, SWOT analysis etc.to give a comprehensive and meaningful insights on the respective product market.
With the given market data, the author offers customizations according to a client’s specific needs.
2. India Polypropylene Demand-Supply Gap Outlook, By Volume
2.1. Capacity, By Company
2.2. Capacity, By Location
2.3. Capacity, By Technology
2.4. Capacity, By Process
2.5. Production, By Company
2.6. Operating Efficiency, By Company
2.7. Country-Wise Import
2.8. Country-Wise Export
2.9. Demand-Supply Gap
3. India Polypropylene Demand Outlook
3.1. By Grade
3.2. By Application
3.3. By End Use
3.4. By Distribution Channel
3.5. By Region / State
3.6. By Company
4. Customer Analysis
4.1. Procurement Volume
4.2. Procurement Prices
4.3. Existing Supplier
4.4. Contact Details
5. Cost Structure
5.1. Raw Material Cost
5.2. Selling & Distribution Cost
5.3. Fixed Cost
5.4. Other Cost
6. Market Trends & Developments (Focus on emerging application and manufacturing technologies
7. Grade-Wise & Company-Wise Pricing Analysis (Monthly)
7.1. Historical Prices (Domestic, CFR)
8. Competitive Landscape (Top 10 Companies in terms of revenue share)
8.1. Company Profiles
8.1.1. Key Financial Matrices
8.1.2. Margin Analysis
8.1.3. SWOT Analysis
8.1.4. Key Market Focus and Geographical Presence
8.1.5. Planned Investments
8.1.7. Technology Licensing
8.1.8. Expansion Plan
9. Project Viability Analysis
10. Strategic Recommendations
11. About the Author & Disclaimer
List of Figures
Figure 1: Company-Wise Capacity of India Polypropylene Market, 2015-2030F (KT)
Figure 2: Location-Wise Capacity of India Polypropylene Market, 2015-2030F (KT)
Figure 3: Process/Technology-Wise Capacity of India Polypropylene Market, 2015-2030F (KT)
Figure 4: Company-Wise Production of India Polypropylene Market, 2015-2030F (KT)
Figure 5: Company-Wise Operating Efficiency of India Polypropylene Market, 2015-2030F (%)
Figure 6: India Polypropylene Trade Surplus/Deficit, By Volume (KT), 2015-2020
Figure 7: India Polypropylene Demand Market Share, By Grade, 2015-2030F (%)
Figure 8: India Polypropylene Demand Market Share, By End Use, 2015-2030F (%)
Figure 9: India Polypropylene Demand Market Share, By Application, 2015-2030F (%)
Figure 10: India Polypropylene Demand Market Share, By Distribution Channel, 2015-2030F (%)
Figure 11: India Polypropylene Demand Market Share, By Region, 2015-2030F (%)
Figure 12: India Polypropylene Demand Market Share, By Company, 2020 & 2021E (%)
Figure 13: India Polypropylene Recent News / Deals
List of Tables
Table 1: India Polypropylene Trade Dynamics, Country-Wise Import, 2015-2020
(Value in INR Million & Volume in KT)
Table 2: India Polypropylene Trade Dynamics, Country-Wise Export, 2015-2020
(Value in INR Million & Volume in KT)
Table 3: Customer Analysis of India Polypropylene Market, 2020
Table 4: Supplier Cost Structure Analysis of India Polypropylene Market, 2019 & 2020
- Reliance Industries Limited
- Indian Oil Corporation Limited
- HPCL-Mittal Energy Limited
- Haldia Petrochemicals Limited
- ONGC Petro Additions Limited
- Mangalore Refinery and Petrochemicals Limited
- Brahmaputra Cracker and Polymers Limited
- Exxon Mobil Corporation,
- LyondellBasell Industries