Online shopping garners a larger share of total retail sales in Brazil
The leading economy of Latin America, Brazil has seen consistent growth in B2C E-Commerce over that past few years. The onset of the coronavirus pandemic in March of this year propelled online retail sales in the following months to a much higher growth rate, though concerns for the economy prompt forecasts cited in the report of growth for the entire year in line with that of recent years. However, the increase in online orders when matched with the decrease of in-store sales will result in E-Commerce constituting an ever-increasing share of total retail sales in Brazil into the future.
The coronavirus crisis prompts visits to the most popular E-Commerce websites
Though Brazil did not issue nationwide lockdown orders as did many other countries at the beginning of the pandemic, concerned citizens initiated their own confinement and ventured less into stores and shopping centers, turning to online shopping. Leading shopping website MercadoLivre saw a surge in visits, while its competitors in second and third rank nationally, Americanas.com.br and Amazon.com.br, experienced even higher rates of increase in website visits. The publication reports that the products seeing increases in purchases during the pandemic include supermarket items, games and toys, and sporting goods, while online event ticket sales and travel bookings are down.
Payment and delivery of goods ordered online are impacted by the health crisis
Consumer concern over timely and economical delivery of goods ordered online has been a deterrent to digital shopping in Brazil, but during the pandemic, consumers have nonetheless increased online shopping, even as delivery times have increased. In paying for their goods ordered online, the report indicates that credit/debit cards and local bank transfer system Boleto Bancario continue to be the most used method of payment, with a pronounced growth in the use of contactless cards and digital wallets during the pandemic.
- The report covers the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on B2C E-Commerce and payments in Brazil.
- The report starts with an overview, highlighting the overall impact of COVID-19 on B2C E-Commerce development in the respective country.
- Next, the “Sales & Shares” section covers the development of B2C E-Commerce prior to the outbreak and contains a forecast for E-Commerce’s share of total retail sales post-COVID-19.
- Afterward, the section “Products & Verticals” shows the leading product categories purchased online during the pandemic and COVID-19’s impact on selected products and services.
- The “Trends” section highlights the implications of the outbreak for the development of online shopping trends, such as cross-border E-Commerce.
- The next section, “Payment”, covers the payment methods most used by online shoppers, and the impact of the pandemic on online and contactless payments.
- The “Delivery” section provides insights on E-Commerce delivery and its perception by online shoppers before and after the COVID-19 outbreak.
- Finally, the “Players” section includes information about the impact of the Coronavirus on the leading B2C E-Commerce companies in terms of website traffic.
For this report, the purchase of an Enterprise license allows up to ten worldwide users of an organization access to the report
1. Management Summary
- Overview of COVID-19 Impact on B2C E-Commerce Market, June 2020
3. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Sales & Shares
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in BRL billion, in % YoY Change, 2011-2019
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in BRL billion, 2019 & 2020f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in % of Total Retail Sales, 2019 & 2030f
4. Impact on Online Shoppers
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2019
- Online Shoppers, By Domestic And Global E-Commerce Websites, in millions, 2019
- Estimated Number of New Online Shoppers and New Online Stores Emerging Since The COVID-19 Outbreak in March, May 2020
- Change in Online and In-Store Shopping Following COVID-19, in % of Consumers, by Generation, June 2020
5. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Product Segments & Online Verticals
- Top Product Categories By Growth In Number Of E-Commerce Orders, in %, Incl. Share Of Total E-Commerce, H1 2019
- Average E-Commerce Order Value By Selected Fast Growing Product Categories, in BRL, H1 2019
- Year-on-Year Change in E-Commerce Sales of Selected Health & Hygiene Product Categories, in %, February & March 2020
- Year-on-Year Change in Number and Value of E-Commerce Purchases, by Selected Categories, in %, February/March 2020
- Bi-Weekly Changes in Average Daily E-Commerce Order Number of Selected Product Categories, in %, March 15 - June 6
- Bi-Weekly Changes in Average Daily E-Commerce Order Number of Selected Service Categories, in %, March 15 - June 6
6. Impact on Cross-Border & Omnichannel Shopping
- E-Commerce Sales, in BRL bil., Total Orders, in mil., Average Consumer Spending Per Year, in BRL, Average Value Per Order, in BRL, Online Shoppers, in mil., By Domestic And International Websites, 2019
- Breakdown Of Expectations About Online Shopping Frequency On International Websites During COVID-19, in % of Those Buying At Least Once Every 3 Months From Such Sites, April/May 2020
- Most Popular Cross-Border E-Commerce Sites Among Online Shoppers, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, February-March 2020
- M-Commerce Sales, in BRL billion, Orders, in millions, in % of Total E-Commerce, 2019
7. Impact on Online Payment
- Payment Methods Used in E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, July 2019
- Selected Mobile Payment Apps Used, incl. Penetration, in % of Devices, and Active Users, in % of All Users, July 2019
- Average Attempted Fraud Share, in % of E-Commerce Sales, 2019
- Top 3 Product Categories by Attempted Fraud Share, in % of E-Commerce Sales, 2019
- Proximity Mobile Payment User Penetration, in % of Smartphone Owners, August 2019
- Proximity Mobile Payment User Penetration, in % of Smartphone Owners, by Age Group, August 2019
- Year-on-Year Change in Value of Card-Present and Card-Not-Present Payments, March 2020
- Value of Contactless Payments, in BRL million, March 2019 & March 2020
8. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Delivery
- Top 5 Barriers To E-Commerce, in % of Respondents, incl. Delivery-Related, September 2019
- Share Of E-Commerce Deliveries That Arrived On Time, By Regions, in %, 2018 & 2019
- Breakdown Of Delivery Time Experience With Cross-Border E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, February 2020
- Causes of Negative E-Commerce Experience During COVID-19, in % of Online Shoppers Who Had Negative Shopping Experienced During COVID-19, June 2020
- Factors That Would Motivate Consumers in Brazil To Buy Online After The Pandemic, in %, June 2020
9. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Players
- Top 5 E-Commerce Websites, by Total Visits, March 2020 & May 2020