The air quality monitoring market was valued at USD 4.2 billion in 2020, and it is anticipated to reach USD 6.5 billion by 2027, registering a CAGR of around 5.01 % during 2022-2027. The market had definitely faced the consequences of the COVID-19 pandemic, as the lockdowns resulted in less air pollution, particularly in the transport and industrial sector. As an example, the Central Pollution Control Board (CPCB), India, published a report on "the Impact of JANTA CURFEW and lockdown on air quality, which revealed the facts that the lockdown resulted in significant improvement in the air quality of the country. Thus, the demand for air quality measurement equipment got reduced in various sectors. The market is likely to get accelerated in the near future due to growing concern about air quality, and the expansion of industrialization in many countries. However, the penetration of cleaner sources of energy like renewables and nuclear energy is expected to hinder the market growth due to the steadily decreasing requirement of the product.
- The outdoor air quality equipments are expected to grow at a faster rate during the forecast period due to government policies on air quality standards in open spaces.
- The technological advancements in air quality monitoring systems create enormous opportunities for the techno-development of the devices and their applications. For instance, the recent IoT-based equipments, which are more interactive in their functioning and use new technologies for communicating and delivering data, are in vogue these days. They are termed as the Next Generation Air Quality Monitoring Systems, which are becoming the subject of research for many R&D professionals in the area.
- The Asia-Pacific region is expected to have significant growth in the coming years due to the growing rate of urbanization or the industrial activities in the developing countries.
Key Market Trends
Outdoor Monitor Segment Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The outdoor air quality monitoring systems are installed to track the air pollution caused by the transport sector, industrial sector, construction activities, and all other external sources of pollution. The air outside the confined spaces is believed to have more harmful pollutants as compared to the indoor air due to the presence of the aforesaid mentioned points of sources.
- The U.S government has successfully reduced the average PM2.5 concentration levels in the nation by 41% in the last decade, to 8.02 micrograms per cubic meter. The targets were achieved by regulatory policies for air quality standards in various sectors, which ultimately led to the high deployment of air quality monitoring systems even at grassroot levels.
- In 2021, the European Parliament did the implementation assessment of its "EU policy on Air Quality." The policy's broad objectives were the monitoring and assessment of air quality and setting up of air quality standards. The Member States of the European Union were commanded to establish a network of air quality measuring stations in various zones or agglomerations. The assessment checked the violation of directives by the cities/towns and thereby assured compliance.
- In November 2021, the Haryana State Pollution Control Board(HSPCB), India, issued a directive to deploy around 100 air quality monitoring systems across Gurugram. These systems will monitor air and noise pollution levels along with weather parameters such as rainfall, wind velocity, etc. The data was supposed to be delivered to the Integrated Command and Control Centre (ICCC) of GMDA(Gurugram Metropolitan Development Authority).
- Such kind of developments is expected to give a thrust to the market during the forecast period.
Asia-Pacific Expected to Dominate the Market
- Air pollution is at alarming levels in Asian countries, which is highly detrimental to the health of the inhabitants. The incumbent situation is particularly due to growing industrialization in developing countries, which has led to the increase in chemical pollutants in the nations, some of which are fatal too.
- South Asia is believed to be the epicenter of ambient air pollution. According to the World Air Quality Report 2020, out of the top 40 most polluted cities in the world, 37 are in South Asia. Apart from that, high levels of air pollution are recorded in China, Japan, and India. The countries in the region are leaving no stone unturned to cope up with the prevailing state. Many industries and many local colonies or areas in the region have been installed with air quality monitoring systems in recent years.
- In February 2021, the Madhya Pradesh Pollution Control Board(MPPCB) launched a tender to erect air quality monitoring stations in a number of cities in the state. The qualified bidders have to supply, install, commission air quality monitoring systems at 9 Ambient Air Quality Monitoring Stations and also the systems for data online transmission to CPCB and MPPCB servers.
- In November 2021, the Vietnam government announced a new plan for the air quality management of the country. The National Plan for Air Quality Management (2021-2025) includes emission controls from sources like industries, transport, agriculture, and construction activities, through the installation of continuous automatic emissions monitoring equipment.
- Owing to such developments, it can be predicted that the market in the region is likely to move at the fastest pace during the forecast period.
The air quality monitoring market is fragmanted. Some of the major players include Siemens AG, Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc., Horiba Ltd, Emerson Electric Co., and Hawa Dawa GmBH.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.2 Market Definition
1.3 Study Assumptions
4.2 Market Size and Demand Forecast in USD billion, till 2027
4.3 Recent Trends and Developments
4.4 Government Policies and Regulations
4.5 Market Dynamics
4.6 Supply Chain Analysis
4.7 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.7.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.7.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.7.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.7.4 Threat of Substitutes Products and Services
4.7.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.1 Indoor Monitor
5.1.2 Outdoor Monitor
5.2 Sampling Method
5.3 End User
5.3.1 Residential and Commercial
5.3.2 Power Generation
5.4.1 North America
5.4.4 South America
5.4.5 Middle-East and Africa
6.2 Strategies Adopted by Leading Players
6.3 Company Profiles
6.3.1 Siemens AG
6.3.2 Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
6.3.3 Horiba Ltd
6.3.4 Emerson Electric Co.
6.3.5 Hawa Dawa GmBH
6.3.6 Honeywell International Inc.
6.3.7 Teledyne Technologies Inc.
6.3.8 TSI Inc.
6.3.9 Merck KGaA
6.3.10 Agilent Technologies Inc.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Siemens AG
- Thermo Fisher Scientific Inc.
- Horiba Ltd
- Emerson Electric Co.
- Hawa Dawa GmBH
- Honeywell International Inc.
- Teledyne Technologies Inc.
- TSI Inc.
- Merck KGaA
- Agilent Technologies Inc.