From 2018 to 2019, the Association of Southeast Asian Nations (ASEAN) automotive market decreased at a year-on-year (YoY) rate of 2.9%, with total sales reaching 3.5 million units. The main reasons for this decline were the global economic slowdown in automotive sales and the dip in sales faced by Indonesia, a leading contributor to the ASEAN market (and accounting for a 29.8% share in 2019), due to the presidential elections.
In Indonesia, passenger vehicle (PV) sales dropped significantly, recording a 10.2% decline from 874,680 units in 2018 to 785,540 units in 2019. Multi-purpose vehicles (MPVs) held the biggest share (71%) in the PV segment despite a slight decrease in 2019.
Commercial vehicle (CV) sales also plummeted in Indonesia, decreasing by 11.6% from 276,630 units in 2018 to 244,590 units in 2019. Pickups continued to dominate the CV segment, with their share increasing from 51.9% in 2018 to 55.4% in 2019.
In the electric vehicle (EV) market in Indonesia, consumers prefer the Mitsubishi Outlander plug-in hybrid electric vehicle (PHEV) model launched in 2019. The Outlander PHEV accounted for 83.3% of total EV sales in 2019. Another notable EV manufacturer that offers PHEVs in BMW.
Shared mobility service providers are focusing on major cities such as Jakarta, Bali, and Bandung. The total eHailing passenger vehicle fleet comprised 355,550 units in 2019. Private hire vehicles accounted for 84.4% of these. Blue Bird, the leading public taxi provider, works closely with Grab and uses electric vehicles such as BYD e6 and Hyundai Ioniq Electric in its fleet.
Grab and Gojek competes not only in the eHailing passenger vehicle segment but also in the eHailing motorcycle segment. These 2 giants together provided 1,500,000 units of 2-wheeler motorcycles for eHailing in 2019. Moreover, the government implemented a price control policy in the motorcycle eHailing segment, which had a negative impact on both riders and consumers.
Grab also participates in the eScooter sharing market, where it competes with GOWES. In 2019, Grab offered 1,070 units of eScooters. However, the government has set restrictions on the usage of eHailing services in the Jakarta area, which has forced eScooter providers to shift to the city outskirts. Three companies, GOWES, Banopolis, and Spekun, are present in the Indonesian bicycle-sharing market. These companies together provided 940 bicycles in 2019.
Connected solutions are broadly used in the premium and mid-premium vehicle segments. Automotive original equipment manufacturers (OEMs) offer connected solutions such as communication and navigation leveraging smartphone connectivity.
1. Executive Summary
- Key Findings
- Automotive Market Outlook in Indonesia
- Key Automotive Market Highlights in 2019
- Top Predictions for 2020
- Growth Outlook 2020
2. Research Scope, Objectives, and Methodology
- Research Scope
- Research Aims and Objective
- Key Questions this Study will Answer
- Research Methodology
- Segmentation Definitions
4. 2020 Global Economic Outlook
- Covid-19 Global Economic Impact - Visioning Scenarios
- Global, Advanced, and Emerging Market Growth
- Global Economic Outlook 2020 - Top 5 Predictions
5. Automotive Market Overview
- ASEAN Automotive Market Snapshot
- Indonesia’s Automotive Market Snapshot
- Automotive Market Breakdown by Vehicle Segment
- Leading OEMs and Vehicle Models in Indonesia
- Emission Standard and Fuel Specification
- Key Predictions Indonesia’s Automotive Market
6. Electric Vehicle Market
- Key Government Regulations
- EV Market Snapshot
- EV Product Launch Roadmap
- EV Charging Infrastructure Snapshot
- Leading Charging Operators
- Key Predictions for 2020 - Indonesia’s Electric Vehicle Market
7. Shared Mobility Market
- Key Government Regulations
- eHailing Market Snapshot
- Leading eHailing Operators
- Motorcycle eHailing Market Snapshot
- Leading Motorcycle eHailing Operators
- eScooter Sharing Market Snapshot
- Leading eScooter Sharing Operators
- Bicycle Sharing Market Snapshot
- Leading Bicycle Sharing Operators
- Key Predictions for 2020 - Indonesia’s Shared Mobility Market
8. Connected Cars and Connected Trucks
- Connected Passenger Vehicle Solutions Snapshot in Indonesia
- Connected Car Case Study - Mazda CX-5
- Connected Commercial Vehicle Solution Snapshot in Indonesia
- Key Predictions 2020 - Indonesia’s Connected Mobility Market
9. Growth Opportunities and Companies to Action
- Growth OpportunityAutomotive Market in Indonesia
- Strategic Imperatives for Success and Growth
- Key Trends and Recommendations
- The Last Word - 3 Big Predictions
- Legal Disclaimer
- Acronyms Used
- Market Engineering Methodology
- List of Exhibits