Polymer-Based Separators for Lithium-Ion Batteries: Production, Processing, and Properties takes a detailed, systematic approach to the development of polymer separators for lithium-ion batteries. Sections cover the polymeric materials that may be used for separators and characterization techniques, along with the available technologies that are used to produce separators. Each technology is discussed in terms of the advantages and disadvantages of the chosen approach, with the properties of separators made by each technology also summarized and compared in detail. In addition, areas for further development are addressed, with the limitations of current materials and separators to achieve specific goals highlighted.
This is a valuable resource for scientists, R&D professionals and engineers in industry who are working on polymer-based battery separators, polymers for electronic/energy applications, and new materials and processes for lithium-ion batteries. In academia, this book will be of interest to researchers and advanced students across polymer science, materials science, electronics, energy and chemical engineering.
- Covers current and emerging technologies used in the production of polymer battery separators for lithium-ion batteries
- Analyzes the connections between different materials and processes, advantages and disadvantages, and resulting properties
- Enables the reader to develop polymer separators that meet requirements in terms of properties, performance and industry standards
2. Background and Design of Battery Separators
3. Characterization Techniques for Battery Separators
4. Dry Process for Battery Separator Production
5. Wet Process for Battery Separator Production
6. Other Separator Production Processes
7. Ceramic Coated Separators
8. Unmet Needs for Battery Separators
9. Future Developments in Battery Separators
Mark T. DeMeuse is a Consultant at MTD Polymer Consulting. He specializes in materials development and polymer characterization methodologies, and has worked in the development of battery separators for use in lithium-ion batteries, including both dry and wet process technologies. Dr. DeMeuse has edited 2 published books in the area of polymer science.