Antidepressants Global Market Report 2021: COVID-19 Implications And Growth To 2030 covers this critical market and the impact on it from the COVID-19 virus. It provides strategists, marketers and senior management with the critical information they need to assess the increasing demand for antidepressants which play a critical role in the treatment of patients with COVID-19.
Reasons to Purchase
- Gain a truly global perspective with the most comprehensive report available on this market covering 12+ geographies.
- Understand how the market is experiencing rapid growth due to the coronavirus and how it is likely to stabilize as the impact of the virus abates.
- Create regional and country strategies on the basis of local data and analysis.
- Identify growth segments for investment.
- Outperform competitors using forecast data and the drivers and trends shaping the market.
- Understand customers based on the latest market research findings.
- Benchmark performance against key competitors.
- Utilize the relationships between key data sets for superior strategizing.
- Suitable for supporting your internal and external presentations with reliable high quality data and analysis
Where is the largest and fastest growing market for the antidepressants? How does the market relate to the overall economy, demography and other similar markets? What forces will shape the market going forward? The Antidepressants market global report answers all these questions and many more.
The report covers market characteristics, size and growth, segmentation, regional and country breakdowns, competitive landscape, market shares, trends and strategies for this market. It traces the market’s historic and forecast market growth by geography. It places the market within the context of the wider antidepressants market, and compares it with other markets.
- The market characteristics section of the report defines and explains the market.
- The market size section gives the market size ($b) covering both the historic growth of the market, the influence of the COVID-19 virus and forecasting its growth.
- Market segmentations break down market into sub markets.
- The regional and country breakdowns section gives an analysis of the market in each geography and the size of the market by geography and compares their historic and forecast growth. It covers the growth trajectory of COVID-19 for all regions, key developed countries and major emerging markets.
- Competitive landscape gives a description of the competitive nature of the market, market shares, and a description of the leading companies. Key financial deals which have shaped the market in recent years are identified.
- The trends and strategies section analyses the shape of the market as it emerges from the crisis and suggests how companies can grow as the market recovers.
- The antidepressants market section of the report gives context. It compares the antidepressants market with other segments of the antidepressants market by size and growth, historic and forecast. It analyses GDP proportion, expenditure per capita, antidepressants indicators comparison.
1) By Product: Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI); Serotonin-norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor (SNRI); Tricyclic Antidepressant (TCA); Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI)
2) By Drug Class: Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitors; Serotonin Antagonist And Reuptake Inhibitors; Serotonin-Norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitors; Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitors; Tricyclic Antidepressants3) By Depressive Disorder: Major Depressive Disorder; Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder; Generalized Anxiety Disorder; Panic Disorder
Companies Mentioned: Allergan PLC; AstraZeneca; Eli Lilly and Company; GlaxoSmithKline PLC; H. Lundbeck AS
Countries: Argentina; Australia; Austria; Belgium; Brazil; Canada; Chile; China; Colombia; Czech Republic; Denmark; Egypt; Finland; France; Germany; Hong Kong; India; Indonesia; Ireland; Israel; Italy; Japan; Malaysia; Mexico; Netherlands; New Zealand; Nigeria; Norway; Peru; Philippines; Poland; Portugal; Romania; Russia; Saudi Arabia; Singapore; South Africa; South Korea; Spain; Sweden; Switzerland; Thailand; Turkey; UAE; UK; USA; Venezuela; Vietnam
Regions: Asia-Pacific; Western Europe; Eastern Europe; North America; South America; Middle East; Africa
Time series: Five years historic and ten years forecast.
Data: Ratios of market size and growth to related markets, GDP proportions, expenditure per capita.
Data segmentations: country and regional historic and forecast data, market share of competitors, market segments.
Sourcing and Referencing: Data and analysis throughout the report is sourced using end notes.
What is the estimated value of the Global Antidepressants Market?
What is the growth rate of the Global Antidepressants Market?
What is the forecasted size of the Global Antidepressants Market?
Who are the key companies in the Global Antidepressants Market?
5.1.1. Drivers Of The Market
5.1.2. Restraints On The Market
5.2. Global Antidepressants Forecast Market, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
5.2.1. Drivers Of The Market
5.2.2. Restraints On the Market
- Selective Serotonin Reuptake Inhibitor (SSRI)
- Serotonin-norepinephrine Reuptake Inhibitor (SNRI)
- Tricyclic Antidepressant (TCA)
- Monoamine Oxidase Inhibitor (MAOI)
- Monoamine oxidase inhibitors
- Serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitors
- Serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors
- Selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors
- Tricyclic antidepressants 3
- Major Depressive Disorder
- Obsessive-Compulsive Disorder
- Generalized Anxiety Disorder
- Panic Disorder
7.2. Global Antidepressants Market, Split By Country, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
- Region Information, Impact Of COVID-19, Market Information, Background Information, Government Initiatives, Regulations, Regulatory Bodies, Major Associations, Taxes Levied, Corporate Tax Structure, Investments, Major Companies
9.2. China Antidepressants Market, Segmentation By Product, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F,$ Billion
15.2. Western Europe Antidepressants Market, Segmentation By Product, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
19.2. Eastern Europe Antidepressants Market, Segmentation By Product, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
21.2. North America Antidepressants Market, Segmentation By Product, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
22.2. USA Antidepressants Market, Segmentation By Product, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
23.2. South America Antidepressants Market, Segmentation By Product, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
25.2. Middle East Antidepressants Market, Segmentation By Product, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
26.2. Africa Antidepressants Market, Segmentation By Product, Historic and Forecast, 2015-2020, 2020-2025F, 2030F, $ Billion
27.2. Antidepressants Market Company Profiles
27.2.1. Allergan PLC
184.108.40.206. Products and Services
220.127.116.11. Financial Performance
18.104.22.168. Products and Services
22.214.171.124. Financial Performance
27.2.3. Eli Lilly and Company
126.96.36.199. Products and Services
188.8.131.52. Financial Performance
27.2.4. GlaxoSmithKline PLC
184.108.40.206. Products and Services
220.127.116.11. Financial Performance
27.2.5. H. Lundbeck AS
18.104.22.168. Products and Services
22.214.171.124. Financial Performance
31.3. Research Inquiries
31.4. The Publisher
31.5. Copyright And Disclaimer
The global antidepressants market is expected to decline from $26.25 billion in 2020 to $15.87 billion in 2021 at a compound annual growth rate (CAGR) of -39.5%. The change in growth trend is mainly due to the companies stabilizing their output after catering to the demand that grew exponentially during the COVID-19 pandemic in 2020. The market is expected to reach $21.28 billion in 2025 at a CAGR of 7.6%.
The antidepressants market consists of sales of antidepressants and related services that are used in retail pharmacies, hospitals and clinics. Antidepressants are drugs that can help to alleviate depressive symptoms, social anxiety disorder, anxiety disorders, seasonal affective disorder, and dysthymia, or moderate persistent depressive, as well as other conditions. The antidepressant medications available include the antagonists of SSRIs or selective serotonin reuptake, MAOIs or monoamine oxidase inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants, tetracyclic antidepressants and others.
The antidepressants market covered in this report is segmented by product into selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI), serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitor (SNRI), tricyclic antidepressant (TCA), monoamine oxidase inhibitor (MAOI); by drug class into monoamine oxidase inhibitors, serotonin antagonist and reuptake inhibitors, serotonin-norepinephrine reuptake inhibitors, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, tricyclic antidepressants and by depressive disorder into major depressive disorder, obsessive-compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder, panic disorder.
The regions covered in this report are Asia-Pacific, Western Europe, Eastern Europe, North America, South America, Middle East and Africa.
Globally, rising cases of mental health disorders are the key factor in the growth of the antidepressant drug industry, as many customers rely on these medications to counter depression, anxiety disorder and other mental diseases. Antidepressant medications are used in conditions such as depression, OCD, childhood enuresis, major depressive disorder, severe anxiety disorder, bipolar disorder, post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD), and social anxiety disorder. Globally, the percentage of people with depression varies from 2% to 6% and the elderly are at greater risk of depression compared to other age groups. According to WHO, in 2020, about 264 million people of all ages worldwide suffered from depression. Therefore, rising cases of mental health disorders is expected to drive the growth of the antidepressant market.
The side-effects of antidepressant drugs is a key factor hampering the growth of the antidepressant market. For instance, the antidepressants Lexapro (escitalopram) and Celexa (citalopram), both are used to treat depression and Lexapro also helps for treating anxiety. Lexapro and Celexa can cause side effects common to others which include nausea, sleeplessness, sweating, dry mouth and drowsiness. Celexa and Lexapro are both at risk for even more serious side effects including excessive bleeding, seizures and vision issues. Therefore, the side-effects of antidepressant drugs is expected to limit the growth of the antidepressant market.
In May 2018, Allergan, an Ireland based company, focused on developing, manufacturing and commercializing branded pharmaceutical, device, biologic, surgical and regenerative medicine products for patients around the world acquired Aptinyx for an unclosed amount. Through this acquisition Allergan gained important insights into NMDA receptor modulation as a potential therapeutic approach for depression. Aptinyx, a clinical-stage biopharmaceutical company focused on the discovery and development of transformative therapies for challenging neurologic disorders.
The antidepressants market has also surged during the covid-19 outbreak. The increasing number of cases and fatalities is affecting the mental health by elevating anxiety worldwide. People who are already living with mental health problems are experiencing increased stress levels over the COVID-19 outbreak. This has triggered the demand for antidepressant drugs.
The treatment for resistant depression is a key trend in the antidepressant market. Ketamine is the new treatment that is used for anesthesia during surgery, stimulates the development of glutamate, and prompts the brain to form new neural connections. It makes the brain more adaptable and capable of developing new pathways and helps people to create more optimistic thoughts and behaviors. In 2019, Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approved a new ketamine depression drug esketamine which is one half of the ketamine compound. The drug must be administered as a nasal spray and patients must be taking another antidepressant at the same time. Also, the drugs can be prescribed to only those patients who have (unsuccessfully) tried two antidepressants before.
The countries covered in the market report are Australia, Brazil, China, France, Germany, India, Indonesia, Japan, Russia, South Korea, UK, USA.
A selection of companies mentioned in this report includes:
- Allergan PLC
- Eli Lilly and Company
- GlaxoSmithKline PLC
- H. Lundbeck AS
- Johnson & Johnson
- Pfizer Inc.
- Merck & Co. Inc.
- Sun Pharmaceuticals Pvt Ltd
- Bristol Myers Squibb Company
- Teva Pharmaceutical Industries
- Eli Lilly and Co.
- Takeda Pharmaceutical Co. Ltd
- Forest laboratories
- Akeda Pharmaceutical