- MENA E-tail is a $10 Bn sector led by UAE and KSA, and is expected to touch $35 Bn by 2023.
- Online food delivery is also gaining popularity fast and this is being driven by changing customer behaviour and the rise of internet kitchens.
- Covid-19 has had a profound impact on business in MENA. Retail is under a lot of stress as lockdowns imposed to combat Covid-19 prevents businesses from functioning normally.
E-tailing, as a whole, has grown by 40% over the lockdown but not all product categories have fared well. eGrocery, Home and BPC have been the standout performers across all product categories whereas fashion and electronics have seen sales being hit the hardest.
Online food-delivery is also under a lot of pressure as the number of daily orders have taken a massive plunge during the lockdown. Daily orders in UAE and KSA have fallen by 20% and 40%, respectively over the lockdown.
While e-tailing has seen a spike during the lockdown period, there are a few key questions for the post-Covid world that are yet to be answered.
- What would be the customer stickiness to the online channel?
- How would the e-tail sector shape up in the region?
- How can brands prepare?
Covid-19 has also had a profound impact on consumer attitudes and behaviour. It has expedited the shift towards online: it has increased consumer stickiness and driven a lot of first-time users to online shopping.
The key questions answered in this report include:
- What is the expected trajectory for e-tail post COVID-19?
- What are the key trends that will shape 2020?
- What are the different playbooks brands can use?
This report is delivered within 5-7 business days.
1.1 How has online retail and food-tech evolved pre Covid?
1.2 Impact of Covid-19 on businesses?
1.3 How have brands responded to Covid-19?
2. Voice of the Consumer
2.1 How has customer behavior changed due to Covid-19?
2.2 Which of these new behaviors will stick?
2.3 What attributes are critical to customers?
2.4 How will Ramadan shopping be affected by Covid-19?
3. Key Takeaways
3.1 What is the expected trajectory for e-tail post Covid-19?
3.2 What are the key trends that will shape 2020?
3.3 What are the different playbooks brands can use?
1. Primary Research Consumers, stakeholders and industry experts are interviewed to help us validate key trends and market estimations.
While the exact figures may vary for different reports, on average, the publisher conducts:
- ~1,000+ consumer surveys
- ~30+ IDIs (in-depth interviews) with stakeholders (consumers, suppliers, distributors and delivery executives, among others)
- ~25+ detailed discussions with industry experts Depending on the report in question, consumers and stakeholders are distributed across:
- City tiers (Metros, Tier 1, Tier 2, Tier 3 & Tier 4 cities)
- Income levels
- Age groups
- Internet usage pattern
2. Secondary Research Secondary includes analysis of databases available in public domain. Information sought is cross-referenced and aligned for soundness.
Note: In order to maintain confidentiality, results and analysis of the surveys and expert interviews are presented at level of overall scenario analysis and representation only.