The coronavirus pandemic in Mexico has slowed general retail spending, boosted online shopping
The initial spread of COVID-19 in Mexico in March pushed government officials to close restaurants and cancel public gatherings, with the attendant effect of confining residents to their homes. The result has been a surge in online shopping while in-store spending has stalled, speeding up the trend to digital commerce seen in recent years. However, the report cites surveys suggesting that online spending may slow in the second half of 2020.
Supermarket items and entertainment see online demand increase in Mexico during health crisis
Services and products both experienced increased online purchases in Mexico during the March – May coronavirus pandemic. Game purchases and entertainment streaming plus food delivery, banking and bill payment are among the services seeing huge increases in electronic transactions as detailed in the report. Physical products such as food, cleaning items and clothing also were increasingly in demand through online merchants.
Website visits to online merchants rise because of the pandemic
The increase in online shopping has lifted the sales volume of many E-Commerce merchants. One Mexican store more than doubled visits to its websites, as detailed in the report. However, Argentina-based Mercado Libre and USA’s Amazon remain in the first and second rank of online merchants in Mexico by website visit count. The report also reveals that debit and credit card was the most used payment method for online goods and services, both before and during the pandemic.
- The report covers the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on B2C E-Commerce and payments in Mexico.
- The report starts with an overview, highlighting the overall impact of COVID-19 on B2C E-Commerce development in the respective country.
- Next, the “Sales & Shares” section covers the development of B2C E-Commerce prior to the outbreak and contains a forecast for E-Commerce’s share of total retail sales post-COVID-19.
- Afterwards, the section “Products & Verticals” shows the leading product categories purchased online during the pandemic and COVID-19’s impact on selected products and services.
- The “Trends” section highlights the implications of the outbreak for the development of online shopping trends, such as cross-border E-Commerce.
- The next section, “Payment”, covers the payment methods most used by online shoppers before and during the COVID-19 outbreak.
- The “Delivery” section provides insights on E-Commerce delivery and its perception by online shoppers amid the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Finally, the “Players” section includes information about the impact of the Coronavirus on the leading B2C E-Commerce companies in terms of website traffic.
Please note: For this report, the purchase of an Enterprise license allows up to ten worldwide users of an organization access to the report
1. Management Summary
- Overview of COVID-19 Impact on B2C E-Commerce Market, June 2020
3. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Sales & Shares
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in MXN billion, 2018 & 2019
- Retail E-Commerce Sales Growth Forecast, in %, by Pre-COVID-19 Forecast and COVID-19 Forecast, 2020f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in % of Total Retail Sales, 2019 & 2030f
- B2C E-Commerce Sales During Hot Sale Online Shopping Holiday, in USD million, 2014-2020
4. Impact on Online Shoppers
- Internet Users Who Transact Online, in millions, and Penetration, in % of Internet Users, 2015 - 2019
- Breakdown of Internet Users Who Transact Online, by Those Who Shop Only, Pay Only, and Who Both Shop and Pay Online, in millions, and in %, 2015 – 2019
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2019
- Online Shopper Penetration, in % of Individuals, 2018 - 2022f
- Number of Online Shoppers, in millions, and Year-on-Year Change, in %, 2018 - 2022f
5. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Product Segments & Online Verticals
- Products Purchased Online In The Last 7 Days And Purchased Online For First Time, in % of Online Shoppers, April 2020
- Services Purchased or Used Online In The Last 7 Days And Purchased or Used Online For First Time, in % of Online Shoppers, April 2020
- Change in Visits To Fashion E-Commerce And Supermarket Websites, in %, Weeks 9-16 of 2020 Compared to Week 8 of 2020
- Change in Visits To Travel Websites, in %, Weeks 9-16 of 2020 Compared to Week 8 of 2020
- Breakdown of E-Commerce Transactions by Selected Segments, in %, 2019 & 2020f
- Share of Adults Who Shopped on a New Website Since COVID-19, by Groceries and Non-Groceries, in %, May 2020
6. Impact on Cross-Border & Omnichannel Shopping
- Breakdown of Frequency of Making Purchases on International Websites Before COVID-19, and Breakdown of Estimated Change in Frequency of Making Purchases on International Websites Due To COVID-19, in % of Cross-Border Online Shoppers, May 2020
- Share of Cross-Border Online Shoppers Who Agree That They Buy More Online Due To COVID-19 Outbreak, by Buying on Domestic and International Websites, in %, May 2020
7. Impact on Online Payment
- Payment Methods Used in E-Commerce, in % of Online Shoppers, July 2019
- Payment Methods Used During The Hot Sale Online Shopping Holiday, in % of Online Shoppers, June 2020
- Number of Authorized Payment Transactions on E-Commerce Websites, in millions, Value, in MXN billion, and Authorization Rate, in % of Transactions and in % of Transaction Value, by Credit Cards and Debit Cards, Q1 2018 – Q4 2019
- Chargeback Rate, in % of Number of Authorized Payment Transactions on E-Commerce Websites and in % of Their Value, by Credit Cards and Debit Cards, Q1 2018 – Q3 2019
- Preferred Two-Factor Payment Authentication Options During Online Shopping, in % of Online Shoppers, July 2019
- Proximity Mobile Payment User Penetration, in % of Smartphone Users, 2019
- Selected Mobile Payment Apps Used, incl. Penetration, in % of Devices, and Active Users, in % of All Users, July 2019
8. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Delivery
- Perceived Changes in Delivery Times and Costs During COVID-19, in % of Online Shoppers, April 2020
- Delivery Methods Used During The Hot Sale Online Shopping Holiday, in % of Online Shoppers, June 2020
9. Impact on B2C E-Commerce Players
- Top 9 B2C E-Commerce Websites Purchased From, in % of Online Shoppers, May 2019
- Top 5 E-Commerce Websites, by Total Visits, March 2020 & May 2020