Design and Performance Optimization of Renewable Energy Systems provides an integrated discussion of issues relating to renewable energy performance design and optimization using advanced thermodynamic analysis with modern methods to configure major renewable energy plant configurations (solar, geothermal, wind, hydro, PV). Vectors of performance enhancement reviewed include thermodynamics, heat transfer, exergoeconomics and neural network techniques. Source technologies studied range across geothermal power plants, hydroelectric power, solar power towers, linear concentrating PV, parabolic trough solar collectors, grid-tied hybrid solar PV/Fuel cell for freshwater production, and wind energy systems. Finally, nanofluids in renewable energy systems are reviewed and discussed from the heat transfer enhancement perspective.
- Reviews the fundamentals of thermodynamics and heat transfer concepts to help engineers overcome design challenges for performance maximization
- Explores advanced design and operating principles for solar, geothermal and wind energy systems with diagrams and examples
- Combines detailed mathematical modeling with relevant computational analyses, focusing on novel techniques such as artificial neural network analyses
- Demonstrates how to maximize overall system performance by achieving synergies in equipment and component efficiency
Please Note: This is an On Demand product, delivery may take up to 11 working days after payment has been received.
1. Introduction 2. Heat exchangers and nanofluids 3. Exergy analysis 4. Optimization techniques for solar energy applications 5. Solar power tower systems 6. Parabolic trough solar collectors 7. Solar water heaters 8. Performance of PV systems 9. Linear concentrating photovoltaic system 10. Hybrid solar PV/fuel cell power system 11. Geothermal power plants 12. ORC as waste heat recovery system 13. Wind turbines 14. Hydropower 15. Heat pumps 16. Energy storage 17. Neural network analysis in renewable energy systems
Mamdouh El Haj Assad is Associate Professor in Renewable and Sustainable Energy Engineering Department at the University of Sharjah since 2016. Assad previously worked at Aalto University in the Department of Energy Technology as a research scientist and docent. He has also worked as Associate Professor and Head of Mechanical Engineering Department at Australian College of Kuwait during 2014-2015. His research fields and expertise are solar, geothermal and wind energy systems, absorption chillers, heat exchangers and environmental pollution. Assad has wide experience in energy systems optimization and environmental pollution. He has worked on EU project related to osmosis power for 3 years. Dr. Assad has more than 110 publications in referred journals, conferences and book chapters. He is an editorial board member of more than 6 journals. Dr. Assad was awarded the best teacher award of the year 2011 at Aalto University, Finland.
Rosen, Marc A.
Marc A. Rosen is the Editor-in-Chief of the International Journal of Energy and Environmental Engineering and the founding Editor-in-Chief of Sustainability. He has written numerous books and journal articles. Professor Rosen received the President's Award from the Canadian Society for Mechanical Engineering in 2012. Currently, he is a Professor at the University of Ontario Institute of Technology, where he served as founding Dean of the Faculty of Engineering and Applied Science