The European dietary supplement packaging market is expected to reach a CAGR of 6.5% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). In the EU, food supplements are regulated as foods, and harmonized legislation regulates the vitamins and minerals, and the substances used as their sources, which can be used to manufacture food supplements. The increasing consumption of these supplements due to growing awareness about health and fitness, coupled with rising vitamin and mineral deficiencies, boosts the growth of the packaging market.
- Further, the UK pharmaceutical industry is one of the significant engines of innovation and research of the country as well as in European region. The industry is spending billions of dollars on R&D, and employing a vast number of people, for highly skilled R&D roles. These massive investments and the proportion of skilled workers show how the United Kingdom is building the pipeline of medicines and dietary supplements. This is an excellent opportunity for packaging companies to boost their growth.
- According to the European Commission, 51 million children under five years of age are affected by malnutrition, and it is one of the leading causes of 45.0% of deaths in this age group. Moreover, the European Commission has dictated specific regulations and policies to protect consumers from potential health hazards and to ensure the accuracy of labeling information in the packaging. Furthermore, the growing geriatric population and surging healthcare costs in the region are expected to boost market growth.
- The companies offering dietary supplements are increasingly adopting newer technologies for packaging to establish their brand identity and increasingly spending on the innovations in packaging solutions for a significant market share. For instance, Roar Ambition, a U.K based sports nutrition company, partnered with Tricor Braun, a packaging firm, to develop a innovative packaging to boost its sales.
- With the recent outbreak of COVID 19, the packaging manufacturers are facing supply chain disruption along with decreasing manufacturing at the site in many parts of the world. Moreover, with the increasing demand for medical and healthcare supplies, packaging market will expect a growth in the market.
Key Market Trends
Glass Material to Drive the Market Growth
- Factors such as GDP growth, high disposable income, ease of availability, improvement in living standards, wide variety, and domestic and international players in the market are fueling the glass packaging in the region. For example, according to trading economics, consumer spending in Germany increased to EUR 428.5 billion in the last quarter of 2019, from EUR 419.9 billion in the last quarter of 2018.
- The demonization of plastic packaging and the increasing push for sustainability, along with the long-established infrastructure for recycling, have created a renewed push for glass bottles across the region. Moreover, the glass manufacturers have been key players in the re-use and recycling system of Germany. Gerresheimer, for instance, began producing glass with a higher proportion of recycled glass at the Tettau site in Germany. Many leading players, like Gerresheimer, are driving circularity and resource savings every day.
- According to The Federal Association of the German Glass Industry, ten big glass producers in Germany generate around 20% of the total glass industry revenue. Few big international glassmakers are presently dominating the market and are more interested in producing only one specific type of bottle. Also, the trend of customization is growing in the region, with demand for bespoke glass bottles increasing.
Italy to Hold Highest Market Share
- The Packaging industry in Italy is driven by various trends prevailing in the market. There is an increase in the living standard and personal disposable income, fueling the consumption across a broad range of products, along with subsequent growth in demand for dietary supplements. The dietary supplements benefit from the growing health culture and focus on prevention, rather than cure, for long-term health and hence driving the growth.
- Moreover, according to a report from Feder Salus, the Italian National Association of Health Products Manufacturers, reveals that 65% of Italian adults consume 2.5 kinds of dietary supplements every year, ranging from energy supplements and cardiovascular supplements to bone supplements and many others. Hence fuelling the growth for the market.
- With the increase in the innovation of the packaging process that majorly focuses on easily recyclable materials across the region. The consumer’s growing desire to recycle most of the waste materials across the packaging industry in Italy is, thereby, helping the industries in further development across the packaging sector. According to the European Glass Container Federation, 78% of the glass bottles and jars are collected and recycled into Italy's food-grade material which further adds up to the growth of the market.
The European dietary supplement packaging market is moderately fragmented. Players invest in R&D activities across the region, along with strategic collaborations, mergers, and acquisitions to expand their presence on the global level. Some of the recent developments in the market are :
- In Dec 2019 - Gerresheimer AG opened a new plant for the production of pharmaceutical primary plastic packaging in China.
- In August 2019 - Graham Packaging, a leader in the design and manufacturing of innovative and sustainable packaging solutions received the 2019 Sustainability Award from the Business Intelligence Group in the sustainability leadership (Organization) category.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Industry Supply Chain Analysis
4.3 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Consumers
4.3.3 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.2 Market Challenges
5.3 Market Opportunities
7.2 Impact of COVID-19 on Dietary Supplements Industry
7.3 Emerging Regulatory Environment for Food Supplements in the EU
7.4 Analysis on Top Selling Supplement Brands in Europe
22.214.171.124 Polypropylene (PP)
126.96.36.199 Polyethylene Terephthalate (PET)
188.8.131.52 Polyethylene (PE)
184.108.40.206 Other Types of Materials
8.1.4 Paper & Paperboard
8.2 By Product Type
8.2.1 Plastic Bottles
8.2.2 Glass Bottles
8.2.5 Paperboard Boxes
8.2.6 Other Product Types
8.3 By Formulation
8.4 By Country
8.4.1 United Kingdom
9.1.1 Alpha Packaging
9.1.2 Gerresheimer AG
9.1.3 Law Print & Packaging Management Ltd.
9.1.4 Moulded Packaging Solutions Limited
9.1.5 OPM (labels and packaging) Group Ltd
9.1.6 Novio Packaging B.V.
9.1.7 Graham Packaging Company