The global mosquito repellent market is projected to grow at a CAGR of 3.87% during the forecast period (2021-2026).
- Mosquito repellent market is growing rapidly due to rise in incidence of mosquito-borne diseases as chikungunya, dengue, filariasis, or yellow fever followed by many governments initiatives for mosquito control programmes. Regions such as North America, Asia Pacific, and Europe have witnessed a large number of cases of dengue, malaria, and chikungunya in the past years.
- However, application of low-cost but toxic chemicals in manufacturing of mosquito repellent, such as DEET, in various mosquito repellent products causes ill effects on human health, and are likely to obstruct the growth of this market for medium term.
- Thus, an increasing number of manufacturers both global as well as local plyaers are investing in the research and development to overcome the prevailing problem associated with toxic chemicals in mosiquto repllent and offer innovative product offerings under competitive price range. For instance in 2016, Fit Organic, a subsidiary of HealthPro Brand, launched Fit Organic Mosquito Repellent Spray,which is a organic certified repellent scientifically proven as effective as DEET for up to three hours, yet safe for pregnant women and children.
- The concurrent circulation of dengue and coronavirus disease 2019 (COVID-19) may produce many unfavourable outcomes-such as co-infections. Consequently, the health community and policy makers are developing proactive policies and allocating adequate resources to prevent and manage the resurgence of dengue and other vector-borne diseases in the new era of COVID-19.
- Thus, such situations has increased the sales of mosiquto repellents across the globe primarly in worst hit countries such as India, United States, Brazil and Italy.
Key Market Trends
Increased Incidence of Mosquito Borne Diseases
Key driver of the global mosquito repellent market is increased incidence of mosquito-borne diseases such as malaria, dengue, chikungunya, yellow fever, zika virus, and others across the globe. The year 2016 was characterized by large dengue outbreaks, worldwide. According to the World Health Organization (WHO), vector-borne diseases account for more than 17 percent of all infectious diseases, causing more than 700,000 deaths annually. These diseases can be caused either by parasites, viruses, or bacteria. Out of all vector-borne diseases, dengue is the most prevalent viral infection causing an estimated 40,000 deaths every year. Additionally, the American region reported more than 2.38 million cases in 2016, whereas, Brazil alone contributed slightly less than 1.5 million cases. Similarly, in 2020, the Pan American Health Organization (PAHO) reported 2 206 612 suspected and confirmed dengue cases and 900 deaths, in the Americas region alone. This corresponds to a 30% decrease compared to 2019 figures. The five countries reporting most cases are: Brazil (1 418 296 cases), Paraguay (221 544), Mexico (114 642), Bolivia (84 146) and Colombia (75 246). Owing to these factors, competitors are focusing on promoting their products through integrated communication platforms, such as TVs, newspapers, billboards, hoardings, and social media, to create awareness about mosquito-related diseases. This, in turn, increases the demand for their mosequto repellent offerings.
Asia Pacific is the Fastest Growing Market
Asia-Pacific is expected to witness the fastest growth rate in the mosquito repellent market, due to high awareness of mosquito-borne diseases, government and non-government supported programs to minimize the mosquito borne disease etc. For instance, the launch of the campaign in Delhi (India) to tackle vector-borne diseases like chikungunya and dengue while increasing the participation of residents in preventing their spread. Additionally, increasing penetration of modern mosquito repellent products such as vaporizers, sprays, creams, repellent fabrics, etc., is further anticipated to fuel the market growth during the forecast period. Also, with substancial growth, the region has witnessed an increasing number of product innoavtions in terms of functional attributes such as skin friendly, organic/natural, fragrance and others. For instance in 2019 Aunt Fannie's launched two new mosquito repellent sprays that are DEET-free and are made of essential oils, making it effective while protecting kids and adults from mosquito bites.
Reckitt Benckiser Group, The Godrej Company, Dabur International, Coglans Ltd., S.C Johnson & Son, Johnson and Johnson, Spectrum Brands, Jyothi Labs, and others are some of the major players in the industry. Companies operating in the market studied are differentiating their offerings in terms of functionalities, ingredients, price, odour, packaging, and format, in order to gain competitive advantage. Manufacturers are focusing on producing innovative insect repellent products by using natural ingredients, in order to have an extensive, established product portfolio for their target consumers. For instance, Godrej has launched its new lime flavor mosquito hit that eventually kills mosquitoes without even changing the aroma of the place. Additionally, advertisements and paid promotions play an important role in the industry.
- The market estimate (ME) sheet in Excel format
- 3 months of analyst support
This product will be delivered within 2 business days.
1.2 Scope of the Study
4.2 Market Restraints
4.3 Porter's Five Forces Analysis
4.3.1 Threat of New Entrants
4.3.2 Bargaining Power of Buyers/Consumers
4.3.3 Bargaining Power of Suppliers
4.3.4 Threat of Substitute Products
4.3.5 Intensity of Competitive Rivalry
5.1.1 Spray/ Aerosols
5.1.2 Cream & Oil
5.1.3 Vaporizer (Liquid and Paper)
5.1.4 Other Products
5.2 By End User
5.3 By Distribution Channel
5.3.2 Convenience Stores
5.3.3 Online Retailers
5.3.4 Other Distribution Channels
5.4 By Geography
5.4.1 North America
220.127.116.11 United States
18.104.22.168 Rest of North America
22.214.171.124 United Kingdom
126.96.36.199 Rest of Europe
188.8.131.52 Rest of Asia-Pacific
5.4.4 South America
184.108.40.206 Rest of South America
5.4.5 Middle East & Africa
220.127.116.11 South Africa
18.104.22.168 Saudi Arabia
22.214.171.124 Rest of Middle East and Africa
6.2 Most Adopted Strategies
6.3 Market Positioning Analysis
6.4 Company Profiles
6.4.1 Spectrum Brands, Inc.
6.4.2 Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
6.4.3 Coghlans Ltd
6.4.4 Godrej Consumer Products Ltd
6.4.5 Enesis Group
6.4.6 Jyothy Laboratories
6.4.7 Dabur India Ltd
6.4.8 S. C. Johnson & Son
6.4.9 Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Spectrum Brands, Inc.
- Henkel AG & Co. KGaA
- Coghlans Ltd
- Godrej Consumer Products Ltd
- Enesis Group
- Jyothy Laboratories
- Dabur India Ltd
- S. C. Johnson & Son
- Reckitt Benckiser Group PLC