The Optical Coordinate Measuring Machine Market was valued at USD 572.22 million in 2020 and expected to reach USD 638.24 million by 2026 and grow at a CAGR of 1.85% over the forecast period (2021-2026). Changing product designs, growing investments in industry 4.0, adoption of in-line solutions, and technological advancements are the key factors driving the growth of the market.
- As factory automation at manufacturing sites has steadily progressed, resulting in the rapid development of optical coordinate measuring machines. These are highly valued not only for their highly accurate measurements but also for their ability to check for defective parts on manufacturing lines. The latest models use enhanced components such as highly accurate CCD cameras to enable the observation of colour images. Moreover, the evolution of the associated software has made it possible to perform varied edge detections and to support complicated calculations.
- For instance, XM Series offered by Keyence America provides optical CMM that uses a handheld probe that has sensors that are read and tracked by the system's camera head. The XM requires no CNC programming and has no moving parts, so anyone can easily take 3D/GD&T measurements, anywhere.
- Most of the Optical CMM manufacturers have addressed the gaps in the precision measurement capabilities of the machine and the rapidly increasing need to integrate these machines into manufacturing operations by improving the design resulting in improved accuracy and lowered cost. For instance, in February 2020, Hexagon’s Manufacturing Intelligence division launched Captura, an optical coordinate measuring machine (CMM) that offers a multisensor measurement of small to medium parts in an intuitive and cost effective way.
- The ongoing spread of COVID-19 has negatively impacted the Optical CMM Market as many countries are under a state of lockdown and manufacturing and automotive industry are suffering as most of the facilities are being closed to contain the spread of the virus. Moreover, the market is also suffering from supply chain disruption and lowered demand which is expected to impact the growth of the market during the forecast period. For instance, Hexagon AB's interim revenues from January 2020 to June 2020 recorded a 13% decrease, in comparison to 2019 same period.
Key Market Trends
Automotive Segment is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The automotive industry is facing ever-reducing design-to-production times, automotive manufacturers and suppliers have embraced industrial metrology and 3D measurement as enablers of productivity, and thus, there is an increased demand for optical CMM within the industry.
- For instance, OGP UK’s FlexPoint range represents a new generation of large-format multi-sensor coordinate measuring systems support various tactile and non-contact sensors, point and line scan lasers, white light sensors, and a unique video sensor, all powered by advanced ZONE3 3D CAD-based metrology software.
- Recent trends include the move from off-line quality inspection to near-line or in-line measurement techniques, allowing higher sampling rates and faster inspection times. The most advanced automotive OEMs are working on automating inspection and integrating metrology data with product lifecycle management systems, statistical process control, and supply chain management software.
- Furthermore, the increasing emphasis on innovations in electric vehicle and autonomous cars are expected to fuel the adoption and demand for optical coordinate measuring machines over the forecast period. The recent goal of the German government is to produce and put 6 million electric vehicles on road by 2030 and one million by 2020, which is creating increased demand from the automotive sector. Such developments are expected to enhance the growth of the market.
Asia Pacific is Expected to Witness Significant Growth
- The Asia-pacific region is expected to witness robust growth during the forecast period, mainly due to the increasing demand of the optical coordinate measuring machines among the emerging economies across the region. China, India, and Japan are expected to witness high demand primarily related to end-user industries such as electronics and heavy machinery.
- In India, the manufacturing industry is among the high-growth sectors. Though India is far behind the rest of the world, in terms of automation, it is observed to be developing its automation quotient. The robot installation increased by 30%, from 2,627 units in 2017 to 3,412 units in 2018. Besides, IFR estimates that by 2020, the country is estimated to have a total of 6,000 industrial robots. The automotive sector is anticipated to remain the main driver of the increasing robot installations in India. It is likely to be among the primary sources of demand in the market.
- Korea is also a significant exporter of vehicles. According to ACEA, 68.3% of the production is exported among all the vehicles produced in Korea, making it one of the largest automotive exporting countries. This creates a demand of optical coordinate measuring machine for the inspection of automotive parts.
- Moreover, owing to multiple governmental initiatives in the region that are strengthening the manufacturing industry, key countries such as China and Japan are contributing towards the growth of the Optical CMM market in this region during the forecast period. Furthermore, countries like China and India are among the fastest-growing economies across the globe. Various international companies are starting to build their production units in these countries primarily to reduce their overall production cost and increase profitability. Such positive developments are expected to prolifirate the market growth during the forecast period.
The market appears to be moderately fragmented and the major strategies adopted by the major players are product innovation and mergers and acquisitions primarily to expand their product portfolio and to expand their geographic reach. Some of the major players in the market are Hexagon AB and Carl Zeiss AG among others.
- August 2020 - Hexagon released DELTA OPERA, as a large volume CMM to simplify the loading of large parts across industrial environments. By featuring a unique open structure, it leads its users to load workpieces from three sides of the CMM, making part loading quicker and flexible whilst protecting workpieces by avoiding collisions with the CMM structure.
- July 2020 - Wenzel and Nikon Metrology entered a distribution partnership. This distribution partnership provides customers with the ultimate combination of innovative CMMs, with Nikon Metrology’s laser scanning technology. WENZEL’s expertise and innovation in the CMM market, and Nikon Metrology’s peerless laser scanning technology will support the European customer base with tailored CMM laser scanning solutions to meet a wide variety of applications, industries and requirements.
- October 2019 - Mitutoyo America Corporation announced the release of the MiSCAN Vision System. MiSCAN is a multiple sensor microscopic-form measurement system using combined coordinate measuring machine (CMM) and vision measurement system technology and features a micro-form scanning probe.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.2.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.2.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.2.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.2.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.2.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
4.3 Impact of COVID-19 on the Optical CMM market
4.4 Evolution of the CMM Industry (Key market developments, Investments in CMM-based technological developments, Sensor technology advancements in CMM industry etc.)
5.1.1 Changing product designs and growing investments in industry 4.0
5.1.2 Adoption of in-line solutions and Technological advancements
5.2 Market Challenges (Slower replacement rates - Siloed Inspection Solutions, laser trackers etc.)
6.1.2 2D Vision Measurement Machine
6.1.3 3D Vision Measurement Machine
6.2 Segmentation by End User
6.2.1 Aerospace & Defense
6.2.3 Heavy Machinery and Metal Fabrication
6.2.4 Other End-user Industries
6.3 Segmentation by Machine Type
6.3.3 Other Types
6.4 Segmentation by Region
6.4.1 North America
6.4.3 Asia Pacific
6.4.4 Rest of the World (Latin America (Except Mexico) and Middle East and Africa)
7.1.1 Hexagon AB
7.1.2 Carl Zeiss AG
7.1.3 Mitutoyo America Corporation
7.1.4 Nikon Metrology NV
7.1.5 Micro Vu Corporation
7.1.6 Werth Messtechnik GmbH
7.1.7 OGP (Quality Vision International, Inc.)
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Hexagon AB
- Carl Zeiss AG
- Mitutoyo America Corporation
- Nikon Metrology NV
- Micro Vu Corporation
- Werth Messtechnik GmbH
- OGP (Quality Vision International, Inc.)