The Europe sourdough market is projected to witness a CAGR of 3.87% during the forecast period (2020 - 2025).
- Despite growing at a relatively sluggish pace, baked goods still continues to offer growth opportunities for manufacturers and retailers in Europe, which is driving the sales of the Europe sourdough market.
- Moreover, with the strong performances of bread and pastries in the European region, this factor demonstrate that shoppers are seeking variety to meet their need for different meals and snacks throughout the day, therefore the Europeans customers are increasingly moving towards the new and healthier bakery preparations thus, increasing their preference for the sourdough bread.
- Sourdough bread is the one of the largest market segment in Europe, as compared to the rest of world and it is expected to further boost its sales due to its growing popularity in the foodservice sector and its increasing sales in the retail sector too in the form of bread, pizza base and others.
Key Market Trends
Preference for Healthy Food and Beverage Driving the Sourdough Demand in Europe
The sourdough has properties of both prebiotics and probiotics. The presence of prebiotics in sourdough makes make it easier to digest than many other breads and the presence of probiotic cultures have shown to increase vitamin and mineral absorption.
Though, probiotics themselves don’t survive the baking process in sourdough, but the lactic acid bacteria produced during fermentation remains and provides the benefits. The presence of lactic acid bacteria in sourdough has shown to also contain antioxidant benefits, thus safeguarding the body against illness.
Therefore, these factors can thereby increase its consumption in Europe, as the consumers have started to increase the consumption of those products, which are beneficial towards their overall health. Moreover, one slice of sourdough has more protein than an egg, thus, making it an a perfect protein intake rather than the egg thus, supporting the increasing trend of vegan diet in the European region.
Increasing Application and Use of Sourdough Bread in United Kingdom
Over the past few years, the sale and the application of the sourdough bread in Europe has increased, with Britain being one of the largest user of the same. This can be validated with the fact that Tesco had sold 100,000 of the sourdough loaves a week in 2018, which suggests that this artisan bread has become mainstream in United Kingdom. Also, for an instance, in the last five years, Tesco had almost quadrupled its sourdough range to bring customers new varieties and meet demand in United Kingdom.
Also with the age-old breakfast and the brunch eating culture among the consumers in the country, this factor is enhancing the market for sourdough the country, as it is considered the best bread to be eaten for brunches. It is flavorsome, has a nicer texture and retains its structure perfectly when served with classic brunch foods like poached eggs, mashed avocado or roast tomatoes. Moreover, Tesco had also launched its first ever sourdough baguette in order to offer customers more choice at lunchtime.
The Europe sourdough market is a competitive market, which consist of the following players such as Bread Bread Bakery LTD., Riverside Sourdough, Real Bread and Food Company. Majority of these companies performing in the market, are a small scale companies, which are producing these products for the sales in local reatil stores, or to be applied by the cafes and resturants owners in the food making process in Europe. Product innovation and differentiation were some of the most employed strategies by key players to gain a competitive edge in the industry.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Study Assumptions
1.3 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.1 Bread and Buns
5.1.2 Pizza Base
5.2 By End User
5.2.1 Industrial Bakeries
5.3 By Country
5.3.2 United Kingdom
5.3.7 Rest of Europe
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Market Positoning of the Players
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 BREAD BREAD BAKERY LTD.
6.4.2 Riverside Sourdough
6.4.3 Real Bread and Food Company
6.4.4 The Bread Factory Limited
6.4.5 Portland French Bakery
6.4.6 Ernst Bocker GmbH & Co. KG
6.4.7 IREKS GmbH
6.4.8 Puratos Group
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- BREAD BREAD BAKERY LTD.
- Riverside Sourdough
- Real Bread and Food Company
- The Bread Factory Limited
- Portland French Bakery
- Ernst Bocker GmbH & Co. KG
- IREKS GmbH
- Puratos Group