The IT Outsourcing market is expected to register a CAGR of 4.5% during the forecast period (2021 - 2026). With the onset of Coronavirus (COVID-19), the vulnerability of supply chains has been exposed. For most IT organizations, a fragile ecosystem included providers of critical IT services. In addition, work-from-home mandates have led the service providers to ensure that mission-critical enterprise customers have the necessary tools and technologies to enable the speed, security, quality, and overall efficacy of services provided.
- With digital transformation, organizations have become dependent on the success of creative applications and extensions that IT could provide. More certainly, IT has become a critical competitive edge for most of the organization. Moreover, IT outsourcing has become more than a simple cost reduction technique with cloud migrations and cloud services options. Therefore, this new form is driven by organizational motivations in terms of business growth, customer experience, and competitive disruption.
- Moreover, multiple studies have suggested that Application Development and Maintenance have become the most frequently outsourced functions amidst the partial IT outsourcing trends. Logicify, a Ukraine-based Software development company.
- Further, many IT market leaders have chosen Turkey as a regional hub, including Microsoft, Intel, and Hewlett-Packard. Additionally, Ankara, Turkey’s cosmopolitan capital, announced its ambitious ‘2023’ growth plan calls for investment to increase ICT’s contribution to GDP from 2.9% to 8%, creating a local ICT market of USD 160 billion, fuelled by increasing national R&D spend from today’s less than 1% to more like 3%.
- According to a study by RPA vendor UiPath, over 90% of organizations are already using technology to automate business processes, and 88% believe that automation will accelerate human achievement and is effective when it complements humans. This, in turn, requires a constant increase in the level of competency of employees, entailing additional costs for the organization. Resorting to specialist organizations (having vast internal expertise) will supplement the market studied.
- Further, vendors of the market studied have been observed to leverage partnerships or acquisitions. For instance, as of April 2020, Wipro partnered with Nutanix to target customers who want to consolidate databases into shared infrastructure, featuring a cloud-like experience. Hyperconverged infrastructure has similar capabilities as a public cloud, and Wipro has leveraged Nutanix’s Era to offer a Database-as-a-Service.
Key Market Trends
BFSI Sector Accounts For the Largest Market Share
- Financial organizations are increasingly outsourcing their processes and services to third parties. Banks can outsource everything from mailing campaigns to payment processing. Without a robust and comprehensive in-house IT department or trusted outside partner, banks have little chance to survive and attract customers.
- Modern customers need more personalized and streamlined access to banks' services. IT outsourcing vendors can handle the migration to omnichannel platforms that provide easy access from any device. Moreover, such platforms facilitate real-time data collection and analysis so that financial institutions can improve customers' experience. Hence such developments are driving IT outsourcing in the banks.
- Additionally, in the United Kingdom, 69% of people surveyed forecast outsourcing providers to work as systems integrators. Companies in the country close the highest number of IT outsourcing deals and the highest valued ones, shortly followed by companies in Germany. Financial services are predicting the most outsourcing, with half of the organizations planning to outsource more in the coming times.
- Moreover, the market is witnessing an increase in outsourcing contracts, thereby positively boosting the market's growth. For instance, IT services company Wipro announced that it had bagged an IT outsourcing contract worth around USD 300 million from ICICI Bank. It would offer a comprehensive suite of services to the lender.
- Further, in July 2020, IBM announced that several global banks, including BNP Paribas, one of Europe's largest banks, will join a growing ecosystem of financial institutions and more than 30 new technology providers adopting IBM Cloud for Financial Services. Additionally, IBM's collaboration with Bank of America, with the availability of the IBM Cloud Policy Framework for Financial Services, established an advanced technology of the cloud for enterprises with standard operational criteria.
Asia Pacific Accounts For Largest Market Share
- China has been one of the significant outsourcing destinations. The outsourcing industry weighs benefits that the majority of US companies find attractive. Reduced costs of development play a crucial role in retaining the original uses of outsourcing. King White, CEO of Site Selection Group, a global location advisor, believes that China can become one of the lucrative outsourcing markets, which is even more cost-competitive than India.
- In the process of accomplishment, the Government of China has designated 20 cities, including Beijing, Shanghai, Dalian, Shenzhen, Tianjin, Hangzhou, and Wuxi, which are home to significant outsourcing companies and IT services, as China Outsourcing Model Cities. The country is leveraging its ample human resources, low labor cost, and widespread high-quality telecommunications infrastructure.
- Further, India is one of the most mature global IT outsourcing destinations with many options. Since then, the country has been working in this direction for more than 25 years and has maintained its dominance among the top IT outsourcing destinations. With the demand for skilled software developers on the rise, IT outsourcing companies based out of the country are rapidly expanding their operations worldwide. The cost factor and talented skill pool have played a key role in assuring the country's dominance in the market. This has also led to the average developer hourly rate in India hovering around USD 30.
- Major IT firms, such as TCS, Infosys, HCL Technologies, Cyient, and L&T Technology Services, have direct exposure to Boeing or its suppliers' ecosystem. IT outsourcing contracts of more than USD 1 billion currently executed by these Indian IT enterprises are at risk of termination due to various external factors. For instance, Boeing has halted the production of its Boeing 737 Max jets in January 2020.
- Further, the Indian talent pool is well equipped with knowledge about cloud computing. It is taking advantage of more businesses migrating to cloud-based technologies, thus needing cloud-based testing and cloud security. The rising demand for software outsourcing vendors who provide technologies, such as blockchain, DevOps, and IoT, is added to the list. With several vendors providing these services in India, businesses can avail benefits, such as reducing the number of development cycles, resulting in the timely completion of the project, improved communication within the development team, increased recovery time, and reduced deployment failures along with cost reduction.
IT Outsourcing Market is highly competitive owing to multiple vendors in the market providing IT services to the domestic and the international markets. The market appears to be moderately fragmented, with the significant vendors adopting strategies for mergers and acquisitions, strategic partnerships, among others, to expand their reach and stay competitive in the market. Some of the major players in the market are IBM Corporation, DXC Technologies, Accenture PLC, Infosys Limited, Tata Consultancy Services Limited, among others. Some of the recent developments in the market are:
- February 2021 - Accenture and VMware have announced an expanded partnership and the launch of a dedicated business group that will help organizations adopt a cloud-first strategy. It will accelerate migration to the cloud, building modern apps more rapidly, and using the cloud as a foundation for innovation and new business models, ultimately realizing more excellent value.
- November 2020 - DXC Technology partnered with Infinia ML to expand its machine learning and data analytics offerings to help its customers manage and increase proficiency and value from their IT estates. The company aims to utilize the machine learning capabilities across its Enterprise Technology Stack.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
1.1 Study Assumptions and Market Definition
1.2 Scope of the Study
2 RESEARCH METHODOLOGY
3 EXECUTIVE SUMMARY
4 MARKET DYNAMICS
4.1 Market Overview
4.2 Market Drivers
4.2.1 Growing Demand for Efficiency and Scalable IT Infrastructure
4.2.2 Organization are increasingly focusing on IT as a means to gain differentiation by relying on outsourced vendors
4.2.3 Ongoing migration towards the cloud and adoption of virtualized infrastructure
4.3 Market Challenges
4.3.1 Fragmented Nature of The Market And Growing Incidence of Data Breaches
4.3.2 Dynamic needs of IT structure impacts the Cost of customization for end users
4.4 Impact of COVID-19 on the IT Outsourcing industry
4.5 Industry Attractiveness - Porter's Five Force Analysis
4.5.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.5.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.5.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.5.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.5.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5 MARKET ANALYSIS
5.1 Trends related to Onshoring & Offshoring
5.2 Breakdown of Outsourcing Industry - BPO vs IT-based outsourcing
5.3 Impact of the ongoing commodification of IT solutions
5.4 Analysis of IT Outsourcing and Managed Service industry
5.5 Breakdown of the major IT outsourcing segments - Application & Infrastructure
5.6 Impact of Digital Transformation and emergence of "As-a-Service" Model
6 MARKET SEGMENTATION
6.1 By Organization Size
6.1.1 Small and Medium Enterprises
6.1.2 Large Enterprises
6.2 By End-user Vertical
6.2.3 Media & Telecommunications
6.2.4 Retail & E-commerce
6.2.6 Other End-user verticals
6.3 By Geography
6.3.1 North America
18.104.22.168 United States
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 The Nordics
188.8.131.52 Rest of Europe
6.3.3 Asia Pacific
184.108.40.206 South Korea
220.127.116.11 Rest of Asia Pacific
6.3.4 Latin America
18.104.22.168 Rest of Latin America
6.3.5 Middle East and Africa
22.214.171.124 Gulf Cooperation Council (GCC)
126.96.36.199 South Africa
188.8.131.52 Rest of Middle East and Africa
7 COMPETITIVE LANDSCAPE
7.1 Company Profiles
7.1.1 IBM Corporation
7.1.2 DXC Technologies
7.1.3 Accenture PLC
7.1.4 NTT Corporation
7.1.5 Infosys Limited
7.1.6 Tata Consultancy Services
7.1.7 Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation
7.1.8 Capgemini SE
7.1.9 Wipro Limited
7.1.10 Andela Inc.
7.1.11 WNS Global Services
7.1.12 Pointwest Technologies
7.1.13 ATOS SE
7.1.14 Amadeus IT Group
7.1.15 Specialist Computer Centres (SCC)
7.1.16 HCL Technologies Ltd.
8 RELATIVE RANKING ANALYSIS OF THE MAJOR IT OUTSOURCING COMPANIES OPERATING WORLDWIDE
9 MARKET OUTLOOK
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- IBM Corporation
- DXC Technologies
- Accenture PLC
- NTT Corporation
- Infosys Limited
- Tata Consultancy Services
- Cognizant Technology Solutions Corporation
- Capgemini SE
- Wipro Limited
- Andela Inc.
- WNS Global Services
- Pointwest Technologies
- ATOS SE
- Amadeus IT Group
- Specialist Computer Centres (SCC)
- HCL Technologies Ltd.