The clamshell labeling machine market is expected to reach a CAGR of 4% over the forecast period 2021-2026. Due to the demand for packaged foods (especially fruits and vegetables) in clamshell containers, standardization of SKU in clamshells is being pushed by commoditization and this standardization is being highly demanded by the retailers, where in coming years, manufacturers might put their own twist on a design to create a unique look. Moreover, the future of traditional clamshells is moving toward the use of 100 percent post-consumer recycled (PCR) materials. This is becoming a standard in sustainable packaging which signifies a new trend in the clamshell packaging and due to which the new labeling option will adhere to the demand for labeling equipment.
- Demand for hybrid clamshell drives the market. The North American market is inclining toward rigid trays with lidding films. These hybrid clamshell packs are lighter and are strong enough to protect the product inside and are specially used for fruits & vegetables and consumer goods. In shape, the present standard 40 by 48 North American or GMA pallet footprint is the major limitation on the design of clamshells. But changes in the shapes are rising due to cube optimization efforts and over the next two to three years, the market will fully move toward hybrid packaging that integrates some of the benefits of traditional clamshell packaging. This hybrid clamshell packaging drives the demand for labeling machines.
- The advantage of cost competitiveness against other forms of packaging drives the market. Due to the rise for threefold clamshell and the decreasing cost of clamshell due to its PET recycling effort is increasing the demand for clamshell packaging in end-users such as food, consumer goods, cosmetics, etc. The threefold clamshell is beneficial as the retail client has the way to merchandise their product by displaying their product in any form to create the product differentiation mostly through the full wrap labeling with tamper-evident functionality and high clarity visibility. This drives the demand for clamshell labeling equipment.
- One possible restraint to the growth of the clamshell packaging market is the utilization of plastic materials such as PET, PVC, PE, etc., which are considered harmful to the environment. This restraint the growth of the market.
Key Market Trends
Food Segment Accounted for a Substantial Growth
- Food packaging requires well-made packaging and a seal to protect the items inside from damage and contamination. According to IFOAM-Organics International, the worldwide sales of organic food increased to USD 97 billion in 2018 showing a growth of 7.7 % from the previous year. With the trend towards increasing growth every year, the demand for packaging increases that can provide a durable, resilient, and tamper-resistant packaging option.
- Thermoformed packaging is a smart choice for food manufacturers when cost and time to market are important considerations in addition to airborne contaminants protection for its safety and freshness. Thereby, clamshell plastic packaging comes into considerations where stock clamshell is highly being recommended with mostly full wrap labeling which securely seals the product and provides different visibility and appearance. This drives the demand for a clamshell labeling machine.
- The companies are designing a system for food processors and packagers which can label clamshells offline, online or semi-automatically. With online labeling systems, products can be labeled empty or after they have done filling and sealing. Multiple labeling heads are used for prime decorative labeling, barcoding, spot labeling, and required information labeling. A system can also be designed to close the clamshell and apply a tamper-evident label after the product has been loaded.
- The companies are manufacturing equipment that can comply with FDA requirements. For instance, Quadrel’s food-grade labeling system is ideal for baked goods, clamshells & tray packs. Here labels can be wrapped in a C format on the leading edge, top and bottoms of prepared food containers and design features such as a 316 stainless steel construction, totally enclosed motors, and food-grade belting have complied with the guidelines of FDA.
- In the United States, according to the Organic Trade Association, organic food sales reached USD 47.9 billion, for an increase of 5.9 percent and sales of organic non-food products jumped by 10.6 percent to USD 4.6 billion. These stats penetrates the demand for clamshell packaging which ultimately drives the demand for machine labeling.
- The companies are also constantly innovating machine performance to improve the appearance of food products while minimizing waste and improving production efficiency. For instance, Milwaukee Electric Tool Corporation, a United States company sells automatic banding machines that use an ultrasonic weld to keep paper or plastic labels belted around the products with no heat applied and no usage of adhesives. As the food industry, in the current market scenario looks for sustainable packaging, minimal waste, and attractive and innovative labeling, this innovation drives the growth for more labeling equipment in the future keeping sustainability as a priority.
Asia-Pacific to Witness a Market Growth
- E-commerce sector is driving the clamshell packaging in the Asia-Pacific region. According to GO-Globe, the e-commerce market in Asia-Pacific is estimated to reach USD 1.4 Trillion in 2020, where China accounts for 63.2% of digital buyers in Asia-Pacific followed by India (10.4%) and Japan (9.4%).
- According to GO-Globe, retail e-commerce accounts for 10.2% of all retail sales in Asia-Pacific and is projected to rise more than 20.4% of the total by 2020. Due to its high demand in these regions for electronic and household items, the usage of clamshell packaging drives the demand as this packaging with different customized labeling provides product differentiation, safety, tamper, and theft-resistant properties. These properties penetrate the growth of clamshell labeling equipment in these regions.
- Moreover, organic foods in India is relatively new but it is rapidly growing, and according to FSSAI, currently the Indian Organic market is valued at USD 563 million and is estimated to reach at USD 1.7 billion in next two years. With this estimated growth, the usage of clamshell packaging will penetrate a high demand as these packaging provides durability, resilient, and tamper-resistant packaging option along with point of sale with product appearance through labeling.
- Various labeling equipment companies such as GM packaging solutions, Sigma Equipment, in this region are constantly innovating their labeling equipment to provide more sustainability and comply with the government regulations.
The clamshell labeling machine market is mildly competitive because of the presence of many players running their business in national and international boundaries and some new players are entering the market to gain a competitive advantage. Key players are Pack Leader Machinery Inc., Nita Labeling Equipment, etc. Recent developments in the market are -
- Sep 2019 - Novolex expanded its portfolio with the launch of a new line of clamshell containers, where the company used Eco-Flute micro-flute corrugation to offer rigidity and crush strength during transportation. The containers have been produced using at least 33% post-consumer recycled content. With the launch of the new product line, the equipment market will penetrate more growth.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
Table of Contents
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Demand for Hybrid Clamshell
4.2.2 Advantage of Cost Competitiveness Against Other Forms of Packaging
4.3 Market Restraints
4.3.1 Environmental and Sustainability Issue Due to Usage of Plastics
4.4 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.4.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.4.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.4.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.4.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.4.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.1 Stock Clamshell
5.1.2 Custom Clamshell
5.2 End User
5.2.2 Electronics Goods
5.2.3 Consumer Goods
5.2.4 Other End Users
5.3.1 North America
5.3.4 Latin America
5.3.5 Middle-East & Africa
6.1.1 Pack Leader Machinery Inc.
6.1.2 Nita Labeling Equipment
6.1.3 Accent Label Automation
6.1.4 Label-Aire Inc.
6.1.5 Graphic Packaging International, Inc.
6.1.6 ProMach Inc. (EPI Labelers)
6.1.7 Autolabe Inc.
6.1.8 SIGMA Equipment
6.1.9 BW Packaging Systems
6.1.10 Weber Packaging Solutions
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Pack Leader Machinery Inc.
- Nita Labeling Equipment
- Accent Label Automation
- Label-Aire Inc.
- Graphic Packaging International, Inc.
- ProMach Inc. (EPI Labelers)
- Autolabe Inc.
- SIGMA Equipment
- BW Packaging Systems
- Weber Packaging Solutions