- Even though the IPTV segment is experiencing strong growth, total pay-TV subscribers have been declining each year since 2013, and will continue to decline over the 2021-2026 forecast period.
- The surge in SVOD accounts from Covid-19 will result in slower growth over 2021-2026. Canada's SVOD accounts are expected to grow at a CAGR of 6.5% over the forecast period, reaching 27.2 million in 2026, as a result of consumer take-up of existing services.
- Over the forecast period, the smartphone subscription penetration of the population will rise to 88.6% by 2026, supported by easy installment options promoted on smartphones by operators.
- 4G subscriptions represented 87.6% share of the total mobile subscriptions in 2021. However, its share will decrease drastically to reach 60.4% by 2025, due to user migration to 5G services.
- Pay-TV operators massed 10.6 million subscribers in 2021, a 1.9% decline from 2020.
- Canada had an estimated 19.9 million subscription video-on-demand (SVOD) accounts at the end of 2021, an increase of almost 2.0 million or 11.0% from 2020.
- Total mobile subscriptions in Canada reached 42.5 million in 2021, an increase of 2.5 million or 6.3% on 2020. Over the 2021-2026 forecast period, total mobile subscription will grow at a CAGR of 4.5%, with operators adding a combined 10.5 million subscriptions and bringing the country's total to 53.0 million by 2026.
- Total fixed broadband lines in Canada will increase from 15.9 million in 2021 to 18.7 million by 2026, driven by the investment from the operators and the governments, both federal and provincial, in expanding broadband coverage across the country.
Reasons to Buy
- This Sports Broadcasting Media Report offers a thorough, forward-looking analysis of the Canadian television and telecommunications markets, and service providers in a concise format to help executives build proactive and profitable growth strategies.
- Accompanying the publisher's Forecast products, the report examines the assumptions and drivers behind ongoing and upcoming trends in the Canadian pay-TV, SVOD, mobile handset and residential fixed broadband markets, including the evolution of service provider market shares.
- With 23 charts and tables, the report is designed for an executive-level audience, boasting presentation quality.
Table of Contents
- Population and household context
- Television services market
- SVOD services market
- Mobile services market: Handsets
- Fixed broadband services market: Residential
- Competitive landscape
- Data tables
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Amazon Prime Video