Discusses new devices for lung isolation, new lung protection protocols, new information on post-operative complications, and new drugs for modulating pulmonary circulation.
Covers 20 key procedures including tracheal resection, esophagectomy, mediastinoscopy, mediastinal mass, SVC syndrome, and more.
Describes complex surgeries related to the lungs, pleura, diaphragm, and esophagus.
Provides case studies and clinical vignettes to illustrate and support case management decisions.
Offers highly practical guidance for quick reference from editor Dr. Edmond Cohen and a team of expert contributing authors from around the world.
Features extensive illustrations throughout, including clinical photos and drawings, radiographic images, device images, charts, and graphs.
Enhanced eBook version included with purchase. Your enhanced eBook allows you to access all of the text, figures, and references from the book on a variety of devices.
Section I: Preoperative Assessment 1. The Development of Thoracic Anesthesia and Surgery 2. Anatomic Correlates of Physiologic Function 3. Radiology of the Thorax 4. Intra-Thoracic Tumors: Current Status and Classification 5. Pulmonary Pathophysiology and Lung Mechanics in Anesthesiology 6. PHYSIOLOGY OF THE LATERAL POSITION AND ONE-LUNG VENTILATION 7. Modulating the Pulmonary Circulation: Nitric Oxide and Beyond
Section II: Preoperative Preparation
8. Preoperative Evaluation - Assessment of Preoperative Risk 9. Prerehabilitation for Thoracic Surgery
Section III: Intraoperative
10. Positioning in Thoracic Surgery 11. Monitoring of Oxygenation and Ventilation 12. Hemodynamic Monitoring in Thoracic Surgical Patients 13. Flexible and Rigid Bronchoscopy in Thoracic Anesthesia 14. High Frequency Ventilation: Applications in Thoracic Anesthesia
Section IV: Intraoperative Management
15. Anesthesia, Mechanical Ventilation and Hypoxic Pulmonary Vasoconstriction 16. Separation of the Lung: Double-Lumen Endotracheal Tubes and Endobronchial Blockers 17. Lung Isolation in Patients with a Difficult Airway in Thoracic Anesthesia 18. The Pathophysiology of Perioperative Lung Injury 19. Intraoperative lung injury during One-Lung Ventilation: causes and prevention 20. Management of One Lung Ventilation: Protective Lung Ventilation 21. Fluid Management During Lung Resection 22. Perioperative Arrhythmias During Thoracic Surgery 23. Anesthesia for Pediatric Thoracic Surgery
Section V: Post Operative Management
24. Postoperative Pain Management of Acute Pain 25. Post-Thoracotomy Chronic Pain 26. Postoperative Care of the Thoracic Patient 27. Postthoracotomy Complications 28. Extracorporeal Ventilatory Therapies
Section VI: Specific Anesthetic Considerations
29. Lung Volume Reduction Surgery 30. The Patient With Cardiovascular Disease for Lung Resection Surgery 31. Video Assisted Thoracoscopy: Multiportal, Uniportal 32. Endoscopic Treatment of COPD 33. Thoracic Trauma 34. Mediastinal Mass and SVC Syndrome 35. Mediastinoscopy 36. Lung Resection and Pulmonary Hypertension 37. Tubeless Thoracic Procedures 38. Thoracic Anesthesia for the Geriatric Patient 39. Thoracic Aortic Aneurysm Resection 40. Wedge Resection, Lobectomy, Pneumonectomy 41. Repair of Pectus Excavatum 42. Tracheal Resection and Reconstruction 43. Lung Transplantation 44. Esophageal Procedures 45. Airway Fistulas in Adults 46. Thoracic Approach to Spine Procedures 47. Myasthenia Gravis and Thymectomy 48. Hemoptysis, Empyema 49. Thoracic Anesthesia in the Morbidly Obese Patient: Obstructive Sleep Apnea 50. Cystic Fibrosis 51. Tracheal Stents 52. Robotic Thoracic Surgery 53. Enhanced Recovery After Thoracic Surgery 54. Ultrasound of the Lung: Clinical Applications 55. Transesophageal Echocardiography in Noncardiac Thoracic Surgery