The Sensor Technology Opportunity Engine (TOE) issue for November 2020 comprises of innovations in electronic skin, wearable sensors, chemical detection sensors, and natural gas sensors. Some of the key innovations profiled include electronic skin sensors with reduced hysteresis, printed wearable sensors, chemical detectors for first responders, resilient wearable gas sensors, farm water monitoring, proximity sensors, and humidity sensors among others.
The Sensor TOE captures global sensor-related innovations and developments on a monthly basis. Innovations are directed toward developing smart and intelligent sensors with functionalities beyond sensing. Research focus areas include: low power sensors (energy harvesting), industrial automation sensors (M2M, vision sensor), ubiquitous sensor (WSN, sensor fusion), smart sensors (wearables, quantified self), high sensitivity and smaller size (MEMS, nanosensors), and improved security (CBRNE, terahertz). The need for low power, smaller, lighter sensors with enhanced performance attributes and minimal false alarms is driving innovations in the sensors space.
The Sensors and Instrumentation cluster covers innovations pertaining to technologies such as wireless sensors and networks, energy harvesting, haptics and touch, MEMS and nanosensors, Terahertz, ubiquitous/smart sensors, CBRNE, quantified-self, sensor fusion, M2M communications, and drones.
1. Innovations in Sensors
- National University of Singapore, Singapore
- The Pennsylvania State University, US
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology, US - Growth Opportunities
- Environics OY, Finland - Growth Opportunities
- University of Colorado Boulder, US - Growth Opportunities
- Pennsylvania State University, US - Growth Opportunities
- Osaka University, Japan - Growth Opportunities
- Los Alamos National Laboratory, US - Growth Opportunities
- Senix Corporation, US - Growth Opportunities
- University of Washington, US - Growth Opportunities
- Omron Corporation, Japan - Growth Opportunities
- Sensirion AG, Switzerland - Growth Opportunities
- Ensilica Ltd. UK - Growth Opportunities
- Senseware Inc. US - Growth Opportunities
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras, India - Growth Opportunities
2. Key Contacts
- Ensilica Ltd.
- Environics OY
- Indian Institute of Technology Madras
- Los Alamos National Laboratory
- Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- National University of Singapore
- Omron Corporation
- Osaka University
- Pennsylvania State University
- Senix Corporation
- Senseware Inc.
- Sensirion AG
- The Pennsylvania State University
- University of Colorado Boulder
- University of Washington