Move to B2C E-Commerce accelerated by COVID pandemic
The United Arab Emirates was one of the most advanced markets for online sales in the Middle East and North Africa region, leading its neighbors in the share of total retail sales attributed to E-Commerce. The confinement of UAE residents because of the coronavirus crisis has driven a sharp increase in online shopping, as shoppers turn to electronic means to purchase essential items such as food and clothing as well as comfort and entertainment products. The report tells of the impressive growth of online business permits in the Emirates, an indication of the confidence in the continued growth of online sales.
The pandemic brings changes in payment methods, cash averted
Prior to the pandemic, the most popular payment method for online orders was cash on delivery. The concern about cash as a possible vector of the coronavirus has promoted increased use of cards and digital payment methods. A recent survey cited in the publication also reflects that over half of users of digital payments prefer contactless methods when paying in a store. The study suggests that the pandemic-originated changes in payments will continue after the COVID-19 crisis passes.
The report covers the impact of the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic on B2C E-Commerce and payments in the UAE.
- The report starts with an overview, highlighting the overall impact of COVID-19 and the B2C E-Commerce development in the respective country.
- Next, the “Sales & Shares” section covers the development of B2C E-Commerce prior to the outbreak and contains a forecast for the next two years.
- Afterwards, the section “Products & Verticals” shows the leading product categories purchased online and COVID-19’s impact on selected products and services.
- The “Trends” section highlights important online shopping trends, such as cross-border E-Commerce and M-Commerce.
- The next section, “Payment”, covers the payment methods used by online shoppers and the effect of the COVID-19 outbreak on contactless payments.
- The “Delivery” section provides insights on E-Commerce delivery methods.
- Finally, the “Players” section includes information about the leading B2C E-Commerce companies in terms of website traffic.
Please note: For this report, the purchase of an Enterprise license allows up to ten worldwide users of an organization access to the report
1. Management Summary
- B2C E-Commerce Market Overview and International Comparisons, July 2020
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, by Selected Countries, incl. UAE, 2019
- Cross-Border E-Commerce’s Share of Total E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, and in %, October 2019
- Growth in Orders Placed on International Websites in January, March & April 2020, in % of The Number of Orders in October 2020
- Share of Consumers Who Plan to Make Purchases Via a Mobile Phone App, in %, November 2019
- Share of Consumers Who Plan to Do Their Holiday Shopping on Apps, in %, Compared to The Global Average, November 2019
- Share of Consumers in Abu Dhabi and Dubai Who Prefer to Buy Products Using A Smartphone/Tablet, in %, Compared to Global, September 2019
- Share of Consumers in Abu Dhabi and Dubai Who Placed an Order Using an App and Collected In-Store, in %, Compared to The Global Average, September 2019
- Share of Consumers in Abu Dhabi and Dubai Who Accessed Loyalty/Rewards Coupons Via Smartphone, in %, September 2019
- Top 10 Mobile Shopping Apps in the Apple App Store and Google Play Store, by Rank, July 2020
4. Sales & Shares
- B2C E-Commerce Sales, in USD billion, 2015 & 2019e
- B2C E-Commerce Share of Total Retail Sales, in %, 2019e
- Annual B2C E-Commerce Sales Estimate By Pre-Lockdown, During Lockdown and By the End of 2020, in USD billion, June 2020
5. Users & Shoppers
- Share of Consumers Changing Their Shopping Habits During COVID-19 Outbreak, in %, April 2020
- Share of Adults Who Started Using Digital Shopping Methods During COVID-19, in %, June 2020
- Breakdown of Attitudes Regarding The Use of Online Shopping During COVID-19 Outbreak, in % of Internet Users, March 2020
- Preferred Shopping Channels During Lockdown Due to COVID-19 Outbreak, in % of Consumers, April 2020
6. Products & Verticals
- Share of Online Shoppers Purchasing Selected Product Categories Online, by Before COVID-19 and After COVID-19, in %, June 2020
- Product Categories Purchased Online During COVID-19, in % of Online Shoppers, April 2020
- Share of Online Shoppers Buying Fashion Products Online During Ramadan, in %, by Gender and Age, 2019
- Share of Consumers Planning to Buy Selected Product Categories Online During Ramadan Post-COVID-19 Compared With Pre-COVID-19 Outbreak, in %, April 2020
- Share of Consumers Who Buy Most of Their Groceries Online, in %, September 2019
- Share of Internet Users Who Have Food or Groceries Delivered to Their Homes More Frequently Due to COVID-19 Outbreak, in %, March 2020
- Online Food Retailers’ Platforms Used Post-COVID-19 Compared to Pre-COVID-19 Outbreak, in % of Online Grocery Shoppers, April 2020
- Selected Digital Activities Conducted More Often Or Tried For the First Time Since the COVID-19 Outbreak, in % of Adults, June 2020
- Payment Methods Accepted by the Top 2 E-Commerce Websites, July 2020
- Share of Consumers Who Made Purchases In-Store Using Mobile Payment, in %, September 2019
- Share of Consumer Paying By Cash or Using Digital Payment Methods When Shopping at Stores During COVID-19 Outbreak, in %, June 2020
- Breakdown of Consumer Using Digital Payments More Than Paying in Cash When Shopping in Store During COVID-19 Outbreak, in %, June 2020
- Attitudes to Contactless Payments During COVID-19 Outbreak, in %, April 2020
- Delivery Methods, Time and Charges for the Top 2 E-Commerce Websites, July 2020
- B2C E-Commerce Players Overview, July 2020
- Top Online Shopping Websites, incl. Total Number of Visits, in millions, UAE’s Share of Total Visits, in %, Average Visit Duration, Pages Per Visit and Bounce Rate, June 2020
- Number of Licenses Issued to Different Sectors, incl. E-Commerce, May 2020