1h Free Analyst TimeKlarna is a Swedish online payment services provider (PSP). Established in 2005, the company now serves over 147 million customers and is accepted by over 400,000 merchants across 45 countries. Klarna acquired SOFORT in 2014, turning it into one of the largest PSPs in the European ecommerce space. According to the publisher’s 2021 Financial Services Consumer Survey, Klarna accounts for 15% of all ecommerce sales in Sweden, 13% in Norway, and 8% in Finland.
Speak directly to the analyst to clarify any post sales queries you may have.
Klarna offers both immediate and pay-later options for ecommerce purchases, allowing customers to make payments after receiving the purchased items. It also offers an extended credit financing option through which users can make payments in monthly installments across up to 36 months. Klarna acts as a mediator between merchants and buyers and assumes the fraud and credit risk involved in transactions. To offer enhanced convenience, Klarna also offers an interest-free installment payment option, enabling customers to pay in three or four equal installments using a debit or credit card.
In June 2017, Klarna received a full banking license from Sweden’s financial supervisory authority, allowing it to offer banking products and services. In February 2021, Klarna launched banking services in Germany.
Klarna has been consistently expanding its geographic presence. It launched its services in Canada in February 2022, having previously expanded into Portugal in November 2021. As part of its inorganic growth strategy, Klarna continues to acquire new companies, which helps it enhance its product offerings for consumers and merchants. In June 2021 alone, it made three acquisitions: HERO, APPRL, and Stocard. Its latest acquisition, which it completed in April 2022, is PriceRunner, a Swedish-based price comparison platform. The acquisition enables Klarna to further enhance its customers’ shopping experience by enabling them to make more informed decisions.
The report provides information and insights into Klarna including:
- Detailed insight into its business
- Comprehensive coverage of its products and services
- Comparative assessment with key alternative payment solutions
- Information on its performance, including its revenue model
- The company's important events and milestones
- In February 2005, Klarna was founded under the name Kreditor in Sweden.
- In March 2017, Klarna partnered with ecommerce platform Shopify to enable merchants in nine countries (including the US and the UK) to offer their customers an instant financing option for online purchases.
- In March 2019, Klarna partnered with Google Pay, enabling Klarna card holders in Sweden to make payments using Google Pay.
- In February 2021, Klarna launched consumer banking services in Germany.
- In March 2022, Kalrna launched Klarna Kosma, a sub-brand and business unit to offer open banking services.
Reasons to Buy
- Gain insights into Klarna's business operations and key events.
- Gain insights into its product portfolio and revenue model.
- Assess the competitive dynamics in the alternative payments industry by comparing its performance against competitors.
Table of Contents
- Performance Highlights
- Revenue Model
- Products and Services
- Significant Events
- Key Acquisitions
- Supporting Merchants
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes: